Floating the Beaverkill

from east branch down I never see anyone..

Sandfly,
That's probably due to limited access, not many public fishing rights and a-holes that scream if you touch "their streambed". It also happens to be my place to go if I want to be left alone.

J & free,

I remember a post on the catskill board once where guys were going off about ringing cell phones or people talking on cell phones while in the Beaverkill & Willow. They felt it was rude and taking away from their experience. In some ways, I can almost agree. People have become quite rude, inconsiderate and it's "all about me". That is exactly why I float. To get away from everyone if possible. :)

Do you still rock the catskill board every now and then?

Nope. That forum is way too tough. JB would ban you if you posted the word "poop". With that said, it's my favorite fly shop to visit up there. Dennis is a one of a kind (thank God) and he ties some of the best flies I've ever seen.

A few years back, I'm standing there talking to Walt about long casts with WF versus DT and which keeps more line in the air without collapse. 2 guys from NYC stroll in and yell out "Hey, where's a good place to catch trout around here?" Dennis looks up from his vice and says "In the f**king water." Needless to say, those guys walked out.

My very first trip in there just after they had started the business was awesome. I walked in to see Dennis tying flies. I nodded and said "Hi, how are you." He looked up and said "Great, how the f**k are you?" I was stunned but also knew right then....I love this guy! LOL

I really hate the angst that arises from someone "floating" a stream. Why not just let them pass, relax a while, and start fishing again? I think that the alleged "disturbance" is very short-lived. For the floaters, if possible, find a route downstream that disturbs as few wading anglers as possible. If advisable on common-sense grounds, and feasible, pull up to the shore and quietly go around wading anglers. Not every angler, but if a pod of anglers are working risers, I would think common courtesy might dictate interrupting your float, if needed.

In any case, no matter the size and popularity, if I desired to float a stream/river, I would simply put on my best chagrin, wave and apologize as I move through, then fugetabouotit.

Trust me, it's not easy to float and people always get bent. JMcWill caught avery nnice fish one day that JayL netted for him. We had just gone through with a group of 8 boats / kayaks. I've caught 2 of my 3 biggest fish up there from a pontoon boat. They were also hooked 6-8' from my boat. I think Josh caught 3 last year by running his nymph rig UNDER my pontoon. If you are quiet, the fish don't care. Waders don't get it. We go out of our way so that we don't bother them and they still bad mouth you and try to hook you in the hat. Maybe I'll just row over their fish this year.

I still feel it is best to smile, sheepishly, apologize and don't let it concern you-- you'll be beyond the bend in a minute or less.

krayfish, thanks - this lines cheers up my holiday season:
:-D

2 guys from NYC stroll in and yell out "Hey, where's a good place to catch trout around here?" Dennis looks up from his vice and says "In the f**king water."

Keep floating
[color=0000FF]~~~[/color]

You wouldn't float the Beaverkill anymore than you'd crap in a cathedral. Just isn't done. It's not about numbers of fish. It's catching fish with style.

krayfish wrote;
A few years back, I'm standing there talking to Walt about long casts with WF versus DT and which keeps more line in the air without collapse. 2 guys from NYC stroll in and yell out "Hey, where's a good place to catch trout around here?" Dennis looks up from his vice and says "In the f**king water." Needless to say, those guys walked out.

Thats why dennis and i get along as shop owners..

kray do you float the lower BK too. ? maybe some time when I am out we can do a float..

I wouldn't even know where to launch but ... sure, I'll float it. You never see any waders down there. I've just tossed the toon over the guardrail just above the EB Motel. We've caught fish before getting to the JAWS so I know they are in there.

Why all the confusion and debate over floating the Beaverkill, or whether it's even allowed or not? The fact that the Beaverkill is wider than the WB in some places doesn't just automatically mean it'd be a better river to float than the WB. From a navigability standpoint, they're two very different rivers and the West Branch is a far better choice for pontoons and driftboats. I think the reason you don't see boats on the Beaverkill has little to do with some unwritten rule regarding tradition. Rather it's simply that the Beaverkill (save for the lower end) just isn't conducive to float trips, for starters there would be way too much portaging.

As far as people getting there panties in a bunch over some drift boats or pontoons floating by I really don't get it. For the most part, take a deep breath, relax and be patient the fish will start rising again very soon after they float thru. I've seen it, even with the well-educated, spooky fish of the West Branch. You want real frustration with boaters? Come join some of us on the Lehigh and deal with floatillas of 50+ "whitewater" rafters each coming thru several times a day. I'll gladly take being interrupted by several lone pontoons or driftboats in a day's fishing than the Lehigh's growing rubber hatch.

I have nothing against floaters, but the Beaverkill is just not conducive to any type of watercraft. With so much water that is appropriate for a boat in that area, the only reason one would float the B'kill is to thumb their noses at fellow anglers.

Back