Fly fishing Christmas gifts

My wife bought me my 2001 license. This was the traditional Valentine’s Day gift. She did the same for our two sons. Also, a gift certificate for the local fly shop. She always wants to see how I spend $200.00 and it fits in a tiny brown bag.

Moon wrote:
I drank beer all day starting around 7am and my family kind of tolerated me.

Translation:. Niagara NY was sold out of Labatt's

:-D :pint:

Maxima,

Well played.

Every year my in laws get me my fishing license, a 12 pack, and a few gift cards to different fishing shops.

I've been wanting to get into musky on the fly for quite a while. Been throwing conventional tackle for them for a long time and finally got a decent rig.
Rod is a 10/11 wt chippewa river, reel is a cheap 8 wt w/ 450 grain line (sa sonar musky). After more research, thinking I perhaps should have gone heavier (12-14 wt)?, but we'll see how it goes.
Hoping to give it a try on the jet boat in the next couple weeks.

Korkers Terror Ridge wading boots and a CRB Basic Rod Building Start-Up Kit. CRB kit is on backorder until mid Jan but I'm excited for it to get here and try my hand at building my first rod.

I get so much trout related stuff every year it's awesome. This year my girlfriend decked out my new tying desk though with some super old school bronze duck bookends, slate fly printed coasters, a Gierach book, and some other cool odds and ends.

Then I decided I've been such a good boy this year I owe myself a reel so new Galvan on the way

Clams: I have my eye on the same setup. How did you like it?

Fly-Swatter,

I purchased that exact same Orvis rod/reel combo in the above post to take a euro nymph class with TCO on Spring Creek just north of State College, PA.

There were four of us in the class and all of us had the same rod/reel combo. Great way to get started. We all caught at least two trout, and I hooked and lost several others.

LL Bean Wading jacket and a gift card to Orvis, which I'll probably use for tying materials and some flouro tippet that I always hate to pay for.

I usually get money to take to the fly fishing show in Somerset NJ. It has been a tradition for a good many years. They cancelled it for this spring. I told my wife to forget it for this year. I have so much stuff for fly fishing now that I can take a break until next years show. I did get my 2021 license and button though.

Canoetripper; Thanks!

A Helios 3D 9' 4 weight - a fine gift.

Clams: I have my eye on the same setup. How did you like it?

Fly Swatter, it's my first nymphing setup so I don't have anything to compare it to, but it's a great price and the rod and reel both seem solid. Will be nice to have a dedicated nymphing setup since to date I've been using my 9' 4 wt for everything - tightlining, throwing dries, streamers etc.

The X factor is the hydros tactical nymphing line which I was not familiar with. As I understand it (or, as Lenny at TCO in Haverford explained it) it's basically a very light (1 wt) fly line which eliminates the need for a long mono line. I took Lenny's advice and built a leader with 40" pieces of maxima 20#, 15# and 12# which tapers down to 2 feet of 0x sighter, and then my tippet. The leader is about 12 feet and is attached to the nymphing line. Should be perfect for tightlining and also allow me to throw some dries or streamers if conditions warrant without changing my entire setup.

Used the setup for the first time earlier this week and landed a fat 18" brown which the rod and reel had no trouble with. Looking forward to using it a bunch in 2021.

Cool, Clams. Thanks!

Back