Fishpond switchback pack

hunter1

hunter1

I have a bug for a new pack. I presently use the Umpqua 1200 sling pack. Very nice but bulky, shoulder strap tires your arm after awhile. I'm thinking of getting the Fishpond switchback waist pack. Nice features, Do any of you use them or have tried them. Pros and cons. Thank you.

My quest as well......do I get a waist pack or a Vest?

If I was in the market I would be all about it. I prefer the waist pack to the sling, plus you can still add a small back pack or chest pack if you need more room. I bet you could also still carry your sling pack and not have it interfere.

Baron wrote:
My quest as well......do I get a waist pack or a Vest?
I gave up on the vest years ago, Had some good ones too, Simm. Sling is ok, but bulky. Thanks.

NO experience with the Fish Pond Switchback product, but two comments from someone who has been using a belt with pouches for close to 30 years.

#1 - Pouches that slide on the belt are convenient, but IF they slide easily, they have a tenancy to slide in front of you as you walk which is a pain on long hikes. Trust me you will want them behind you on long walks which is why my newest belt creation doesn't have sliding pouches. BTW - It is just as easy to slide the whole belt.

#2 - Will it hold everything you need where you want it and of not, can you buy extra pouches pouches for things like rain gear, a cook-kit, etc.

#3 - IF a pouch/belt system is truly a vest replacement, the success and adaptability of any pouch around your waist is how do you keep it from getting soaked if the need to wade deep arises.

The way to resolve that problem is to either take it off and sling it over your shoulder, (not really a solution) or slide it UP higher. How easily you can do that depends on how easily it is to adjust it to fit just below your chest. That is what I do with my homemade system.

Some things to think about...

Also, Fish Pond discontinues items FREQUENTLY. If you buy this thing and like it, buy two because if something on it fails, you won't be able to replace it. Also, see if you can buy an extra/spare pouch although in the past with other belt/pouch systems they offered you couldn't.

Good luck!!

Thanks Bamboozle. Some good advice. I'm going with the switchback, it's worth a shot.I have an older fishpond chest pack, I use it as a side pack for bass fishing. You just can't kill the thing. I'll let you all know how it works out. Tight lines.

I have an Umpqua waist pack that I THOUGHT I was going to really like. Well I never use the thing because to access what I want is always in the back of it. You have to spin it around your waist to get to anything you want. It does look like Fishpond made this waist pack more accessible that you do not need to do that. Then you have to use a strap that goes around your shoulder to keep the thing up on your waist. If you could keep it on your waist without using a shoulder strap it might be nice. I just couldn't get used to the strap and went back to my vest.

hunter1 wrote:
I have a bug for a new pack. I presently use the Umpqua 1200 sling pack. Very nice but bulky, shoulder strap tires your arm after awhile. I'm thinking of getting the Fishpond switchback waist pack. Nice features, Do any of you use them or have tried them. Pros and cons. Thank you.

I don't know about you Hunter1 but theses normally helpful members above have for the first time failed to convince me of any preference regarding this tool.

I believe this may be the most subjective topic other than waders, lol.
furthermore anything made by fishpond or Simms is way out of my reach.

I hope to hear more.

The reason this is so important to me is that I'm stuck in btwn. I FF and spinning fish. I Trout fish in creeks, Bass fish in Rivers and Panfish in lakes. I have been able to keep it all in one pack until now......but no more. I'll soon be forced to break it all up into groups that match. It may require me to have multiple vests or packs. Lots to consider.

I'll add another caveat to waist packs from eons of use:

BEWARE of packs that don't have enough room to store stuff so you end up attaching ton of crap to the outside of the bag like hemos, tippet spools, etc.

The one thing you never think about if you wear a vest or in many case a sling pack is line loops being tangled on junk hanging. It is usually not a problem with a vest however, with a waist pack it IS an issue.

Because your line hand always seems to be about your waist level, you WILL end up with line loop tangles if you have stuff dangling about your waist and often you won’t find out until you have a fish on. Even the pouch itself can be a source of tangles if it is sitting at your side and trust me; you WON’T always remember to slide the pouch out of the way when you are through getting something from it.

Often times the excitement of a rising fish makes you forget to do many things, for example, just the other night I forgot to zip close the pouch where I store my tippet dispenser. Fortunately, decades of using a waist pouch taught me years ago to attach everything inside I care about, to a zinger or lanyard because it really isn’t as convenient as you think to look down at your waist when searching for something, especially if you have something on your chest, instead you will do it by feel. That fumbling causes stuff to fall out or be pulled out, especially if you are using a single pouch to store everything.

