Fly Fishing Blue Marsh Lake

TUrainbow88

TUrainbow88

Hello all,

I only started fly fishing earlier this year! So I want to know has anyone fly fished Blue Marsh for Bass, Carp, crappie, etc???? If so, what flys do you suggest? Thanks guys!

Rainbow,
Welcome to the PAFF forums.
I'm not a Blue Marsh regular but spend most of my summers fishing for bass and warm water species. If I were planning to hit BM, I'd have a stockpile of basic poppers, including some with weed guards to fish around cover; then a variety of nymphs in the range of 1-2 inches in length, and finally some Wooly Buggers and small (1-2") Clousers. Also, get yourself some large strike indicators, about the size of a nickel, like the Thingamabobber - I just use the big split cork types. These will function just like a bobber and enable you to cast your fly out toward cover and let hit hang without sinking down into weeds. This slow, "bobber fishing" is a good way to catch crappies in the spring.

The big problem with BM is the boat traffic. It kills the fishing. BUT there are some nice stripers that can be had along with the other species you mentioned. Try near the boat launches if you are on foot. The other big issue there is the fact that BM has shad ( alwiefe's?) and the fish follow them..If your in the right cove in the evening when they come up, you could have an epic trip. otherwise it might be good casting practice. FWIW I have only fished there a few times, but know some regulars there.

And if the bass aren't biting, you can always target panfish by fishing the shoreline with pretty much anything...I have good luck elsewhere with a #12 hopper. Panfish can be a lot of fun and they usually don't require such a delicate touch.

Thanks guys for the info!!! I can't wait for summer next year! My first time fishing for Bass on the fly!

Caught a 40+ musky in there last year. Can always target them as well.

Back