Fly fishing Christmas gifts

JMP

JMP

Did anyone receive any fly fishing gifts from Santa?

I bought my GF a PA voucher for a license for 2021. And I plan on bulding her a Rod,and also getting her a reel and all the little things that make the sport possible. As for myself, Ive never received a flyfishing gift yet, after being a flyfisher for 30 plus years, I guess nobody, including my family, understands me.

Nada which is sad

I drank beer all day starting around 7am and my family kind of tolerated me.

I got the rock creek chest pack from umpqua. It has a detachable back pack which will be very useful on longer trips. Tried it out for the first time on Sunday and it's a major upgrade over my orvis one.

I got an official Red Ryder, carbine action, 200-shot, range model air rifle, with a compass in the stock.

Korkers Devil Canyon and 10 yr fishing license + 10 yr trout stamp.

CLSports wrote:
I got an official Red Ryder, carbine action, 200-shot, range model air rifle, with a compass in the stock.
You will shoot your eye out! Be careful. I triple dog dare ya!

Santa aka:me, brought me Simms Flyweight Wading Boots earlier in December. I used them once and liked them a lot.

Santa really knows what I need.

I got some thread, floss, hooks, and another bobbin holder for tying.

CLSports wrote:
What, no "thing that tells time?"

I got Spey Casting by Simon Gawesworth and my 2021 fishing license.

Actually it was all i wanted so im good.

Over the years I got to be quite a connoisseur of soap. Though my personal preference was for Lux, I found that Palmolive had a nice, piquant after-dinner flavor. Heavy, but with a touch of mellow smoothness.

Packable down jacket under the tree, to replace a bulky soft shell that I attempt to stuff in my pack when I get too hot hiking around in the Winter. Wore it once, and it performed well. Both in terms of thermal regulating and packability.

Post Christmas binge purchase yesterday...Have been in the market for a 10’ rod as I’ve gotten more into nymphing recently. Honest - I went on to STP just looking to see if they had any DT fly lines to replace one on one of my Brookie reels. They didn’t. (Sidebar - DT’s are getting increasingly more difficult to find it seems. I like them for Brookie fishing because you don’t really ever use more than half of the line, and you can get double the life by turning them around, or cutting them in half and only putting half on a time.) Anyway, back to the rod. I almost pulled the trigger on an Orvis Clearwater a few times, but didn’t. Ended up not being able to lay off a Fenwick Fenlite Streamflex (successor to the former Greys line) 10’ 5wt. A little heavy for strictly nymphing, but I’ll appreciate the versatility of the 5wt for all day outings away from the vehicle where I may be switching tactics.

If anyone’s in the market, STP has a nice selection of lengths/weights of these rods on close out. $130, sticker was $350. Not often a fan of buying before testing, but at that price point for that quality of a rod it’s a gamble I can live with if it doesn’t work out and I sell/trade it later.

Got a drunk and disorderly fly tying kit from the slide in.

Let's see,

I gave, fly vest, fly rod 8 1/2 ft. 5-6 wt., sink tip fly line, New bait buckets, new bait boxes, hooks, handmade spinners, knives, fly box filled with wets and dries, tip ups, jigs, spoons, ice jig rods, ice spinning rods, lures, sinkers, and more. Gave leaders across the U S A. Leaders were random and to best customers.

I received, bobbin. dubbing tool, knife, books, Dumb Luck and the Kindness Of Strangers- John Gierach, The Snowfly- Joseph Heywood, a few cards, emails, handshakes and smiles.

To be truthful, it is not what i gave, it is what i received-"Whole Lotta Good Feeling". Love you man, would take 4 hands of fingers, thank you will last a lifetime and when we going fishing, is quite near. On the leaders, i am telling all my friends, i am spreading it around on social media, I am coming back!

What was given, was a token of appreciation. What will come back is a Mountain of Friendship! 2021 will be big!

Maxima12

I must add this---It is not what you get, it is what you give.

Take an ear-----Tesla--------What you give!

Yes, i am crazy and out of my head! Lucky to have 2 heads! One i think and the 2nd i shake! How bout that! Just like you! Brother!

Maxima12

“A fool tells you what he will do; a boaster what he has done. The wise man does it and says nothing.”

A better man will survive all doubt. A bitter man will try, his way on your way!

Maxima12

Went to TCO last week and bought myself an Orvis' clearwater nymphing setup as a late Hanukkah present to myself. 10' 3wt with a clearwater reel, backing and orvis nymphing line. Built myself a tapered mono leader and broke it all in, successfully, the other day. Happy holidays fellas.

I took a chance and bought myself battery heated socks to use for my cold weather wading. It will be interesting to see how well they work. I’m skeptical......... but thought if they do work it will be great.
If not, maybe I’ll re-gift them to someone! ????

Back