Fishing youghiogheny in my kayak

J

johnnyboy281

I am planning a trip to the yough soon, and plan to flyfish between confluence and ohiopyle, mainly from my kayak. I have primarily flyfished in lakes, and have little experience in choosing flies for trout. I plan to go within the next few weeks, and my research thus far has recommended to bring along black caddis, blue quill, green drake, blue dunn, bwo, as well as streamers and large nymphs. Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Johnny,
Welcome to the PAFF forum. The Yough is a big brawling river but is floatable (don't try the section below Ohiopyle unless you're a serious whitewater dude) - however, if you're not used to rivers you might wish to try some easier rivers first. There are some guides who do Yough float trips: if you scroll down our forum index to Professional Reports, there's a gentleman named Youghriverguide who posts a lot of updates on the status of the river. I do a good bit of canoeing and kayaking but the Yough is a bit rough for my taste. Within a few weeks it should be more manageable but right now I'd imagine it's rolling. If it were me, I'd wait till summer.

Regarding flies, I'd have some large and heavy generic streamers along with midges, caddis, and generic terrestrials (ants, beetles, grasshoppers etc).

Check the USGS flows before you go. Remember even if the dam release is on the lower side- say less than 1000 cfs, water still can be quite high out of the Casselman and Laurel Hill.

I have done that trip in a kayak before. It is nearly impossible to fly fish out of a kayak. In my experience, it was better to get out and wade some the spots.

While that section of the river is more gentle it still has a couple runs that are sometimes dicey depending on flows.

I find the Yough pretty frustrating and had spend a pretty good amount of time there.

Tan Caddis 12-16 seemed to work for me. As well as your caddis larva nymphs. IMO- I dont think the fish are ultra selective- it was more a case of finding them and presenation.

It is an enormous peice of water and about as pretty of an area you'll find in western PA.

not sure what kind of kayak you have (assuming it's not whitewater) - but be aware that there are Class I/II (a couple can run around class III if the river's up) rapids on the middle yough... (ie. it's not just a flat river!)

I've run it in my perception acadia and didn't have too many issues - I did go over in I believe the last rapid though ~ and lost my wedding ring in the process!

good luck. I miss the Laurel Highlands ~ most beautiful part of PA imho.

I've only fished the yough in the summer, but I've gone kayaking there this time of year. The higher water will make for better boating, but may not be good for fishing while floating. The only advice I have is stay to the right on the splits and get out when you see elephant rock.

I agree that this is the most beautiful area in pa. Possibly one of the coolest towns I've been in too.

good luck with your trip... you will need to stop if you plan on fishing...

leave the green drakes at home... they are a month away AT LEAST, but may catch some fish. I remember last year 8's were hatching on both the yough and it's tribs.

Right now, I'd def. be throwing meat. Still a bit cold for the smallmouth, so you might actually keep them off your line for the chance at some nice trout.

I second further advice from YoughRiverGuide...

Be sure you know where the take out is at Ohiopyle!

If you miss it, you might end up going over the waterfall.

Back