Fly fishing basics book

wgmiller

wgmiller

I'm a noob to fly fishing and looking to pick up a book that "covers all the bases" regarding fly fishing. An easy read that covers fly fishing for a beginner from A to Z would be the best fit as I'm not looking for ultra-technical information, just the basics. Such things as casting, different flies, techniques, etc., would be a great start. I'm mostly a trout fisherman, but will probably look at panfish or bass at some point as well.

Anyone have any good recommendations?

Check out your local library! Mine has several dozen good flyfishing books. I'd recommend anything by Tom Rosenbauer or in the Orvis Flyfishing series. I would recommend checking the basic "getting started guide" out of the library, since 90% of what it has to tell you will be old hat at the end of the year.

Some books to buy would be;
Reading Trout Streams by Tome Rosenbauer
The Orvis Guide to Prospecting for Trout by Tom Rosebauer
Diagnosing the Cast by Ed Jaworski
An Angler's Guide to Aquatic Insects and Their Imitations

These are books that you can read or refer to over and over. The Angler's guide is especially neat for a newbie because it tries to streamline a flybox by picking flies that imitate more than one hatch. It also tells you how to present the fly based on when a hatch is expected. A pheasant tail, for instance, can imitate a huge number of different mayfly nymphs. However, those nymphs will be active in different areas of the stream at different times of the year. So running through the shallow edges of a pool could be very productive on week, but the next you should be tossing it into the pocket water. On the downside, it's very technical, and I would skip all the insect identification stuff until you are more comfortable with flyfishing in general.

Enjoy your journeys through whatever books you settle on.

I agree with Padraic completely regarding making use of the library for introductory books. Similar information is also available online. Videos can be even better for casting and those are available at many libraries as well, perhaps even through interlibrary loan if your local branch is lacking.

Let me emphasize in your introductory reading and practice, that you learn about leaders and tippet and tying the blood knot since you will be working with those every single trip and multiple times during each trip.

Avoid plastic or metal line-to-leader connectors that alledge you don't have to tie a nail or needle knot (for attaching the leader to the line). There are some inexpensive tools that make tying the nail knot fast and easy, so get one of those if you have difficulty.

Do not attempt to cast a weighted fly or a leader with split shot the same way you do a dry fly.

There are very few technique books that repay perusing over the years. The one that stands out is Joe Humphreys's Trout Tactics, updated and expanded edition. While it doe not go into tackle in very much detail, it does cover dry flies, wet flies, nymphing and streamers in detail. Most important, If you go after trout or char, the chapter on water temperatures is a must.

A mentor who has some equipment he or she can lend you and who can show you the ropes is really the ultimate advantage for the beginner. Such a person can often be found at a TU or FFF chapter.

Thanks for the feedback; it all seems very practical and useful. There definitely is a lot to learn about fly fishing. I can see why it's not as popular as spin fishing due to the amount of technical knowledge and experience required to achieve success.

The wife wanted to go to the outlets in Lancaster last night so obliged. I popped into the Borders outlets as the outlet stores usually have some books of interest. I stumbled across this book which I promptly picked up "Hatches II" for a whopping $6.99: http://www.amazon.com/Hatches-II-Complete-American-Streams/dp/1592283225

I tore into and it appears to be an excellent education in the Mayfly!

Fly Fishing for Dummies is basic, but a very good starting point.

I will PM you about my book called "spring Creek Strategies" It may be something you find useful.

Mike Heck
Author of "Spring Creek Strategies"

I googled the book "Spring Creek Strategies" and here's what I came up with:

http://www.tcoflyfishing.com/MikeHeckBookSigning.cfm

Looks interesting firandfeather.

the curtiss creek manifesto is the best book i can think of to meet the original posters criteria

Thanks,

The book has been a great hit from what the fly shops are telling me. I had a literature professor/fly fisherman tell me it is one of the best books he has read in many years.

Here is a link to the publisher. http://www.headwaterbooks.com/books.php#Spring_Creek_Strategies

Mike

Lefty Kreh's Ultimate Guide to Fly Fishing covers just about everything you need to know from equipment to techniques, and it is very easy to understand. I gave this to my nephew when he got started.

http://www.amazon.com/Lefty-Krehs-Ultimate-Guide-Fishing/dp/1592281117

Humphrey's "Trout Tactics" would be my first recommendation. Video's are excellent too, but a little fast paced so you have to rewatch them.

Back