Fly Box That Doesn't Crush Dry Flies

blueheron,

I wasn't offended. Just felt jhguster was lookin for a recommendation on standard everyday styled fly boxes which fit into his existing system. To me chest box is a completely different thing altogether. Not a competing product but rather a competing system.

The boxes I use do not connect. I wear a vest and a box fits nicely in my second level pockets, but the pockets wouldn't accomodate two anyway. If you want ones that connect, you may have to look harder and perhaps spend as much as $1.49 apiece. :cool:

Dear jhguster,

I like the Dewitt boxes that were mentioned in the first post in this thread, they come in just about any size and number of compartments that you can imagine.

If you want something small and hatch specific a couple of 35mm film* containers can handle several dozen flies each. Label a piece of masking tape and slap it on the side and you know what's in everything.

If you go with something like Jack M mentioned and you want to make two boxes into one double sided box you can either glue them together or get a piece of double sided foam tape and press them together.

Okuma makes a nice aluminum box for about $ 15.00 or $ 20.00 that is a Wheatley knock off. It has storage for wets and nymphs on one side and spring lockable compartments for dry flies on the other side. A large Okuma box is about 4 inches by 7 inches by 1 inch thick.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

* for those of you unfamiliar with the term 35mm film, it is silver halide emulsion strip that was used many years ago to record negative light patterns for later printing onto photographic paper to make prints or in positive form, slides. ;-)

i also like the morell boxes, i usually carry 3or more fly boxes , the morells are very light

The plastic containers smokeless tobacco comes in , wash em out add some foam to the bottom (they float then) they are just the right size for most of our dry flies and never had a problem with crushed hackle , if you soak em awhile in hot soapy water the label comes right off , then you can add your own sticker or label if you want. The price is right and you won't have crushed flies. I don't chew so i have a few folks that save them for me , they get a few flies in return.

I use the orvis clear plastic boxes with the adjustable dividers for all my dry flies. They don't get crushed, the O-ring makes the box waterproof (something a lot of similar clear, divider style boxes are not), and they're not expensive.

Back