floating nymphs

mcwillja

mcwillja

I would like to start a thread about peoples favorite floating nymphs and if you have any recipes or pics I would like to see them. I have been tying some BWO and sulphur floating nymphs and will post pics when I can but I found fishing these nymphs behind a dry in high pressured tailwaters and spring creeks very effective, and I think it's something most anglers neglect at times including myself.

They are actually easy to tie but I would like to see how yours compares to mine so I would appreciate any pics or recipes.

Hare's Ear (or Pheasant Tail if you swing that way). Stick floatant on fly and leader. No wizardry involved.

yeah good point Gary, I know they are simple almost too simple but effective. I have been using 2mm foam cut in half for the wing cases to help float the nymphs.

I made one of those once. I looked at it for nearly a year before I cut it off the hook and made a Hare's Ear without the glob of foam.

I used to fish the DHALO section of Lycoming Creek and the fish there would eat ISO shucks all day.

One day I floated a size 12 unweighted PT and caught fish consistently.

Tie the DS emerger in 2 colors....#12-#18 and that's all you'll need.

what's the DS emerger and is that A. Jasper as your avatar LOL

Kern ISOs are killer on lycoming creek for sure

Having experimented with a variety of floating nymphs and emergers, most utilizing foam, I've come to the conclusion that you get diminishing returns as you get into increasingly smaller sizes. These days, for nymphs under about #16, I usually just grease a regular fly.

I like using un-weighted nymphs with a cdc wing case and a greased leader

For the most part, I tie my nymphs (the same patterns) three ways:

-Heavy anchor flies with tung beads and/or heavy lead wraps to get down in heavy current and/or deep water

-Brass bead and/or lighter lead weight tied in the body for general fishing in moderate currents and depth

-No weight added for surface feeders on emerging nymphs and treated with floatant to ride in/on the film or no floatant to ride just below the surface when fish are seen picking off nymphs high in the water column.

Same pattern fished top to bottom or bottom to top

To distinguish the weight differences, I use different colored thread to finish each weight fly. The brighter thread patterns act like a small hotspot on the fly and seem to work well for me at times.

that seems like a good system there afish especially the different colored thread finishes.

wing knot emerger is what i like a lil floatant on the knot very basic and effective

Back