Fly advice for tomorrow morning.

Marv_Levy

Marv_Levy

As many of you are aware it's winter temperature outside this week. How will this effect the fishing? What kid of flies should I use?

I plan on fishing the bushkill in Northampton County my local stream. I've never fished in mid-late April with temps this cold.

Any advice would be very helpful.

I was thinking going with a wet fly and a zebra midge dropper.

Marv_Levy wrote:
I was thinking going with a wet fly and a zebra midge dropper.

That would be a good choice.
Water levels are likely up and temps colder. This typically means using more weight and fishing lower and slower. If the water turns out to be stained, you might also try a big stonefly nymph or a Wooly Bugger fished dead drift. With that said, do bring your dry flies as it would not be unusual to see some hatches and surface activity - after all, it's late April now and we're getting into prime fly fishing season.
Good luck with your trip.

Size 18 PT nymph. Cream and gray caddis larva size 16 gold bead.
Have fished there often.

GenCon

Thanks for the advice guys. Got out for almost 2 hours of fishing in before my 80yo grandfather got cold.

I started with a bugger / zebra midge combo. Landed 3 had 2 other hookups and my thingamabobber got pulled under 3 more times with no hookup. The 3 I landed were on the zebra midge " my 1st fly I actually tied myself."

All in all a great frigid morning.

How'd you do?

Back