Fleece v. Wool

B

boychick

I'm in the market for new wader pants. It seems like wool has made a comeback. Has anyone tired the new wool products out there? Is one better than the other?

-B

Simms has a new line of merino that is very nice

Go underarmour or go home! Doesn't matter what you put over top IMO as long as it helps take moisture away. Since I got underarmour I've eliminated a full layer of clothes when fishing in the cold weather.

Underarmor is incredible stuff. I use it a lot when hunting/fishing in colder weather. It really keeps your skin dry. And when you get home, if your at a cabin or a campsite you can wash it in a sink or stream and it's dry and wearable in just a few hours. You can put wet clothes overtop and it will not soak through and get your skin wet. When fishing, you can even dip your arm in the stream, and within minutes the skin will be dry again.

I do not think mine (standard coldgear) has much in the way of insulating properties, though, it's purely to keep me dry. The next layer may get soaked, though.

I was never a fleece fan, well, for outdoor use anyway. It just gets soaked for me, and then its heavy, dries slowly, and loses it's insulating properties.

Wool is an old standby. It gets wet but continues to insulate when wet.

I never tried underarmour but I do use polypropelene and it is very expensive but you won't ever have to buy another pair of wading pants. I use them in the Delaware and never get cold. The water there can be in the low 40s and the Salmon River in winter gets into the low 30s as well. I can't remember the brand I bought them at an outdoor show and thought I got ripped off but I was wrong.

Thanks for the input guys. I’ll check out the Underarmor.

I was never a fleece fan, well, for outdoor use anyway. It just gets soaked for me, and then its heavy, dries slowly, and loses it's insulating properties.
pcray, are you talking about cotton fleece, the type used in sweatshirts and hoodies? if so, I believe you. but modern synthetic fleeces are the "go to" insulating layer for active outdoors folks. if it gets wet, you take it off, wring it out and it will keep you damn near as warm as when dry. I've been wearing fleece for the past 25 or so years, fishing, hiking, skiing, camping, etc.

Yep. I go with synthetic fleece as well. Underarmor is too expensive, and just between me and you, really starts to smell like an old hoagie after a few hours of sweat.

jayL wrote:
Yep. I go with synthetic fleece as well. Underarmor is too expensive, and just between me and you, really starts to smell like an old hoagie after a few hours of sweat.

Meh, maybe its the people you fish with .. . lol.

That's from my own experience with it, gagging from my own pit smell.

I hear ya Jayl, I wear synthetic warm weather t-shirts under my riding gear during motorcycle trips, they do keep my dry and comfortable, only need to take two for a multi week trip, wash them in the sink or where ever and they dry by morning. they do develope some odor quicker than cotton though, gotta beef up on the deodorant! I'll take the trade off though for their comfort, ease of washing and quick drying.
I've also become a huge fan of ex-officico boxer underwear, same deal, two pair for any type of trip, wear one and wash the other.
lots of good brands out there, underarmor being just one of them.
also, merino wool is really making a comeback into the underwear world, might pick some up this winter to try out. another option for underwear, and some say it's the best, is silk. I have no experience with it though.
back to the original post, asking about pants to wear under waders, I wear lightweight nylon hiking type pants under them most of the year, but in winter I wear a pair of micro-fleece pants. I rarely have a problem with being cold.

Well, I have both cotton fleece and what I think is a synthetic fleece. I suppose I should dig a little deeper and give fleece more of a shot as a mid-layer. The one I'm basing it on is by the brand "Polartec". I'm pretty sure it's sythetic but not 100% sure. It is an older garment, they may have improved versions.

The Polartec does insulate pretty well even when wet. But it really gets wet, we're talking dripping. Yeah, you could wring it out, and I do, but when a clothing layer always seems to need wringed out when none of my other garments are overly wet, it doesn't make me think super highly of it.

That said, wool is probably taking on every bit as much water, but it seems to be able to absorb it and doesn't "feel" so saturated like the fleece. Ultimately, though, if you're willing to put up with some wringing, wringed-out fleece is going to stay lighter than wet wool.

But yeah, the middle layer is where I've always struggled. I feel like I've perfected the base and outer layers and struggle with that middle layer. Often, I just pack it in, so that you can stay cool and sweat less while hiking. Once you get where your going and slow down (on stand, start fishing, etc.), then break out a dry mid-layer and button up, and it doesn't so much matter the material, even cotton is fine as long as its dry.

Jay, yeah, underarmour gets kind of rank after a long day. In deer camp, we each have like 1 set, there's no washing machine, and we're out like 5 or 6 days straight, which is a pretty disturbing thought! Washing it in the sink with hand soap or dish soap is like a nightly ritual, it does take the rankness away. When camping, I do the same by taking it to a stream and soak/wring/soak/wring. Overnight is MORE than enough time to dry it completely. Really, I think it'd be wearable in an hour or two.

The only issues I've had with that routine is when camping below freezing. It doesn't dry then!!!!!

OK, I may be biased as there is a Columbia Outlet less than 10 miles from my house, and my wife checks on clearance sales. I have been more than satisfied with Omni-Wick base layer and Omni-Dry mid layer. I then can add whatever outer layer (or none) that I want.
Their Omni-Freeze is excellent in the summer and Omni-Shade is the best flats clothing I have ever worn.
When they drop a line or change colrs, the deals are incredible.

Am I the only one who uses patagonia's capilene as a baselayer? Stuff is light, thin, and really warm. I find that underarmour is just too damn tight. I also dont like the synthetic material under armour is made of. Capilene baselayers are snug fitting, but lack the python grip of UA. I usually go a level of capilene(3 or 4 depending on the conditions) with a pair of northface fleece tka 100 pants over that. I am toasty warm in february with plenty of flexibility. Its all about layering properly.

I use mostly patagonia capilene, I prefer the lighter weights. I do own an expedition wt top that is only good for negative temps!
I agree with the how underarmor fits, I prefer looser clothing.
regardless of brand, I agree it's all in how you layer for each weather situation.

FWIW, UnderArmour does make loose fitting base layers. They have several different fits, your thinking of the compression fit, which is most common, but its not all they have.

Personally, I was leary at first of the compression fit, but found that I like it. My brother did not, and he has one of the loose fits.

UnderArmour is 100% polyester. Capilene is also 100% polyester. Same material, both are synthetic.

yeah, most of the synthetic underwear is the same, they just use different weaves and treatments.

Anybody try the ECWCS base layer, used by the military?

Back