All of the examples I offer is the reason I always tell people BEFORE you give up on a vest, sling pack or whatever to take the plunge to something else, lay out EVERYTHING in your current set-up, decide what you can’t live without and make an inventory list. Don’t forget the things you may not carry all time like raingear, bug dope, sunscreen, snacks or TP. Then measure the sizes of the stuff you’re keeping or downsize them and do a LOT of homework on your options, ESPECIALLY how much room you have available for storage.

Believe me, manufacturer’s dimensions mean NOTHING until you actually try to put all of your crap in a pouch.

Just this winter I created a new waist-belt pouch system to replace the one I had been using for over 20 years because the pouches finally wore out and I was too stupid to buy extras when I could. My new rig carries everything I need with nothing dangling, no exposed open pockets to lose stuff from, a minimum of Velcro that wears out and the system is modular so I can add a pouches if I want to carry raingear, a wading staff, a net or even a small cook kit to make coffee. In addition, this time around I went with stuff that is readily available and I bought spares!!

This may sound ridiculous but have been working on this idea for over a year and I spent more than 6 months researching options (ZERO from the fishing tackle industry), and started buying and returning things that looked good on paper, but didn’t cut it when I tried to put stuff in them.

The result, it is 100% PERFECT because I took the time to do my homework versus taking a plunge on something because it looks or sounds good on paper. Oh sure, you MAY get lucky if you are impulsive and find something that works, but my experience tells me you will find shortcomings you never expected because you didn’t think it through.

This may also sound dumb but if some item tackle issue causes me frustration, I use the slow times when fishing to work out solutions in my head to those problems. Fishing can be frustrating enough with tackle hassles!

As always YMMV…

Hey Bam,
how 'bout some photos. Or is your Patent Lawyer prohibiting that?
The biggest thing I came away with is to avoid the potential for tangles, a sorest, I'm constantly tangled in the boat and will work on that as years go by.
Helpful explanations, thanks.

Baron wrote:
The reason this is so important to me is that I'm stuck in btwn. I FF and spinning fish. I Trout fish in creeks, Bass fish in Rivers and Panfish in lakes. I have been able to keep it all in one pack until now......but no more. I'll soon be forced to break it all up into groups that match. It may require me to have multiple vests or packs. Lots to consider.
It definitely isn't the cheapest option but there is no better way to organize gear than by the type of fishing you plan to do.

It is indeed a luxury, but I have separate set-ups for everything which means you have to duplicate certain items you carry, but it pays huge dividends in the long run.

The biggest reason I do it is because I am a minimalist when I can get away with it and I don't see the sense carrying bass tackle when I am fishing for trout and vice versa. I also spin fish and use casting tackle and who needs 6" Senkos and 4/0 hooks with them when they are fly fishing? I also have a separate bag for boat fishing for warm water fish because I don't like wearing a pack or vest in a boat when I am sitting.

In your case, take my advice and start by laying everything out and making a list of what stuff you need for what type of fishing. Don't forget stuff like rain gear, sunscreen, bug dope; stuff that if you forget, it will ruin your trip.

Next, figure out what you need two or more of, things like nippers or pliers. DON'T expect that you will remember to take your hemos out of your "trout bag" and put them in your "bass bag" before you go bass fishing...

...because you won't. ;-)

After you do your gear inventory, start thinking about HOW you want to carry what and start your homework. Research & time pay HUGH dividends in any product selection and fishing tackle is no exception!

Good luck!

Bam, More good advice. I went with the switchback.I like the idea I can mount the bag on my left side , away from my right hand casting. I have a different setup for what I fish for. Trout. Panfish and bass, salt waterfish. I keep each I mostly use slingpacks, and lumbar packs for these fish. All have there own tools on them. I like grabing a bag and going for it.

Baron wrote:
Hey Bam,
how 'bout some photos. Or is your Patent Lawyer prohibiting that?
The biggest thing I came away with is to avoid the potential for tangles, a sorest, I'm constantly tangled in the boat and will work on that as years go by.
Helpful explanations, thanks.
No photos needed and no patents, at least none of my patents...;-)

I am using readily available MOLLE pouches attached to PALS webbing on a duty belt. This is the same gear & attachment system used by law enforcement, the military, shooters, hunters and soft air & paintball enthusiasts.

