Flies for the big day

Your flies will catch fish.........another fly not to forget for opening day is the GLO-BUG............one fine opening day way way back.....I got a late start.......when I got to the creek the fishing was slow........I tied on a honker pink glo-bug and caught one fish after another........it was hysterical.......a good fried was also fishing there.........he asked how I did.......I said awesome, like 20 trout........he laughed and said no way...........I then caught 2 right in front of him.........he mumbled and walked away......the best part of the day was that there was a fish rising every couple of minutes.......taking something small.........I told my buddy to watch this.......tied on a small adams dry fly........caught the fish on the first drift.........all the bait guys were shell shocked.........they couldn't believe it.........

never under-estimate the power of the glo-bug........I caught some honker rainbows at Big Spring Creek back in the day on glo-bugs........the old timers there really didn't care much for my glo-bug antics..........

I will try and use up more of the shank and start tails etc. back farther. As for the glo bug, I have been wanting to tie some of those because they look like powerbait..........yep I said it.

They work like it too.

Easy, cheap, effective tie. They are money on the tully.

one should never apologize for using GLO-BUGS

another good story is from my college days.....I went to the fly shop and asked the guy if he had any glo-bugs, he showed me a few and I said: any bigger ones.....the gent reached into his fly box and took a few out and said these are for salmon and steelhead....I said right-on........he asks where I plan to fish them: I say the Savage River....he gave me the You Have Got to be Freakin' kidding me stare or the get the bleep out of here stare......he goes, you know they are mostly all wild trout.....I go yep.......paid for his flies and left........I showed up a week later asking for more: he goes did you catch anything........I go yes, a bunch of big beautiful brown trout-- he goes, you're kidding right....I say no joke big dude..........the water was high.....and they were slamming the peachy colored glo-bugs.....5 nice browns.....he laughed and sold me some more of his salmon / steelhead glo-bugs..........it was late november / early december

sometimes you just can't beat a good glo-bug

and if you like catching the golden rainbows that the state stocks....be sure to carry some "power bait" sized glo-bugs in pink, peach, or corn color!!!!

and the glo-bug comany runs a contest every month.....my buddy won a few months ago........

hail the mighty glo-bug or as another friend calls them:
belly lint

I agree with MKern proportioning is key, try to divide the hook shank in half and make the tails the hook shank length I think your find the flies tie better and are visually more proportional.

I haven't scanned this information for validity, but here goes:

http://www.sexyloops.com/flytying/proportion.shtml

oops,double post.sorry.

chstrcntyfish,your flies will definately catch fish.one way to get over the fear of using your own tyed flies is to have a two or three fly cast.one of your own with one or two store bought.

say for example a BHPN on top,tyed by you.then say a GRHE and/or PTN as droppers.

you'll find you catch more on your own slightly rough flies.

as far as opening day flies:eek:ne opening day on fresh stockies they hit any fly with red in it.it didn't matter if it was a red brassie,royal coachman,wired red but soft hackle ,red copper john etc.
i know that makes it sound like spin fishing,but it worked that day.
i was the only one catching anything for quite some time.when people(and a lot of them)asked what i was using i said"anything red!"it was unbelievable!

Ok so I tied up some flies today. I am really slow so I didn't get that many done.

I don't have glo bug yarn yet so I figured I would try a pattern I found on google that uses chenelle. I tried that it doesn't look exactly like an egg though. (Also, it was white chanelle so I colored it with a sharpie, so now its RED...)
I also got a new issue of PA angler and boater and tried the pattern in there substituting with what I had. It was practice anyway.
Also did a PN without a bead.
And finally, I was feeling up to it so I tried a copper john. Didn't have some of the stuff but used what I had, for example instead of Thinskin I just used plastic baggie, even though it isn't black. I thought it turned out pretty good.

Looks good to me.

I wish I was a member here when I first started tying.

chstrcntyfish,

If you are going to try and tie some glo bugs and want to go out and get some yarn, you may want to look into mcfly foam. I bought a bunch of glo bug yarn a couple years ago that I haven't touched since buying mcfly foam. For me, it is much easier to work with. However, you might find it the other way around, so maybe get both if you can and see what works better for you.

chstrcntyfish wrote: “I don't have glo bug yarn yet so I figured I would try a pattern I found on google that uses chenelle. I tried that it doesn't look exactly like an egg though. (Also, it was white chanelle so I colored it with a sharpie, so now its RED...)”

I’ve caught many steelhead and trout on Chenille eggs like the one you tied up in the picture. Tip, dub on a little Lite Brite or Antron yarn and comb in out and leave some fine sparkly strands to hover around the egg. The fish seem to like it.

Another thing, Sharpies (or any other permanent marker brand) are a great way to color materials without buying many different colors of the same stuff. Often times I buy light colored material and use the markers to color them (including tying thread).

Nice job on the flies. Every one of those flies you tied will catch fish. Don’t worry about perfection in fly tying – the fish mind a lot less than the fishermen. Many times the funkier tied flies or the beat up ones catch the most fish. Good luck.

I hope they catch fish....even if they don't need to be perfect it would definitly make me feel better spending all that money on materials. Sounds like I might tie some more of those eggs for the time being. I'll have to find more sharpies.

Back