Floating the Driftwood Branch

Kype

Kype

Have any of you ever floated the Driftwood Branch of the Sinnemahoning? If so, where did you put in and take out? Also, what should the cfs gauges be looking like to make this happen?

Better have a shallow draft.

You'd have to hit it after a storm.

Yep, a big storm. Right now the gauge says 59 cfs. You would probably want at least 500 cfs to float it.

Depends a lot on the craft you want to float. A little yak could get through at 100-150 cfs. A drift boat might need 5-600.

Here's the gage...

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv?site_no=01543000

Thank you to those of you who have responded. I have a 13' raft with fishing frame. I guess that I was more concerned with the flows from Driftwood to the mouth of the West Branch, however, I see that this portion of the stream is not favorable at this time as well.

So you are talking about Sinnemahoning Creek, not the Driftwood Branch.

According to Keystone Canoeing by Edward Gertler, the gauge at Sinnemahoning should be over 3.3 feet to canoe Sinnemahoning Creek.

There is rain forecast for the area today. So watch the gauges. If there is a good shot of rain, plan to be there tomorrow morning at daybreak.

Because these streams are flashy this time of year. They go up fast after a good rain, but also drop quickly.

Back