Flourocarbon tippet

Chaz

Chaz

Is anyone still using Flourocarbon tippet? I ask because the price is up to $15.00 and I view that as prohibitive. Anyway I'm wondering what brand you're using if your using the stuff.

I use Frog Hair Flourocarbon tippet. It's all I use. I agree it is darn expensive. I love it though and haven't given consideration to going back. Perhaps I should...

I was getting a good deal on the Orvis Mirage Fluro for a while, but I think they have a new Flouro now at Orvis. I think the Mirage stuff is all on close-out now. You should be able to get a spool for around $10, and they give you 40 meters in a spool!

I use fluoro and mono by Orvis. As Albatross said you get 40 meters while most brands are the same price and you get 30 yards. I lke fluoro for nymphing, droppers, bass/muskies and saltwater. Also use it as a leader tied to braided line when casting/spinning for bass, but now with the evolution of translucent braids this may not be necessary.

I hardly ever use it. It's good for steelhead and skinny water salmon, and toothy critters such as spanish mackerel. If the visibility of my tippet costs me fish, well then I'll just have to get better at my presentation.

I can get rio fuoroflex at 50yd spools for 12.95 each..

I use Rio and Orvis. After spending all that money on gas to get up to central Pa a few bucks more for tippet is like chasing a bottle of Captain Morgan with a Bud Light.

I bought some 8X and I’m now convinced it doesn’t exist. I can’t see it, I can’t feel it. Frankly I think we’ve all been taken. The dealers are selling us empty spools with new labels and we’re all too proud to admit there is nothing on the spool. Kinda’ reminds me of Harvey, that giant Pooka, invisible rabbit. Yes…. I’m old!

Rolf

Rolf wrote:
bought some 8X and I’m now convinced it doesn’t exist. I can’t see it, I can’t feel it. Frankly I think we’ve all been taken.

The emporer has no clothes! :)

try 12x then get new glasses...lol

I like floro for it's density, and use it quite often to break the surface tension with soft hackles. I hate it for it dry flys over glass water as it lacks the suppleness of equivalent dia. mono{I do alot of downs stream casting and need all the s-curves I can get}, plus, it sinks my flies that I've designed to depress the surface tension of the water{still born caddis namely}. When I do use it I just pick up a spool of Berkley vanish. My mono tippet is Orvis super strong.

Berkley Vanish. $5 for like a 100 yard spool. So what if it doesn't have the word Tippet on the thing it works all the same.

Rio Flouroflex.

I do make steelhead leaders out of the Berkley Vanish.

I have a question for you guys. Besides steelhead and saltwater fishing how do you guys feel the knot strength is for say 7x and 8x tippet the smaller diameter stuff? My local fly shop took some 7x Orvis Mirage ansd the rio fluro tied it a scale and pulled on it. All knots broke off at about 50% of what they are rated for. Also they took a mircometer and measured the diameter of the line and it actually got thinner in diameter after being pulled on a little bit. I tried the 8x and I personally kept getting kinked up when I tied my knots regardless of how much I lubricated the knot and how carefull I was. However, I use it for saltwater fishing and seem to think it is pretty good considering it most of the time holds up to bluefish.

Is it me or are the smaller diameter tippets harder to work with?

seaguar fluorocarbon -- has worked for many years of Salmon / Steelhead fishing always carry a spool of 8, 10, 12 for salmon
and 4,6,8 for steelhead

I have been using the P-Line Fluorocarbon and P-Line floroclear
(Fluorocarbon coated fishing line) and have not had a problem with either of them, actually like P-Line the best--I just purchased P-Line HALO fluorocarbon in 4lb diameter--seems to work well when using nymphs ( all of these are pretty good on a spinning reel too)

I buy the 300 yd spools, it is about the same price as the 50 m or 30 m stuff........not truly TIPPET material, but for nymphs, salmon, steelhead it works and I have not had a problem catching fish with it

for trouties I like Frog Hair I use the 6x and 7x flurocarbon and regular tippet material...............for strictly troutie fishing I buy the 30 m spools ( i usally have 8x through 4x dangling off my vest or chest pack)

it is not in my head that if I don't have flurocarbon I won't catch a fish.....standard tippet works fine.....I like the flurocarbon for tiny midge fishing and really spooky fish

ps...i almost forgot........I have had really bad winter knot results with the berkely vanish........that was many years ago, but I stay away from that stuff

I tried floro and haven't found that much of a difference in the number of fish I catch. For the price, I fish with mono and save the difference for refreshments.

Cheers!

Bill

Back