Float Tubes

JVenezia

JVenezia

Looking into them and was wondering what others experience has been with them. And if they have recommendations based on experience with different brands and styles.

I have a Dave Scadden Assault. I use it on the Lehigh, Delaware and Susky. It only weighs 22lbs and I have not been able to damage it. Run some pretty rocky rapids with never an issue.
I do like that it has a slight rocker to it so it doesn't plow through the water as much as float on it. The other plus I like is the open front that you use fins to move or position / hold position while floating. You can use oars too. Fins really give you constant control. And if you want to fish a spot for a bit, you just stand up and you are in the middle of the boat on the river bottom. The boat doesn't float away and if you want to walk a little ways, the boat is there to support you so you don't trip and fall in. Ok, so I really enjoy this boat. One for sale on this site earlier this week did catch my eye and it is a good price. Do a Google and see this boat and others. I got mine at the fly show in Lancaster a few years ago.
Good luck finding the right one for you.
Schiff

JVenezia wrote:
Looking into them and was wondering what others experience has been with them. And if they have recommendations based on experience with different brands and styles.

A float tube or a pontoon boat, there is a difference.

Float tubes have NO frame, can be deflated, folded up and can fit in the trunk of any vehicle. You sit low in the seat. In other words, your butt is IN the water so many folks wear waders or shorts when fishing from one.

You propel them with fins/flippers only and your legs hang down below the surface of the water at the knees. For that reason, you get great thrust from flippers but because your legs hang down so low, they are really only 100% safe in still water, meaning lakes.

They are 100% legal in PA and PFBC & DCNR lakes, even tubes with only one air bladder, no registration or permit is required and of course a PFD is mandatory.

Closed or open hull pontoon boats like the one mentioned by schiff are more versatile because you sit higher so your flippers don't hang down as low. For that reason, they are safe in moving water. They are better propelled with oars but flippers work too although you have less flipper thrust than a true float tube. They come in framed and frame-less options that can be deflated for transport, but I doubt anybody does that.

They cost WAY more than a float tube but I believe the added cost is justified. I know they are 100% legal in PA and PFBC & DCNR lakes but I don’t know if any permits or registration is required and of course, a PFD is mandatory.

I have a float tube that I only use in lakes & ponds for bass. I love it because I sit low and I like using flippers for propulsion & holding position hands free. I also love being able to inflate and deflate in a few minutes with a hand pump for easy transport. Yea it sucks when you want to cross a huge lake or reservoir with flippers only but I still would rather fish from a float tube in a lake for the stealthiness of flippers over oars and because you sit so low that the fish ignore you thinking you are a giant goose.

If I had a truck and a desire to fish in rivers, I’d buy a closed hull or framed open hull pontoon.

Bamboozle wrote:

They are 100% legal in PA and PFBC & DCNR lakes, even tubes with only one air bladder, no registration or permit is required and of course a PFD is mandatory.

are you sure about that - I love my float tube but have not been able to find a private lake in PA to fish it on - the regs say that any inflatable device must be at least 7ft long and have two separate air bladders.

my Super Fat Cat is only 64" - 5'4".

On Fish & Boat Commission lakes, inflatable boats must be seven or more feet in length, be constructed of durable corded fabric reinforced with cloth and coated and have at least two separate buoyancy chambers, excluding inflatable flooring or bottom.

from

http://fishandboat.com/fishpub/summary/pfbcproperty.html

this is the only private lake I've been able to find - and its pay to fish.

http://kurtzlivebaitvending.com/?page_id=51

if anyone knows of any other private ponds I can fish - especially for trout let me know, as its a lovely way to fish for trout or warmwater...

cheers

Mark.

Mine meets those requirements, but I know others with smaller floats that have never been bothered. I think it is one of those laws that are in placed but only used if a person is doing something really stupid and it is a way to get them off the water. Just my thought. I think they will look for 2 air chambers though.

This may be of interest.

https://www.fish.state.pa.us/newsreleases/2011press/paddler-info.htm

I have a float tube and tried using it at Nockamixon. A WCO asked me to take it out of the water. He said the regulations were unclear for that lake but he preferred me not on the water as he thought I was hard to see by power boaters. I was just in a shallow bay but complied with his wishes. This was in the late 90s.

On Bucks County lakes and ponds I was told by the department that oversees them that if I purchased a watercraft permit I could use it on the county waters.

geebee wrote:
Bamboozle wrote:

are you sure about that - I love my float tube but have not been able to find a private lake in PA to fish it on - the regs say that any inflatable device must be at least 7ft long and have two separate air bladders.

I'm positive.

