Flies I like for sulphurs.

gfen

gfen

Look, there was some sort of fancy sulphur swap, but I can't be bothered to try and tie like eleventy billion flies to trade, I can barely be assed to tie a handful for myself (I tied six royal wulffs for the jam, that was the sum total of flies tied in the last few months, I think).

Anyways, sulphurs and all that. Last year I had it all really come together for me and boost my ego to a point where I thought I knew what the hell I was doing. I was wrong, but I still cling to two patterns that worked, one for the top and one for the bottom.

box1.jpg

First off, my second favourite dry fly, the Fran Betters' Usual

There's not much to it, really. One material. And if you're super cheap, you can pretty much get away with zero waste.

usual1.jpg

Bulk of the hair comes from the front, by the toes. I'll flesh out the scrap pile I use for the body with a little bit from the heel side. I've tied alot of flies from this foot, figure its about halfway used up. $3 for like two seasons worth of flies? Hell yeah, its a bargin!

usual9.jpg

Fran liked orange thread, and I like it too. Its flashy, and looks great under the fur. It'll bleed through, so it'll make your Usual extra sulphurery.

usual3.jpg

Cut some fur from the toes, hold tips and pull out the short junk from the stem. Tie in as a tail. Repeat for a wing. Put the short junk in a pile, cut a little more from the heel, and blend it in the palm of your hand.

usual5.jpg

Yeap, just like that. We won't waste any.

Now, the offical Betters way was touch dubbing, but I don't bother. I like loops. They're fun, easy, and bouyant as hell.

So, first you loop and wax it.

usual4.jpg

Trap hair from your scrap pile inside it.

usual6.jpg

Spin 'er up and let it get locked in.

usual7.jpg

Wrap the loop around, tie it off, and you're done. Biggity bam!

usual8.jpg

The other one I really loved to use last year was the yellow pennell, another fly that like the Usual can be tied in just about any variation of colour. The floss body will take on the hue of the under thread, so you can use that to give it an almost translucent quality. Proper floss body flies were supposed to be tied over white thread, switching to black for the head only. By using hte same fire orange, the whole fly will go orangish under the yellow floss, or in this case, I used olive to give it a more greenish, natural cast.

yellowpennell.jpg

Silver oval tinsel tag, pheasant tippet tail, yellow silk body, and silver ribbing. Any light colour webby hackle works for a collar. The original reciple called for long, soft #OOPS# (that word was another term for rooster) hackle, but I'm pro-partridge. I also put a little orange dubbing ball in for a thorax to help keep the hackle out and moving.

Start your sulphur fun by tying on a Usual for an indicator, and then drop a Pennell about a foot below. Fish dead drift and into the swing. The Usual will skate along, and the Pennell will lift. When the duns get rockign, clip off the Pennell and fish the Usual through the rest of the night.

gfen,

I love the pennell. I'm a sucker for soft hackles. Have you ever wrapped the tinsel tag the length of the hook shank...laying the silver tinsel under the floss instead of thread? I tie some steelhead wets like this. Not sure if it really makes any difference to the fish.
Good lookin' sulphurs.

No, but that's a pretty interesting thought to try. If I'm motivated to sit down and make another, I'm going to have to give that a try. Actually, just using flat mylar tinsel the whole length down might give it a nice shimmer, too.

I'll see if I can remember to do both those variations.

I really got into the black pennell last year, and I think they're all just really classy looking and had a whole little rainbow collection of 'em. I turned out a brown version last night, and I'm hoping that it'll really get nice and lifelike when wet, too.

I am also an advocate of simple, durable flies for sulphurs, so I'll throw my hat into the ring.

Subsurface:
Nymph: Tungsten bead and ginger hare's mask. Use the guard hairs toward the front and rib with wire. I like to line the guard hairs up and put them in a dubbing loop for a collar.

Emerger: Dyed yellow pheasant tail tails and body, two turns of bleached partridge behind the bead.

Dry: CDC and elk with yellow cdc.

please tell me you have kids, otherwise you've got some explaining to do (note your choice of backdrop)...

sniperfreak223 wrote:
please tell me you have kids, otherwise you've got some explaining to do (note your choice of backdrop)...

But, did you tell Swiper no swiping?

i like these ideas,especially the pennell.i use black and green pennells but never thought of yellow.

my most successful sulphur fly has been a plain old partridge and yellow.

i have tyed a lot of soft hackles for sulphurs including twisting orange and yellow thread,using orange and yellow jasper thread and blending orange and yellow dubbing.however,i have just as much luck with a partridge and yellow.

Somehow, it feels naked without a tail, yet the fish didn't seem to mind the other night.

Back