Fly Boxes...and not the usual questions......

Steeltrap

Steeltrap

I'm looking to buy a few fly boxes for the season. Now, lemme preface this by "disclosing" that I'm disabled and I use my self-made "fishing device" (as I call it....made with re-purposed crutches.) So, let say I'm not the most nimble guy on the water.

I have and like the "super slim" boxes that Orvis (and other knock-offs) sell and I use\like them. I prefer fly boxes that use a metal pin hinge vs just the plastic "hinge" as the pin versions are sturdier and (perhaps) will have a longer life.

So..two questions. First, what slim model\version fly boxes do you like and\or use? Do they have a metal pin hinge or plastic?

Second, (and likely you may not have an answer to this one) at times I find myself wanting to swap a fly while in the stream (Ok..who doesn't do this?)....but because of my...let's call it "fumble fingers" I take great care to not let the fly box drop. I'll never recover the box if it floats down the stream. (I can't get to there from here...trust me.) So, has anyone see a method that would allow the fly box to be lanyard-ed to a vest?

Thanks much!!

I like the Tacky Day Pack box, it is slim, has a metal pin and magnetic closure, with a clear lid so I can see stuff - I thought that was important when I first bought it as a beginner. Holds more flies than I need on any given day. It does not have a loop to attach a lanyard, but the Tacky Day Pack 2X box seems to have 2 molded-in lanyard loops. It is slightly shorter, but the same width & thickness as the original Day Pack box. Since it has solid lids with silicone slits on both sides, it will hold even more flies, in a smaller package.

I like the mag closures, silicone slits, and thin profile on my original Tacky Day Pack. It has functioned perfectly in the 2 years I've had it. But the Day Pack 2X holds more & has the lanyard loops. They also make a Double Haul box that is the same length & width as the Original, slightly thicker, with 2 lanyard loops.

EDIT: It looks like the newer versions of the original Day Pack box also have lanyard loops.

Hope that helps.

Second, (and likely you may not have an answer to this one) at times I find myself wanting to swap a fly while in the stream (Ok..who doesn't do this?)....but because of my...let's call it "fumble fingers" I take great care to not let the fly box drop. I'll never recover the box if it floats down the stream. (I can't get to there from here...trust me.) So, has anyone see a method that would allow the fly box to be lanyard-ed to a vest?

Thanks much!!
I adhere a strip of velcro on all my fly boxes, pin in a short lanyard to the bottom your fly compartment of your pack or attach it to the bottom of your vest pocket. You can use anything, even a shoe string and attach the lanyard with a velcro end I affixed and attached the lanyard to each box. My fly boxes are secured if I happen to drop them or leave my pack opened. Haven't lost one since. And by using velcro, you are still able to easily remove any box from your pack or vest.

I adhere a strip of velcro on all my fly boxes, pin in a short lanyard to the bottom your fly compartment of your pack or attach it to the bottom of your vest pocket. You can use anything, even a shoe string and attach the lanyard with a velcro end I affixed and attached the lanyard to each box. My fly boxes are secured if I happen to drop them or leave my pack opened. Haven't lost one since. And by using velcro, you are still able to easily remove any box from your pack or vest.

What are your fly boxes made of?

I ask because there are some plastic boxes out there that the "regular" adhesive Velcro doesn't stick to very well or for very long. I have a few that I had to use the extra strength adhesive Velcro or a separate adhesive with sew-on Velcro so it wouldn't peel off the plastic when I pulled it apart.

I'm looking to buy a few fly boxes for the season. Now, lemme preface this by "disclosing" that I'm disabled and I use my self-made "fishing device" (as I call it....made with re-purposed crutches.) So, let say I'm not the most nimble guy on the water.

I have and like the "super slim" boxes that Orvis (and other knock-offs) sell and I use\like them. I prefer fly boxes that use a metal pin hinge vs just the plastic "hinge" as the pin versions are sturdier and (perhaps) will have a longer life.

So..two questions. First, what slim model\version fly boxes do you like and\or use? Do they have a metal pin hinge or plastic?

Thanks much!!

For just a plain old slim compartment box I like Myran boxes which have a metal pin and come in many sizes & thicknesses although they don't have any foam or other inserts inside.

When I want to tether them, I take one link from a piece of brass sash chain that you can find in any hardware store and attach that one link to the box with a small nut & bolt. That gives me a nice small loop that lays flat to attach to a zinger or whatever I wish.

