Florida in the late spring.

gfen

gfen

Gulfgreyhound and Pete, this is probably best suited for you two, but whatever, I'll take realistic input from anyone.

I'm being taken to FL at the end of April, to stay in Naples. Being that I know nothing about Florida except we send our retirees there, so I'm at a loss for what sort of fishing is there.

In other words, what sort of fishing is there? I know there's a beach a couple blocks away, but is it a valid idea to try and walk it and cast to things in the surf? Are there like flats one can walk and fish to things there? If yes to either, what's realstic expectations?

IE, I goto the Jersey shore in August, yeah, I could catch decent sized bluefish, but it ain't gonna happen. However, I'm likely to catch say small snapper blues or even fluke.

I've always been interested in trying for one of the "big" tropical species, the tarpons, reds, or bones but I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna bring to the table the sort of skills required to have realistic shots. I've always always had a desire to try for peacock bass, is that sort of in that area?

I figure I can force the old man to pay for a reasonably priced guided trip, so I'm gonna try and feel out my options now.

Suggestions on where to start gladly accepted.

My experiences:

In April it is going to be hot (80’s), wear longsleeves , glasses , sunblock and hat. Might be nice to wet wade about that time. I have fished for hours during the day when the tides were kinda stagnated and it was little more than exercise and fresh air- not that there is anything wrong with that.

If time is a consideration- I would beg my time out early morning or later evening. It is a better bet at active fish and more comfortable for you. Winds can also be a factor- might look to be sheltered by a mangrove or bridge or fish with the wind on one side of a pass or the other. ie wind out of the north, fish the north side of the pass

Moving water seems to help. Fishing around jetties/passes, around bridges, islands etc. seems to funnel the water through spots that are a little deeper or have cover- which the fish seem to like.

Snook are fun to fish for- find a bridge or dock that has a light- it will attract bait fish and they like to ambush the bait. They fight well. Snook do run along the beach too but not sure what exact time of year.

Other species include ladyfish, spec. trout, redfish, grouper, and tarpon (prime time April till July) is a possibilty. But again you just never know what you might hook into- perhaps a mack or a barracuda could just as likely happen.

Redfish can be challenging if you want to cast at them while their tailing in shallows. They can spotted during lower tides and in and around potholes when the tides out. Still need to check one off the list.

A boat helps but you can successfully wade fish- that’s all I have done.

Flies are not very complicated- clousers, shrimp and crap patterns.

Have used 9 ft leaders in 10-20 flouro. 8 or 9 wt should be good.

Floating line works fine- if you got a sinking or intermediate I would take them.

If nothing else- you can fish for bass which is easy fishing compared to PA. Any ponds or lakes and canals have them. Clousers and poppers. I beleive peacocks are located in the Miami area canals- FI would know about that.

If you can do a trip- I would. Unless conditions are very poor you should expect to do pretty well with a guide.

Flyshops and florida sportmans websites might help. Good luck.

I won't have access to a boat, but I'll have access to a car. Figure my mornings and evenings should be free, so that'll help I guess.

I think I need to real thought into if I want to try and book a guided trip, and what species are available and to target. I'd love to try for tarpon, but that seems rather pie in the sky at this juncture.

I'll have to get the address specifically and use google sattelite to see if there's any fishable bridges around, but that sounds like its generally the same as I've begun to pick up with my NJ fishing, bridge lights at night.

Get a good spinning out fit [7ft. 3/16 to 1/2] stop at walmart and get some mirrolure catch 2000 jr. lures and catch some fish-

8 or 10 line with 3 feet of 20 or 25.tippet.
With out a guide its going to be run and gun-
Lot of fish,even more water so locating them at any time is going to be tough for a newby.
Sun tan lotion and sunscreen[spray] needed.
Late spring is THE time to be here.
Yep-paul is right on about time and tide-very impressed-lol
Imagine that you are looking for lunker browns plus tide -ideal is high tide at dawn or dusk-
as far as where to find them-as kid said AMBUSH points-oyster bars on a point-etc.
Sorry if I offend with the spinning but the idea is to catch fish.
I f you get the lure I mentioned and some gold weedless spoons you will be set.
Walmart will have them and be reasonable.

