Flies for sale

G

Grape

Any recommendations on a place to purchase flies for a beginner? I read a bunch of threads on here listing numerous flies to start with but haven't come across a reasonable place to purchase them.

Thanks!

Me. (Just kidding. Many guys on here are better tiers than me.)

The best advice I can give is to walk into the nearest fly shop to where you plan to fish, and talk to the owner as to what's happening and what you'll need.

Flies change species, size, shape, and color from stream to stream, and I've seen differences in the same water a few miles apart. I've even seen different species on two streams on opposite sides of a mountain.

As much as I don't like to promote the big box stores, usually bass pro and cabelas sometime in the spring have sales on the flies in the shops. Last year bass pro had a dozen mixed flies for $6. You may not get that price at a non chain shop but it's the conversation and knowledge that usually makes it worth it!

You can go to an Orvis Fly shop....And you can also order online.

Ok:

Your local fly shop will generally have higher quality, and pricier flies. By higher quality I mean in terms of how well it's tied. They're less likely to tear apart the first time you catch a fish on them. If they're dries they'll float better, etc. And they'll be better matches for the local insect scene in that general area. At most of them, you can make an order too, just call them and they'll ship them to your door.

Or you can order mass produced, lower quality flies for cheaper at places like the Fly Shack, among others. For an initial collection, this may be the way to go.

But amassing a collection is usually something you build up to. Maybe start with a decent selection from somewhere cheap like the fly shack. Then as you start making trips, stop by the fly shop to pick up the current flies that are taking fish at that time based on hatches and so forth.

Once you've got a base collection, your problem will be the same as all of us. You've got a bazillion flies, but only a few of each thing. When that's the thing you need, you quickly run out. Now, despite still having a bazillion flies, you don't have the one you need, so you either gotta tie it or stop by a shop. It's a pain to make so many trips to fly shops sometimes. Hence how you get into tying....

When I was just starting to move from flyfishing for bass to trout, I got two books... "Trout Streams and Hatches of Pennsylvania" by Charles Meck and "Flyfisher's Guide to Pennsylvania" by Dave Wolf. They listed the most popular flies for the water for time of year I was fishing. (not as much on nymphs) Then I ordered them by the dozen from Sierra Trading Post (nicely tied flies for good $$ with a discount code which are easy to find)... and they have been useful, plus or minus... We have an LL Bean near us and they have nice flies and usually someone who knows what's hatching and what works locally.

But nothing, and I mean nothing, for this intermediate flyfisher anyway, beats going to the local fly shop. They will know what is fishing good and will have high quality flies. They educate me on different rigs and how to fish them...I always stop in, if there is one, and buy a bunch of flies, even if I don't absolutely need them. Or a fly box, something... The knowledge they share makes my purchase a very high value.

The Sporting Gentleman is near you(and me)

I have more flies than I could ever want.Send me a PM and I'll get some to you. BTW:I have book marked a few online fly shops that I have been satisfied with,i could share with you
Regards
Tom

I'm a relative newbie (5-years in). I will tell you that the best thing for me was to plan an extra 15-20 minutes into my travel time and hit a fly shop on the way to the stream. It certainly added up financially, but it helps you build up the base that you need in the future.

Another suggestion I would give you would be to keep a journal. I think that it was really helpful to me to identify what flies I needed at a given time of year, or on a certain weather day. It helped me to focus in on what I needed in years two and three and was EXTREMELY helpful for when I started tying myself.

Again...I'm far from an expert (and there are SEVERAL who are posting on this thread), but it's what helped me negotiate the learning curve.

Back