Floppy Magnifiers

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

I have a new pretty new pair of magnifiers on my fishing hat. The hinge is not holding them well. When I take step down, jump, or drop my head quickly, the magnifiers come down into the reading position. Aggravating. Anyone know how to fix this? I was thinking of wrapping some tying thread into the hinges. Any insights are appreciated.

Are they Flip Focals?

If so, buy a pair of Hat Eyes. They are a 1000X better, made of stainless steel with replaceable lenses and a hinge secured by a screw & nut which can be tightened.

If they are Hat Eyes, just tighten the nut.

No, I think that they are cheap knock offs.

Maybe try a drop of hot wax on each side of the hinge pin to see if that works it's way in there enough to hold them for a while.

I've had that problem with Flip Focals.

This worked, at least for awhile:

Use a nail set tool if you have one. Or just use a nail and dull the point by hitting point with a hammer.

The magnifier rotates on a rivet. Put the head of the rivet against some solid steel surface. I think I just put a pair of linesmans pliers on the table.

Then put the point of the nail set tool or of the dulled nail against the other side of the rivet.

Hit the nail set tool or dulled nail with a hammer. Not too hard, not too softly.

The idea is to tighten it up a little. This probably occurs by upsetting the metal, i.e. making it a little thicker. Or by just bending the rivet a little. Either way, it worked for me.

Back