Flashy dubbing in nymphs and wets

• Thread starter Roofin' Trouter
  • Start date
R

Roofin' Trouter

How often do you use flashy dubbing to tie nymph and wets? Where in the fly do you prefer the flash dub? Favorite flash dub brand for nymph and wets? When do you enjoy the best successes on those flies?

I like a little flash in my nymphs. Krystal Flash tailing (and/ or rib)is my favorite way to get a little flash on the bug. I also like to use flashy dubbing sparsely in a collar or a little pinching,snipping,and Velcro to get that hackle-like effect. My favorite is SLF Prism dub by Wapsi. I bought a few blends of Disco Dub by Nature's Spirit and was pleased with it in tying results and the way the fish responded to it. I feel like the fish respond to flash better in certain conditions. Slightly off color water and cloudy days seem to result in an up tick of fish that take the flashy fly, for me.

Can I get your 2 cents on this subject?

How often do you use flashy dubbing to tie nymph and wets? Where in the fly do you prefer the flash dub? Favorite flash dub brand for nymph and wets? When do you enjoy the best successes on those flies?

I like a little flash in my nymphs. Krystal Flash tailing (and/ or rib)is my favorite way to get a little flash on the bug. I also like to use flashy dubbing sparsely in a collar or a little pinching,snipping,and Velcro to get that hackle-like effect. My favorite is SLF Prism dub by Wapsi. I bought a few blends of Disco Dub by Nature's Spirit and was pleased with it in tying results and the way the fish responded to it. I feel like the fish respond to flash better in certain conditions. Slightly off color water and cloudy days seem to result in an up tick of fish that take the flashy fly, for me.

Hi, I don’t necessarily use flashy dubbing, but I have done well over the years with fine holographic tinsel as ribbing on otherwise generic hare’s ear, muskrat, pheasant tail style nymphs. Typically tied in sizes 16 and 18.

I use hare-tron for most of my hares ears and walts worm bodies. It's not super flashy but the antron adds a little sparkle. I use SLF prism on a caddis emerger pattern I tie.

IMG 20221003 205157103
IMG 20221029 192746349

I tie my nymphs about 50/50 with natural dubbing, and a mixture of natural and ice dubbing. The extra flash definitely seem to work very well overall, especially on stocked or less pressured wild fish. But I have also found that in general if fishing overly pressured fish, my SOP is to go to the most natural looking flies (lose the beadheads and the flash) and downsize fly and tippet. I'm a guy that loves the lively legz for a lot of my nymph patterns and I've found that a well tied lively legz, (usually a PT or GRHE nymph or possibly a more specific imitation of a Hendrick, sulphur, BWO, during a good hatch etc) with no bead, in a 16 or possibly 18, is my top producer on pressured fish. It's a dead ringer for the real thing. I like to fish tandems 90% of the time. On tough streams and pressured fish, I'll make my dropper a size 20 or smaller zebra midge. If this combo doesn't work (rare), I count my losses and start thinking about lunch. 😊

In a nutshell - flashy dub= better MOST of the time. But always carry some more natural patterns, too. Ya know. For those PhD fish....

I like the SLF Prism too, easier to dub than say Ice Dub. Probably used more often as a collar, sometimes a brighter hotspot collar.

Back