Fly Box for big flies

P

PSH

Can anyone recommend a good fly box for large bass flies - streamers, deer hair poppers, etc? Thanks.

Cliff's bugger barn or other "Cliff's" boxes available in a bunch of places(www.feather-craft.com). Bass Pro Shops White River largemouth box which is also sold in some fly shops under a different name, usually cheaper.

Check with dealers who specialize in salt water ffing. They will typically have an array of big boxes.

I use a cheaper No-Rust Plano box. It works well. It probably measures 8" x 10" x 2". I have a small waist pack that it fits in perfectly. I even added foam to some of the sections to hold the flies even better. The Cliff's boxes are really nice, but if you visit a Hardware or Craft Store you can probably find a similar box and add your own foam, or whatever you prefer to use. There was a thread on here about making your own fly boxes using Hardware Store items, but I can't find it.

SOmeone posted instructions once on makiing your own CLiff's box.

I have some cheap plastic ripple foam job that came with a Dr. Slick scissors set I used for my one box o' saltwater. I'd think any Sprawlmart issue big ripple foam would work quite well.

Dear PSH,

I've been using the smaller Plano lure boxes for about 20 years with no complaints.

Get them with the individual compartments or the adjustable compartments depending on the size of the flies.

If you are worried about rust drill some holes in the lid, bottom, and sides and you'll be all set.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

For my lake flies I use VCR cover boxes, I use ripple foam works great and cheap.

JAD

JAD wrote:
For my lake flies I use VCR cover boxes, I use ripple foam works great and cheap.

JAD

How many flies can you stuff into a digital download?

cabelas sell these 1" plano boxes for $4. they work well for big bugs and poppers.

Attachments

• IMG_2405.jpg
    IMG_2405.jpg
    878.8 KB · Views: 3
I have a couple open boxes. These used to cause one fly to become hooked on another.

However, now I use small blocks of fly tying foam and impale the hooks and now they can't entangle each other.

If I fished more frequently for bass, musky, or salt water I'd buy a plano box.

Back