Floating the clarion

Hunterwoz

Hunterwoz

Planning on floating the clarion river this Saturday probably 10 miles up river of the Allegheny river then getting out at the allegheny river. I plan of fly fishing the whole thing while we float for smallies. Any advice? Flies, other target species, etc. thanks

Hunterwoz wrote:
Planning on floating the clarion river this Saturday probably 10 miles up river of the Allegheny river then getting out at the allegheny river. I plan of fly fishing the whole thing while we float for smallies. Any advice? Flies, other target species, etc. thanks

I've never fished that part of the Clarion so take this FWIW...

Smallies ought to be the main game but the cold weather lately may have some big trout in the area (it's going to be hot this weekend so this may be hard to predict).

Smallies are likely in post spawn mode and I find they don't bite well on rivers in mid June. Anyway, I'd stick with medium sized streamers mainly and fish 'em in deeper runs and holes.

Good luck with your trip.

I went to college at Clarion and lived there for like 6 years. I have fished the river plenty. The Clarion is a decent smallie river. The bite here on the Juniata has been fantastic lately so I'd assume the same for the Clarion. When you approach the reservoir, from Mill Creek down or so, expect a big change. It is a deep body of water there with steep shorelines and it can be difficult to fish. There are plenty of bass, LM and SM, but also lots of walleye and tiger muskies. What's your plan to get around the Piney Dam?

Back