If you decide to spin-pm me-I'm good if I do say so myself=
lol

No offence at all, its actually a pretty good idea to pack along a spinning rod. For a marginal increase in junk, I can be a whole lot more productive.

true-plus you will find mangroves very unforgiving on back casts-at high tide you can wade along them and cat ch a lot of interesting fish right against the bank.
Forget the trout and flounder unless you are looking for a meal-
lot of fun fish to catch-ladyfish,jacks,snook,reds,blues.
Watch out for snook-razor sharp gill plates.

For me I like to use Google earth to get an idea of the shore line and any kind of structure.. I flyfish alot around St petes beach, and around the Sky Way bridge . One fish that Ive been catching often are small Gag groupers, around 18" or so. And one thing is for sure, They don't like to be pulled for their holes. Ive had most success with pnk/wht chrt/wht olv/wht and all wht with alot of flash Clousers. Shrimp and crab flies for Drum, or any thing that swims. With crab flies I like to let them sit in the sand and give them sharp little twitches so that they puff up a little sand. it seems that the little puffs are what send fish like Black Drum, or Permit racing to your fly.. The same works for carp as well. Ive all ways spent most of my time barefoot walking the beaches looking for bait balls, this can be fast paced fishing at its best, leaving you winded. Its seems like the preditor fish working these bait balls like to see ur streamer stripped as fast as u can, wich means tucking the rod under ur arm and doulbe handding it... And of course look for the birds, and u find the the bait.

Hope you have fun.....

Dan

You could venture out to Sanibel Island. I fished there twice. Once on the Gulf side from the beach and caught a bunch of small stuff and then again on the back bay side (Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge).

In the bay, I rented a kayak and cruised around the mangroves. Lots of Reds and Snook around. I ended up spooking most of the redfish I saw, but I did hook into three snook, which I was unable to land becuase my tippet was too light. Rookie mistake. Go heavy on the tippet. I think I had like 8lb test line and it snapped rather quickly. Those fish can fight! I would suggest at least 15 or maybe even 20 lb line.

I used the fly that a guy on that island designed called the Norm's Crystal Schminnow or something like that. It looks like a white bugger with estaz wrapped on the body and no weight. I tied a few with dumbell eyes as well. Both worked well. Fish tight to the mangroves or any structure for snook or around oyster bars and potholes for the Reds.

This year I am going to try kayaking around Cayo Costa SP in the Pine Island Sound. I will report back if I have any luck. I will be down there from March 22nd - 27th.

I also have tickets to a spring training game of the 2011 World Series Champs.

There are abundant kayak rentals where I've been several times in Sarasota. You're a good deal south of that. Fish early at sunup.
What I did was found a kayak flyfishing guide, Steve Gibson. I've gone out with him on 3 or 4 different trips. He might actually know someone to hook you up with around Naples. I'd really recommend kayak fishing. Fishing over the deep grass in bays has been the go-to technique. Even though beach snook fishing can be good in May, April MIGHT still be early (I don't know. Ask Steve) and you need to know where to go. It wasn't good last year: just too much bad ju-ju (tide, time, coming off a big winter kill)
All I ever fished was sz. 2 chart/white synthetic clousers in the clear water and 'electric chicken' in the tannic river channels. I could REALLY use some April time in south Florida.
Syl

I guess I should take it as a good sign the place down the street from him is called "Tarpon Cove," and right up the street is "FIsh Trap Bay," eh?

Not so sure 'bout the kayak as a non-swimmer.

There also appears to be a pond about every 20', including one off the back porch. They grow their 'gills big down there, eh?

As long as I can find ways to keep myself amused and seperated.

and 10 pd plus bass-few people fish them-remember someone mentioned, take spinning gear--he said in a whisper.
Don't worry ,stay out of the channels and the water will only be waste deep=rent hobie with foot paddles.

Back