Float tubes are NOT considered boats by the PFBC & DCNR therefore the inflatable "boat" regulations don't apply:

From the PFBC link below:

Float tubes or similar devices are permitted while fishing on Fish & Boat Commission lakes so long as the device contains two air bladder systems. It may not be propelled by a mechanical device. The user must wear a Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device.

From the DCNR link below:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/recreation/fishing/

Float tubes continue to rise in popularity. Quality float tubes are permitted in State Park waters in lakes and still water away from designated swimming or boat launching areas. A quality float tube has two air bladders made of heavy gauge rubber or PVC material covered by a durable fabric shell of denier nylon, Codora or similar material. Float tubes may only be propelled by non-mechanical, non-motorized devices like oars. A U.S. Coast Guard approved personal flotation devise (PFD) must be worn at all times. A state park officer can terminate float tube use if the devise is being used in an unsafe manner or during unsafe conditions.

I MAY be wrong but I think the "two separate air bladder" requirement went away last year. That doesn't effect me since my tube has two bladders anyway.

Now of course this doesn't mean you won't be challenged by other fishermen, DCNR Rangers or WCO's as to the legality of float tubes on PFBC or DCNR property. I also had a WCO ask me why I didn't have a motor on mine when the regs clearly state NO MECHANICAL PROPULSION.

For that reason, I carry a copy of the regs in a ZipLoc bag in my float tube when "tubing". Every time I needed to "update" a Ranger or WCO as to the regs, things went in my favor or once I got to a superior. The law & regs are clear. They are just confusing.

FWIW - I have tubed hassle-free on Leiser, Minsi, Scotts Run, Tuscarora, Hopewell, Gifford Pinchot, Locust Lake, Memorial Lake, Laurel Lake, Kaercher Creek Lake, Pecks Pond, Nockamixon, Lake Towhee, Giving Pond and Deep Creek Lake among others.

Disclaimer - I have NO idea how the PFBC & DCNR view pontoon boats. These links & comments only cover true float tubes on PFBC & DCNR property.

Also, regulations on County or Municipality owned facilities can vary. For the most part they mirror DCNR & PFBC regulations for simplicity sake, but not always. For that reason I always call BEFORE going to a lake or pond and get the name of the person who said it was OK.

Have fun and know your regs!

good link. I have a drift boat and a pontoon and always have the life vest covered, but forgot about the device to blast my location... need to throw a whistle in the boat bag!

I keep a whistle attached to my ball cap in the back.

It sits under the cap out of the way but available if I need it.

Since I am a moron I can't forget it as long as I have my hat. It also ain't a bad thing to have when fishing in the middle of nowhere.

price is a big factor

along with where and how you are going to use

Bamboozle wrote:
[
I'm positive.

Float tubes are NOT considered boats by the PFBC & DCNR therefore the inflatable "boat" regulations don't apply:

From the PFBC link below:

Float tubes or similar devices are permitted while fishing on Fish & Boat Commission lakes so long as the device contains two air bladder systems. It may not be propelled by a mechanical device. The user must wear a Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device.

From the DCNR link below:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/recreation/fishing/

Float tubes continue to rise in popularity. Quality float tubes are permitted in State Park waters in lakes and still water away from designated swimming or boat launching areas. A quality float tube has two air bladders made of heavy gauge rubber or PVC material covered by a durable fabric shell of denier nylon, Codora or similar material. Float tubes may only be propelled by non-mechanical, non-motorized devices like oars. A U.S. Coast Guard approved personal flotation devise (PFD) must be worn at all times. A state park officer can terminate float tube use if the devise is being used in an unsafe manner or during unsafe conditions.

I MAY be wrong but I think the "two separate air bladder" requirement went away last year. That doesn't effect me since my tube has two bladders anyway.

Have fun and know your regs!

thanks very much Bamboozle for clearing that up ! - I guess that teaches me not to read the whole regs.....

luckily mine does have two bladders - the seat and the rib.

that's awesome - I will start planning float trips in SEPA right now ;-)

i'll have to get a PFD this weekend.

cheers

mark.

Mark:

If you budget will allow, I can't speak any more favorably about the Mustang Automatic Inflatable M.I.T 100 PFD.

First of all, it is unbelievably comfortable, doesn't pop-off if it gets wet and is manually inflatable as well. I've worn mine in a boat all day in 90+ weather and it didn't bother me one bit.

The good news is if you fall in, it will automatically inflate, it comes with a whistle AND it meets the PFBC requirements.

The other thing I do is use a throwable PDF seat cushion under my butt on top of the float tube seat. That DOESN'T meet the PFBC requirements but it doesn't hurt to have.

Thanks - i am looking at around that price - the Cabelas 250N is similar priced.

Oynx M-24 manual inflation chest pfd. 80 bucks from redsgear.com

small, simple, doesnt get in the way at all. wont inflate accidentally (unless you pull the cord)

Back