Fishpond switchback pack

Bamboozle wrote:
If it was me, rather than spend $20 for the sake of change on something you many not like, AND spend money in a hurry because you don't have time to really search, I would focus on making what I ALREADY have, work for the upcoming trip.

Save your money this time, think about the issues you have with you current set-up while you are on your trip and resume the search when you get back.

At least that's what I would do...

^ Great advise.

When I first started out I would buy all kinds of gear and tackle and ended up with my basement and garage being a grave yard of FFing things that either didn't work well or were unneeded. It was only until I had some experience fishing that I could sort out what I needed and what would work well and fit well for my FFing.

As Bamboozle wrote above, save your money, work with what you have and gain some experience FFing to make more informed decisions when the time comes to buy new and better gear and tackle.

Okay I'll make it work and save my pennies.

Okay folks I took your advice and sorted it all out. Now I have a different collection for all the types of fishing that I do. I often do several types of fishing at the same place and the Warden thought I was a terrorist when he saw me get into the boat wearing four vests, four licenses, four creels and so forth, lol.........

Thanks, it all worked out.

[color=0000CC]"[I do the same thing. I literally have a large gear bag set up for every kind of fishing I do.

In the gear bag is the tackle carrying set-up I prefer (belt, chest pack, should bag, etc.), plus extra gear like tippet material, sunscreen and other stuff (AND a duplicate fishing license) so when I grab the bag, I am set and I can't forget anything at home. Since I only have a few rod & reel options for warmwater, I even keep my warmwater reels in the "warmwater bags" so when I head out for bass or panfish, I only need to grab a rod and a gear bag."]

[/color]

Okay its coming to a head. Time for another option. My current baby is almost ruined. I order a vest that was affordable. Nice actually. And I'm thinking vests aren't for me. My belly bump really put things out front and it feels hot. I'm trying to be more minimalist as well. Part of what dictates how big a pack must be is the storage boxes you intend to keep in it. I carry way too big of fly boxes and can easily cut them down in size by half.
When I Muzzleloader hunted I always carried a portable bag about the size of a mail bag. I'll attach some examples of what I'm talking about below........more than Bam did for us. I've liked this type of bag because it can be swung around back or to the other side and can be removed in a jig.
I too feel like I have too much on the outside to get caught on and will try to keep more in the bag. Comments encouraged but be nice;-)

Bamboozle wrote:
Baron wrote:
The reason this is so important to me is that I'm stuck in btwn. I FF and spinning fish. I Trout fish in creeks, Bass fish in Rivers and Panfish in lakes. I have been able to keep it all in one pack until now......but no more. I'll soon be forced to break it all up into groups that match. It may require me to have multiple vests or packs. Lots to consider.
It definitely isn't the cheapest option but there is no better way to organize gear than by the type of fishing you plan to do.

It is indeed a luxury, but I have separate set-ups for everything which means you have to duplicate certain items you carry, but it pays huge dividends in the long run.

The biggest reason I do it is because I am a minimalist when I can get away with it and I don't see the sense carrying bass tackle when I am fishing for trout and vice versa. I also spin fish and use casting tackle and who needs 6" Senkos and 4/0 hooks with them when they are fly fishing? I also have a separate bag for boat fishing for warm water fish because I don't like wearing a pack or vest in a boat when I am sitting.

In your case, take my advice and start by laying everything out and making a list of what stuff you need for what type of fishing. Don't forget stuff like rain gear, sunscreen, bug dope; stuff that if you forget, it will ruin your trip.

Next, figure out what you need two or more of, things like nippers or pliers. DON'T expect that you will remember to take your hemos out of your "trout bag" and put them in your "bass bag" before you go bass fishing...

...because you won't. ;-)

After you do your gear inventory, start thinking about HOW you want to carry what and start your homework. Research & time pay HUGH dividends in any product selection and fishing tackle is no exception!

Good luck!

Attachments

• 51fZhsVYqWL._SS36_.jpg
    51fZhsVYqWL._SS36_.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 2
  • carhartt-Black-Delta-Crossbody-Bag.jpeg
    carhartt-Black-Delta-Crossbody-Bag.jpeg
    18 KB · Views: 2
  • s-l64.jpg
    s-l64.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 2
  • s-l200.jpg
    s-l200.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 1
It seems like 9-12 '" wide is about it for comfort and freedon=m of movement.

I use a shoulder bag (man purse) for small stream fishing. Mine is a 12” wide canvas British job, similar to that useless minuscule top photo you posted. ;-)

A couple of things:

1. You will probably want a shoulder bag on the opposite side of your casting hand, but it will drive you nuts unless you swing it around almost behind you. However, IF you catch fish and are wading or fishing from the bank and have to bend over to release the fish, it will slide back in front of you and drive you nuts.

