Fluorocarbon Tippet Material for Sighter Leaders

D

Dale49

I use sighter leaders for most of my fishing. Since I mostly nymph, I use fluorocarbon tippet material. I've purchased fluorocarbon guide spools.

I was considering using fluorocarbon fishing line to replace fluorocarbon tippet material as it's not as expensive as the typical fluorocarbon tippet stuff.

Has anyone used fluorocarbon fishing line as a replacement? If so, what brand(s) have you used? My concern is that the fluorocarbon fishing line may not be a supple as tippet material.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Dale

P-line floro coated lines are fairly soft.

I've used Seagar(spelling?) and haven't had any issues, both on fly gear using it as tippet and on spinning gear. Try to stay away from Berkely Vanish. It has poor not strength, and I know other people have had issues with it also.

As ebroesicke said P-line is alright, but it is flurocarbon coated mono, not regular fluoro.

I use 4-6# suffix. I love this stuff. Never had an issue. I buy the 12.00 330 yard spool and repool old tippet holders. The sea gar is by far the best but suffix was the best substitute that i have found that doesnt hurt my wallet. I use more of the 6# and catch a ton of trout. I think if you were fishing low clear conditions the price of your flouro will make the most difference.

I use the various # Vanish pony spools ($5). It is laughable the cost difference and I've caught thousands of trout and steelhead on such. Tippet material is one of the biggest myths in FF as far as I'm concerned - unless you are fishing dries or in extreme conditions that warrant it...

Back