In regards to slim...

They are BY FAR not the cheapest box out there but if you are interested in metal boxes with foam options, take a look at the Richard Wheatley Slimline Boxes. They are offered in several configurations, different colors, you can buy replacement foam inserts and Velcro sticks great to the aluminum. ;)

I bought some direct from Wheatley when they first came out a few years back and they are REALLY nice boxes which should last a lifetime.

Good luck!

Steeltrap, I’ll offer up perhaps another solution. I have a Downs chest pack that may fit your needs. It is 4 sections. 3 of those are individual compartments and the 4th one is completely open, lined with foam. The foam in the 4th section is badly deteriorating and would need replacement which should be fairly easy.

This would solve your worry about dropping your fly boxes in the water.

If you’re interested, you may have it for no cost. I’ll be glad to ship it to you. I’m guessing I bought it in the late ‘70’s but it is in very good condition. I haven‘t used it for a very long time. It needs to find an owner who will use it. 😎

Shoot me a PM if you’re interested.

Attachments

• 890EF335-0655-45A5-B167-0591E83004FE.jpeg
    890EF335-0655-45A5-B167-0591E83004FE.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 26
  • B2AE1908-4D2E-4154-B551-F370C10B1892.jpeg
    B2AE1908-4D2E-4154-B551-F370C10B1892.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 83B00C85-4224-4392-A53B-BFBE4CF300AD.jpeg
    83B00C85-4224-4392-A53B-BFBE4CF300AD.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 3C42C77C-7E7B-4236-B2CD-8EFC14FD9879.jpeg
    3C42C77C-7E7B-4236-B2CD-8EFC14FD9879.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 7D652C3B-AB27-46E7-A9F8-44AF66E987AB.jpeg
    7D652C3B-AB27-46E7-A9F8-44AF66E987AB.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 26
  • 6461B6DE-E0E4-47DA-9E88-A4F993FB5402.jpeg
    6461B6DE-E0E4-47DA-9E88-A4F993FB5402.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 29
  • CD8450CB-F043-4D00-B4D9-D5169BE1D0E9.jpeg
    CD8450CB-F043-4D00-B4D9-D5169BE1D0E9.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 28
If Steeltrap is unfamiliar, (and I'm not wrong) it can be used as a 2 or 3 tray box if he thinks 4 trays are too many.

And...

They don't make them any more so the offer is even more generous!! (y)

There are many selections of lanyard clasps on Amazon - some of which are sold in-quantity to wallet and handbag makers. They could probably be melted onto a thick plastic case or attached to wood with threaded fasteners.

Thanks much!!
They make the slimline boxes that your talking about with metal hinges rather than the molded plastic hinge that fails over time. I believe Fulling Mills has a pretty good one. I’ve seen these tethered a very simple way, a small hole, diameter only big enough to slip mono into drilled in the corner and a pc of 25lb mono put thru the hole then burned like your making mono eyes. Put a drop os superglue on it and let it dry. A loop on the other end pinned to your jacket or attached to carabiner Will ensure it won’t get away from you again….

Steeltrap, I’ll offer up perhaps another solution. I have a Downs chest pack that may fit your needs. It is 4 sections. 3 of those are individual compartments and the 4th one is completely open, lined with foam. The foam in the 4th section is badly deteriorating and would need replacement which should be fairly easy.

This would solve your worry about dropping your fly boxes in the water.

If you’re interested, you may have it for no cost. I’ll be glad to ship it to you. I’m guessing I bought it in the late ‘70’s but it is in very good condition. I haven‘t used it for a very long time. It needs to find an owner who will use it. 😎

Shoot me a PM if you’re interested.
All I can say to the offer is "WOW". That's really generous!

But, (always a "but") the issue I see with this kind of pack is it has mostly the "open compartment" type of fly holder. I have two larger plastic boxes (from the 1970's) that still work. One has a small crack in it but closes like the day I bought it. (I can't recall the brand name....if I did you would recognize it.)

The "but" part comes in because the fly's are "loose" in the compartments and not sort-of "stuck" in a foam box. And the reason this is a problem (for me) is, because of my disease (MS) I will eventually "stumble" or become unsteady....and there goes the flys floating downstream. I still have the fly box....but the fly's that use to reside there are gone.

