Fly Angler Enthusiasm

My fly fishing enthusiasm is so great, I'm thinking of pizza.

Swattie87 wrote:
As a general rule for PA, cuts are best in the west and get worse the further east you go.

Pizza Joe's and Fox's really drag down the overall quality of pizza in western PA.

I wish we had OIP's this far west.

Slice of Italy: https://www.facebook.com/SliceofItaly12/

Try the grandma pizza. My favorite anywhere. I know, it's in Allentown, not Philly, but it's squarely on the Philly side of the PA continuum.

Worse Pizza: Old Forge style (Scranton area). You may have seen the "Home of the world's best pizza" billboards. I call serious BS! If you never had the displeasure, imagine a bland Sicilian-type crust, sauce that's heavy on onion chunks, and american cheese on top. Blech! Most people I know who grew up in the Scranton area love the stuff, though.

Oh, I almost forgot....FLY FISHING ROCKS! Woo-hoo!! :D

Best pizza locally for me would be Covered Bridge pizza in Andover, OH. If you are in the area, try it. Building was actually a covered bridge at one time, or at least half of one.

They have three locations in NE Ohio, but I can only speak for that one.

There are a few others good pizza places within 20 miles (local for me), but I'd rate that one the best of the bunch.

Best sub shop in the area is Chicago Subs in Orwell.

Fly-Swatter wrote:

Worse Pizza: Old Forge style (Scranton area). You may have seen the "Home of the world's best pizza" billboards. I call serious BS! If you never had the displeasure, imagine a bland Sicilian-type crust, sauce that's heavy on onion chunks, and american cheese on top. Blech! Most people I know who grew up in the Scranton area love the stuff, though.

This reminds me of Grotto's Pizza in DE. Everyone seems to love it, I don't like it.

Since this is so far down the rabbit hole and it's along ^ these lines.

I lived in da burgh for 23 years and had a Vinnie Pie maybe 3 times. Most disgusting pizza I've ever eaten. No idea why it's such a local favorite. In some circles maybe.

I used to eat at Fat Tommy's off of market square about 3 times a week. Is he still there?

Fly-Swatter wrote:
Slice of Italy: https://www.facebook.com/SliceofItaly12/

Try the grandma pizza. My favorite anywhere. I know, it's in Allentown, not Philly, but it's squarely on the Philly side of the PA continuum.

^ Wow!!...surprising. I grew up in the area. No better pizza on Earth > Ghigiarelli’s, Revello's, Arcaro & Gennell's. I bring some back home for others to taste or recommend people to try when they are up there and everyone that ever tasted it loves it.

No accounting for taste, though for both pizza or fishing. I know some prefer Pizza Hut and Dominos and I also know some guys that swear bait fishing for stocked trout blows away fishing for native brookies or wild brownies with a fly rod. To each to his own.... :oops:

What pizza place did you try?!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/experience/food-and-wine/2017/02/08/old-forge-pennsylvania-pizza/97592600/

They lost me when they said American Cheese on a pizza.

Respect the pie!

FarmerDave wrote:
They lost me when they said American Cheese on a pizza.

Respect the pie!

Talk about fake news!! A good friend friend of mine was from Old Forge and worked for several of the restaurants. They later opened up their own restaurant. They used imported cheeses form Italy as well as imported Italian tomato as well as other imported ingredients. That is one of the main reasons why so many people rave about the pizza and why so many other restaurants can't duplicate the taste.

Many of the Old Forge Restaurants make pizza as well as all types of Italian food, homemade style with fresh ingredients. I would recommend many of those restaurants to anyone looking for great Italian food as well as pizza.

acristickid wrote:
Cuts

The gold standard for pizza in Pittsburgh area-

Aiello's Pizza
Mineo’s
Fiori's Pizzaria

Cuts available and they are great. The go to is just cheese.

Try Giorgio's on Western Ave in the Northside. Cash only and they are mean as hell but their deep dish is awesome.

Back