There are literally 1000's of pouch options out there in all sizes and configurations, hundreds of belt options (even vests) and you can find a pouch to carry anything, you just have to use your imagination, think it through and do your homework.

I never liked the idea of a single pouch for everything and I never liked the fly-fishing specific pouches/bags that have purpose made pockets/compartments/loops/hooks for specific items which force you to store things where they THINK you want you to, NOT where YOU want to. I also avoid elastic on any pouch like the plague because it ALWAYS loses its stretch and it's effectiveness to hold things over time. (Fly fishing specific pouches seem to be loaded with stretchy pockets).

So I am using three small identical MOLLE pouches (with NO elastic pockets) on the belt at all times with stuff stored where I want it depending on how often I need it. I also have other pouches for rain gear & stuff that I can add to the belt when needed so I only carry what I need, when I need it.

The biggest reason I went this route was my old belt (which I also made) had pouches that could slide around the belt. The sliding pouches while convenient, always seemed to slide around to the front of the belt when hiking which was annoying, something you have to experience to understand, just like the tangle issues.

The MOLLE/PALS system, secures the pouch to the place it is attached to so it DOESN'T move, BUT you can configure it like a simple belt loop so it slides IF you want. That plus a couple of other benefits with the belt I chose and the incredible flexibility with all of the pouch options made it perfect for me.

I wouldn't say overall it ends up cheaper than some fancy-schmancy fly fishing rig, but I didn't shop based on price. I based my buying decisions on what would solve the problems I had with my old belt, flexibility and comfort.

I will go on record as saying while my belt works fantastically for me, I only use this system when fly fishing for trout when I need a lot of fly choices because I DON'T carry fly boxes, I use a Richardson chest box. That doesn't meant I couldn't have a larger pouch for fly boxes, I just don't like using fly boxes for trout fishing except when I use my shoulder bag on small streams and in that I only have one fly box.

Also my preferences for gear carrying for warmwater fly & conventional fishing are completely different, I carry WAY less and I use fly boxes and carry lures for that kind of angling so I never even considered using my "trout belt" for those situations so it isn't one size fits all for sure.

Again, the reason why thinking things through is SO important.

Good luck with your search & problem solving!!

hunter1 wrote:
Bam, More good advice. I went with the switchback.I like the idea I can mount the bag on my left side , away from my right hand casting. I have a different setup for what I fish for. Trout. Panfish and bass, salt waterfish. I keep each I mostly use slingpacks, and lumbar packs for these fish. All have there own tools on them. I like grabing a bag and going for it.

I do the same thing. I literally have a large gear bag set up for every kind of fishing I do.

In the gear bag is the tackle carrying set-up I prefer (belt, chest pack, should bag, etc.), plus extra gear like tippet material, sunscreen and other stuff (AND a duplicate fishing license) so when I grab the bag, I am set and I can't forget anything at home. Since I only have a few rod & reel options for warmwater, I even keep my warmwater reels in the "warmwater bags" so when I head out for bass or panfish, I only need to grab a rod and a gear bag.

You really should contact Fish Pond about extra bags. Trust me, the Switchback will be discontinued in a few years and if you love it, you'll be sorry if you don't have extra bags. I know they didn't offer extra pouches with the fishing belt they had about 15 -20 years ago, but if they do sell them for the Switchback, think of the possibilities:

You could use the same belt with multiple pouches for the same type of fishing OR the same belt with different pouches for different types of fishing OR use an extra pouch for rain gear or other kit.

BTW - If the sliding pouch thing bothers you like it does me, I'm sure something as simple as a binder clip on the "rail" on long hikes would solve the problem.

Enjoy!!

Thanks for the encouragement. I’ll be separating everything soon.

Well in a perfect world that is all perfect, all of you.

Its not a perfect world. My trip is a week away. I have $20+/- to spend.

Do I buy a cheap waist pack or a cheap vest.

If you have a belly does the Waist pack become an issue?

On a waist pack where do you put the net?

Found this. Could I tolerations it for 4 days?

Attachments

• 81MhHIELwtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81MhHIELwtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 7
If it was me, rather than spend $20 for the sake of change on something you many not like, AND spend money in a hurry because you don't have time to really search, I would focus on making what I ALREADY have, work for the upcoming trip.

Save your money this time, think about the issues you have with you current set-up while you are on your trip and resume the search when you get back.

At least that's what I would do...

Sound thinking Bam!
Good Solution.
Thanks.

Back