Flies Saltwater Caribbean

S

supervdl

I am new to saltwater fly fishing. I want to get some in while I am in the Dominican Republic. Just some fishing from the shore and beach. The spot has smaller fish because the local fishermen heavily fish it. The beach is calm not many waves. I have an 8 weight rod and some sinking fly line. I don’t want to buy or go crazy on flies. My question is what type of flies should I tie/ buy for this trip especially since I don’t know the fish I might get. Closer minnows come to mind, but what colors? Anything else? Thanks.

I don't know much about the Dom Rep - it's not one of the destination angling areas.

With that said, I'd guess an 8WT rod would be perfect. In addition to clousers, have some small "Gotcha" type flies and some basic crab flies that will fish hook upward as these flies are good for snappers, various reef fishes etc. and bonefish too (if they're around). I'd have some long slender streamers and wire leaders for cudas as well.

Good luck with your trip. Let us know how you made out.

Years ago my 8 year old son brought his fishing rod to do some fishing. We stayed at an all inclusive and he would order a shrimp ****tail for himself. Take the shrimp and use it as bait. He caught all kinds of fish, mostly parrot fish and what looked like a small permit among others I have no idea what they were. I would say a shrimp pattern would work.

As for clousers I would think green, blue, silver, white and shrimp pink combinations.

Tigereye wrote:
... what looked like a small permit among others I have no idea what they were. I would say a shrimp pattern would work.

Likely a Pompano (if this was the US Atlantic coast).

In the Caribbean they also have a fish called a "palometa" that is closely related and has that distinct shape.

Dave_W wrote:
I don't know much about the Dom Rep - it's not one of the destination angling areas.

With that said, I'd guess an 8WT rod would be perfect. In addition to clousers, have some small "Gotcha" type flies and some basic crab flies that will fish hook upward as these flies are good for snappers, various reef fishes etc. and bonefish too (if they're around). I'd have some long slender streamers and wire leaders for cudas as well.

Good luck with your trip. Let us know how you made out.

What is a simple crab fly pattern that is easy and quick to tie and will work as you described above?

The locals fish shrimp as bait as well. What's a good pattern for that? Are those the gotcha type patterns?

supervdl wrote:

What is a simple crab fly pattern that is easy and quick to tie and will work as you described above?

The locals fish shrimp as bait as well. What's a good pattern for that? Are those the gotcha type patterns?

Yes, the gotcha will imitate a shrimp. A very good pattern that also imitates a shrimp (also mantis shrimp) would be the "Borski Slider." For a good basic crab fly, look up "Del Brown's Merkin."

What size should the clouser be? The fish I expect to catch won't be very large.

I wouldn't even bother with clousers down there. Fish will be on crabs and shrimp.

BrookieChaser wrote:
I wouldn't even bother with clousers down there. Fish will be on crabs and shrimp.

Almost all shrimp patterns are just tan or pink clousers

Back