Flashback hares ear

lv2nymph

lv2nymph

flashbackharesear_zps50680f77.jpg

At first glance this appears to be your average flashback hares ear with chartreuse ribbing. But,it's what's hidden underneath... It's weighted with tungsten thread to the weight of a 7/64 tungsten bead, but still maintains the slim profile I like. Size 14

Very nice. Im a hares ear guy, especially buggy nymphs but i like how it keeps the slim profile. Good work by you Jack.

Nice. I now keep a spool of that stuff on an old metal tipped bobbin on my tying desk. It's kind of nice for beadless nymphs - lead wire also works, but it's harder to get a nice taper, I think.

nicely tied

jeremymcon wrote:
lead wire also works, but it's harder to get a nice taper, I think.
Thanks a lot guys.
Jeremy the thing that makes the tungsten thread so nice is how much weight you can put on in a given area versus lead wire. The profile it affords in a small amount of space is why I've been using it exclusively in my tying now. To get this much weight on a size 14 hook with lead it would end up being huge before you even started tying the fly.

I thought you went fishing yesterday?

Yea, we fished but I could only fish up to 3:00 yesterday, My daughters birthday party & my son had a game at 7:00 cut the day early. Not a problem though I've been fishing from three to after dark every day since wendsday. :-D then most of Saturday.

Very nice. I'm going to look for that thread and give it a try.

I could easily live out there, my nearest wild fish spot is 1.5 hours if I do 75 on the TPK. Well , there is Valley Creek but it just doesn't do it for me.

I take it this is the Spirit River Tung thread at 25 yards for a little under 5 bucks. Did you tie the fly with it including the finish knot or wrap/lash an area like you would with lead wire?

Nice work.

Chris, we've been here now just over ten years and I'm still amazed at what's outside my back door. I love it and take advantage of it all the time.
Dave, I use it like you would lead. I build the underbody, then tie the rest of the fly. One thing to note, to get this amount of weight on in this small an area you must make touching turns with the tungsten and take care to make a neat job of it. I will wrap as many hooks ahead of time that I'm going to tie first, then get to finishing the fly. Here is what the size 14 hooks look like with the weight of a 7/64 tungsten bead wrapped on.

tungstenthreadwraps_zpsf72dc7c0.jpg

Bill, I get it from here:

http://www.performanceflies.com/category-s/301.htm

thanks for the link jack,that was the fly that I had good luck with this weekend.i think I used all that I have, so I am going to tie more with that wire. had a great time fishing with you.

I will definately be picking your brain Mic!

Mic, the last time I saw you I looked back as I was driving away and your rod was bent over double... again! Come to find out you were fighting an eighteen incher, congrats hope there was a pic involved. You reminded me that I didn't have anymore of those nymphs when you showed me what you were getting them on so I tied some up last night, thanks. It was great meeting and fishing with you, and I hope to do it again very soon.

Jack, nice looking HE. When you use the tungston wire are you using the fine or extra fine?

GenCon

Thanks Mike, I use "fine" on hooks 16 and larger.

Back