For that reason, I always use mine in conjunction with a belt with a couple of small pouches around my waist. One of those pouches holds my wading staff. That pouch is located at the 8:00 position on my waist belt. When I swing my man purse behind me, I position it on the other side of the wading belt pouch. The wading belt pouch keeps the man purse from sliding in front of me when I bend over, but doesn’t prevent me from positioning in front of me to get stuff from it...

...problem solved!

It doesn’t have to be a wading staff pouch, it could be a water bottle holder or whatever and it doesn't have to be a separate belt, but you get the idea.

2. A proper fishing bag has a WIDE shoulder strap, 2" minimum. DON'T buy one with a narrow strap, even if it has a shoulder pad. You'll be sorry if you do.

Shoulder straps that are sewn to the bag are usually more comfortable and lay better than those that attach to the bag with with clips and there is nothing to break. But straps that attach with clips allow you to easily slide something on the shoulder strap if you desire. I have a pocket knife in a sheath on my shoulder strap. I figured a way to attach the sheath even though my shoulder strap is sewn on, so a nondetachable strap isn't a deal breaker, juts a narrow strap.

3. British style or messenger type bags usually have one single large compartment and two pockets for fly boxes. Those pockets are for standard size fly boxes. If you have big fly boxes, they won’t fit and you will have to put them in the main compartment along with everything else. Finding smaller fly or lure boxes will solve that problem, IF you can find the right boxes.

Cabela’s used to sell a great cheap clear 7” long box that came in everything from undivided to 10 compartments. I use them for my bass flies and even lures but of course, I no longer see them on the Cabela’s website. Dewitt Plastics makes great boxes but you’ll have to decide what you want and then find someone who sells them.

4. Another problem with an over-the-shoulder bag with a single main compartment is, with fly-fishing comes gadgets so you have to dig around for things you might need which is pain if they are small. For that reason, I designed an insert for my shoulder bag that the manufacturer fabricated for me to hold the small items I carry...

...problem solved…for me.

However a bespoke insert won’t be an option with 99% of the single compartment bags out there so you will have to figure out another option to separate items or you will spend all your time digging around for stuff.

5. You will also more than likely have to come up with a place to attach a pair of nippers, pliers or hemos, tippet, etc. unless you want to dig around for them all the time. I hate dangling stuff so I keep that at a minimum.

6. What about rain gear, a net and other stuff? If you want to carry that all the time or just on occasion, you will have to put it in the bag. Will it fit, or will you have to figure out something else? I use the waist belt with pouches I mentioned earlier for my extra stuff so my shoulder bag doesn't end up weighing a ton.

The bottom line ONCE again is to think things through before you start buying or expect to buy over & over again until you find the right thing, which is a waste of time and money.

I'll say until I die, patience is a virtue when it comes to choosing fishing tackle...

It seems easy to drive you nuts;-)

I was hoping you'd write a book and you did. See that, you did all the research, I now can reap the benefits!!!
I found clear plastic boxes in various sizes at Walmart. They are about 1/3 what I was used to paying for them. When I buy actual fly boxes in the future I'll be getting these newer thin ones I've been seeing
I hear you about dangling things and will attempt to minimize that type of storage.
Hey the belt and staff holder make sense. Water bottle as well. I always carry 20oz of water and a pack of peanut butter ritz crackers in case I'm away to long.
You nailed it with the straps. I've had it Bothe ways, clips or sewn. Sewn is best in most cases. Ironically I don't own a net. My son is making me a beauty but it drags on..........I figure out how to hold on to it.
Now that I've gone through my gear and sorted it out I will attempt to carry stuff in a more targeted fashion, keeping it simple.

Thanks for your Blessing and for welcoming me into Old-Bag-Hood!

I'll post the results which are likely to be an evolving passage.

I wanted to re-visit packs to show you the pack I picked up online. It can be worn in front of in back. Piscifun also offers a smaller one and I had it delivered , tried it , and returned it. I thought it was too small. Like you folks said its a boiling down process. I see several smaller bags in the future but it was nice to be rid of the sling pack.

Attachments

• BG012-_1_7bb4f0c8-cd87-481b-8ed7-320b8f58e431_2048x2048.jpg
    BG012-_1_7bb4f0c8-cd87-481b-8ed7-320b8f58e431_2048x2048.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 5
I switched to a wast pack about 10 years ago I like the fishpond better than the simms. I wear it on my left hip and slide it around to get the equipment out. I don't use the neck strap. The net issue is the problem I have so I don't use one just an old army surplus wool glove i use wet to tail the fish.

Back