Floating Flyline is sinking!

F

flynoob

Hey guys,
I have some scientific angler 4wt fly line that is about 2 years old. I've applied line dressing to it about ever 4 trips to clean it and well as soap and water. The last two times i've been out it seems that the tip where the leader to fly line connection down about 8 or 9" is sinking. So when I have an indicator the fly line is sinking then the indicator is floating and the leader is sinking. Finding it difficult to get a good drift. What are my options for fixing the problem? Do I cut those 9" off and re-do the nail knot connection?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Go out and buy some Bon-Ami cleanser , buy the original formula not any other , using a sponge or cloth and the Bon-Ami in a basin of warm water give it a good semi-abrasive scrub , afterwards dry the line off well and apply a line treatment appropriate for the type of line you have , if it's vinyl you can use Armor All , if not vinyl make sure to use what the MFG. says U R SET 2 GO......replace the line to leader connection on a regular basis , like every four trips , have you ever tried the braided connections? for floatation they seem to work better for me.

I would cut off those 8" and re-tie my leader.

However, if you fish a lot 2-3 years for a line is good; then you have to replace.

If it's cracked and dirt is in the cracks it's time for a new line.

I think lines are rated for like 200 hours fishing or something like that.

I wouldn't cut anything off. Cutting the line allows the core to wick moisture. It sounds like that is already happening.

I will respectably disagree with osprey on the braided loops. In my experience, they sink like stones, slap the water, and fail on big fish.

If you're treating the line and it's still sinking, you might be better off getting a new one. I mostly buy cheap lines, so I don't fuss with them when they start acting up. They get recycled for other uses when possible, or tossed in the trash.

I'm with Jay on this one. Check the end of the line for cracks first. Also, make sure the line has a few days to dry out, and then seal the end with superglue. Cover the nail knot with it also. That should stop the line from wicking up water.

It took me 30 years to gain confidence in Bead heads (JayL's) i can tie a nail know without getting out of the water , i think that's essential but these braided connections , if you do it right , to me are the bomb , i did have one fail , never had a nail knot fail. What Does happen with a nail knot is i develop a crack almost overnight and have to replace it.........so my position is one of laziness.

Check the line for cracks near the end, this is the most likely place for cracking to start. When a line starts cracking it starts to get wet inside and sinks. Not saying this is the problem, just to look for it.

Back