Flats Tarpon fishing

Nate540

Nate540

Hi guys looking for some suggestions. I'm looking to take my wife away for our 15yr anniversary sometime around spring break. was thinking about the Keys but not a definite yet (open to suggestions). So my question is have any of you taken a day trip and if so do you have and suggestions on location and guide service. I'm just looking to do 1 full day trip. I was also thinking of somewhere in Mexico. Let me know what experience you guys have had!

Thanks

Nathan

When is spring break? If it's march it would be too early for them in good numbers in the keys. By mid April it should be on fire.

April,, Homosassa. Problem there is the guides are booked years in advance. G G

iPhish wrote:
When is spring break? If it's march it would be too early for them in good numbers in the keys. By mid April it should be on fire.

Agree. ^

Spring Break is typically in March and this is early for consistent tarpon fishing in the Keys. There's a boatload (literally sometimes) of other things to pursue that month in the Keys: sailfish, permit around Key West, reds trout and snook in the backcountry, snappers and sundry wreck fish, cudas on the flats, sharks, etc.

It's possible to find some tarpon in the backcountry in March but the pickens are likely to be slim. There might be some in Key West Harbor too. If you really want to target Keys glamour species (esp with FF gear), it is much better to wait until late April or early May. The last time I was in the Keys in March I spent a lot of time on the flats and never even saw a bonefish or tarpon - water was just too cold.

I'm not sure about the tropics but I would guess that tarpon fishing is more consistent during the colder months of the year down there.

Good luck with your trip Nathan and congrats on 15 yrs!

As the guys mentioned above. The Keys are hit or miss in March.
That being said weather depending there can be some great tarpon fishing in the back country. I have had some unreal tarpon fishing then. But like I said weather dependent. Barracuda fishing is great that time of year. You don't need a guide for that. If you are interested in that send me a pm. Key West in March the permit fishing is hot.

GenCon

Are there a lot of places in the keys where you can wade and catch fish rather than needing a boat? My wife keeps bitching about the cold and snow and wants to move south. I'd only consider going somewhere that I can wade and catch a bunch of fish in saltwater.

Thanks for the input guys let me see if I can nail down the dates and then maybe you guys can help with a location. Like I said I'm not dead set on the Keys though I'll go where I can find the fish ;). But as one of you mentioned I'm sure they're booking up if not booked already

Seen guys fish the bridges at night at Bahia Honda State Park.

I'll be in south Louisiana next month for 8 days. Prime time for bull reds. May be an option for you. Minimal crowds, decent temperatures, great food, cajun culture, and a plethora of fish species that take flies.

PocketWater wrote:
Are there a lot of places in the keys where you can wade and catch fish rather than needing a boat?

No.
Unfortunately, most of the Keys flats are too soft to wade (I've even tried wearing snowshoes, to no avail). There are some publicly accessible flats that are solid enough to wade, but these are well known and heavily fished.

Keys flats are mainly a boat fishery.

Thats correct Fishidiot. Loads of mud so a Kayak would be a good bet. Most any mangrove area should hold fish. GG

Yeah looks like it would probably be the last week of March. If not then it would have to be in June. Do you guys think it would be better to wait till then?

June, is a great time to go. I am going 2nd week. June is my favorite time for Tarpon. If you are serious about that time. You need to start looking for a guide now. Many are booked from year to year. But often you can find one who has a day here and there.

GenCon

www.islamoradaflyfishing.com/Inshore

www.budnmarys.com/fly-fishing?

keywestflyfishing.com/

3 of the better ones

June would be much better in the keys, maybe worms at BAhia Honda?
If in March, consider Isla Holbox at the northern tip of the Yucatan. Awesome spot for anniversary and lots of tarpon both big and small.

Not to hijack this but I'm thinking about heading down to FL gulf side near FT Myers within the next month, but I know nothing about fishing winter down there. I was down there over christmas and found tons of tarpon up to about the 40" range in the canals. hooked one on a borrowed spinning rod. Would those smaller tarpon be around in the coldest part of the year? What else might be around? I scouted some mangrove areas and small inlets that looked like easy access. I'd probably try to DIY it as I don't have that much cash to burn.

IOW, should I get serious about this possible trip, or save my vacation days for warmer weather? I'd love to finally catch a tarpon, even a small one, as I've had my butt handed to me by the 3 I've hooked to date.

as long as there isn't a real cold snap, they should be there. a heavy 8 or 9 wt will handle them, expect to lose more than you land. if you hook/raise 6 fish expect to lose all but and maybe that one too. tarpon can throw a hook easy. deiceivers, imitating the local bait will work for them. small 1 1/2 to 3" flies. snook, largemouth bass, (if you fish above the salt line) ladyfish too
heres a report from last year:

January 7, 2015

Christoff Linder's SnookMaik's CrevalleFt. Myers Beach to Charlotte Harbor) Since my last report, we experienced some real shallow (‘skinny’) water in conjunction with a cold front and strong north/northeast winds. Fortunately, the fish remained active. Shown here is Maik Lindner of Frankfurt, Germany holding a nice size Crevalle Jack he caught in a Cape Coral canal on the way to the ‘flats’. His brother, Christoff is shown with his first Snook on an artificial presentation while trolling the canal. Both fish were caught the day before the last cold (cool) front. Once we were on the ‘flats’, both fishermen continued to enjoy angling Spanish Mackerel, Seatrout and other species.

As a 16 year Florida resident I can tell you sadly, Summertime..and the fishing is easy...

Sarce

I've been on Pine Island for the past two weeks, fishing the canals and mangroves around Matlacha Pass from a kayak. There are a lot of trout, reds, snook and ladyfish. Most are in the 16 to 28 inch range, lady's are smaller but jump like crazy. I've been using light spin gear 8# test with shallow crank baits and surface lures. I have lost some nicer fish and have drug been drug around in the kayak. What a blast.The weather has been cool with a lot of rain, so fishing should only get better as it warms up over the next month or so.

You should be able to rent a kayak and get info from them that will get you into decent fishing almost anywhere.

Good luck

Ken

Back