Now, I know that sounds a bit "nutz" but in general, I fall at least once per fishing outing. It's only a matter of time when I would have the chest box open....and I'd stumble. It's just a fact of life and I deal with it. My vest is a US Coastguard approved life jacket.....so I'm not "that nutz". Plus I'm very aware of my placement on the stream, and I am never in water deeper than knee. This does limit where I can fish....but hey...I'm fishing!

The pic below of what I call my "fishing device" that allows me to adjust each leg of it to the stream terrain, while allowing me to "sit" at bar-stool height so I can fly fish. It also gives me pretty decent stability.

So, I know this post is rather long, but I thought it was important to provide the reasons why I cannot accept your most generous offer. I'm sure there will be someone that comes along who needs such a fly and will use it for years to come.

But, thank you for your offer!

CP14ja3h.jpg

Now, to address the rest of the comments and suggestions, you guys have provided me with more options than I was aware of.

So, I thank all of you for your input and I will consider and study each suggestion and see how well that "fits" into my "style" of fishing. (My style BTW is "stumble fishing") :)

That's an ingenious set-up. You're right, you'll be fishing!
Thanks! I used it all of last year and it worked great. Since each "leg" is adjustable I can set it to what the terrain is "offering".

I drilled out the treated plywood to allow the repurposed crutches to be at a slight "outward" angle to help with stability. The pic doesn't really show that, but it sure helps.

With "all-thread", you can bolt just about anything together!!

It’s good to hear you have a set up to keep you fishing. Looks like a lot of thought went into it. After looking at your “fishing device”I’m sure you will engineer a fly box setup that works for you. Tight lines!

Just to update this thread, what I decided to do was drill a small hole at the corner of my existing fly boxes, run a piece of cord through the hole, tie a big enough knot on the inside (see 2nd pic) and then for the outside tie just a loop. Then I can attach the loop to a retractable gizmo. Should I happen to fall when the box is out, (open or closed) I may lose a few flys, but I won't lose the entire fly box.

So...yeah...I'll be the guy with a thousand retractable gizmo's out there!!

XsdxvyUl.jpg

aEy7YwEl.jpg

Just to update this thread, what I decided to do was drill a small hole at the corner of my existing fly boxes, run a piece of cord through the hole, tie a big enough knot on the inside (see 2nd pic) and then for the outside tie just a loop. Then I can attach the loop to a retractable gizmo. Should I happen to fall when the box is out, (open or closed) I may lose a few flys, but I won't lose the entire fly box.

So...yeah...I'll be the guy with a thousand retractable gizmo's out there!!

XsdxvyUl.jpg

aEy7YwEl.jpg
I've used the same but used the loop to thread through a Butten hole or even a loop, with enough line the box can be tucked into a pocket on a pack or vest.

I have used Velcro to attach fly box to my pockets or even my polypro shirt under my waders.

Steeltrap:

Your dedication is inspiring! I am impressed by your attitude and your "Wading Staff" While not facing the issues you do because of MS I am facing some balance issues because of Parkinson's.

Regarding the offered fly box - did you consider adding magnets to it? Could accomplish this by gluing them in, would think..

Steeltrap:

Your dedication is inspiring! I am impressed by your attitude and your "Wading Staff" While not facing the issues you do because of MS I am facing some balance issues because of Parkinson's.

Regarding the offered fly box - did you consider adding magnets to it? Could accomplish this by gluing them in, would think..
I've never thought of magnets....like the ones that keep my tying hooks in the plastic organizer. As I was looking thru my old fly stiff I came across two Cortland Unbreakable Fly boxes that I bought way back in the '70s. (I think). One has a small crack, while the other one is in great shape. So, now that I have a "method" of attaching them, along with magnets for holding them in, I may be good-to-go with that setup.

I know Parkinsons is a tough deal, but stay positive & keep at it!

Steeltrap

I have some new slim metal pin hinge fly boxes that I can send to you. I would love to help you out. Send me a message.

@Steeltrap, I too have some metal hinge pin fly boxes that I will give to you at no cost to you. They are Orvis and have silicone interiors. I find the silicone preferable to foam. Let me know if you are interested.

Steeltrap

I have some new slim metal pin hinge fly boxes that I can send to you. I would love to help you out. Send me a message.
TS, I thank you very much for the offer. But I've reorganized the boxes that I currently have, (and modified them) and with the addition of one "found" Orvis unbreakable box storage, I believe I'm good to go for the stream this year.

Back