Fishing vests

O

ov-1

I need a new vest. I can't find much variety near me so I may need to buy blind. The Fishpond stuff looks decent, anybody with experience?
I don't carry a ton of stuff, 1 or 2 fly boxes, some leader, tippet, and a few zipline tools. The main bulk I carry is usually 32oz of water.
I also wonder if these fanny pack(if that is the term) types really work? I end up in chest deep water frequently, don't they go under water?

If you don't carry much then there's no reason to go expensive in a vest unless you have money to burn. If you carry a lot of stuff the Orvis Original Tac-L-Pak is very hard to beat but you say you don't carry much so its way more then you need. That Orvis vest and their wadding boots are about the only Orvis products I would promote. I just saw they came out with studded rubber soled boots. I wish I would have waited for them to come out instead of getting the LL Bean ones.

Look for something they might call a "low profile chest pack"...I find them too small for all the crap I carry but it sounds like what would work for you...

I have the low profile chestpack.

If you make it to the Jam, I'm going to put it up for gear swap.

I too have a low profile chest pack.

Got it from Cabela's -- like $25. I use to use it, then I got a down's box, so I used it for brookies streams. Then I stopped using it for them and just carried a fly box and tippet in my pocket. So I used it for Winter fishing, but switched to the pocket in my waders to hold stuff. So now it just sits with my other fishing gear I don't use, or use often. I do like it though; has a few compartments and it quick comfortable. I'd like to use it more often. However, it's not for someone with a large belly--- just looks funny.

I have the $40 Cabelas chest pack with a mesh back for wading jacket and/or drink. I can hold a large Cabelas box in the front and several other little ones and misc. items in the main compartment. I like it so far and it doesn't stick out very much. My friend has one like Mkern was explaining and he likes it also.

I have a Fishpond Sagebrush Vest that I bought 3 years ago at Orchard View Angling and like it very much. It's light and comfortable in warm weather. Also it has just enough storage, but not too much to load it down with the stuff we all tend to carry. I also like the zip down fly bench. It's a handy place to store the flies you always tend to go to. Hope this helps, and have a great day.

Check out the William & Joseph. It is made to take pressure off your shoulder straps. The Confluence model has a drop down fly compartment that opens like a shelf, gives easy access to the flies without carrying fly boxes and if you drop one they hit the shelf not the stream. It really is a great pack and not as expensive as the Orvis ones. Not cheap either about $89 but definitely well worth it.

Fishpond has a really great low profile chest pack called the "shooting star". The only problem is the thing is like 90 bucks. However one night i searched on Ebay and found a guy who originally worked for fishpond and now makes knock-offs of all their packs and i mean they are EXACT replicas. I bought one of the shooting star for 23 bucks. I love the thing. I also own the fishpond Open Range vest. My girlfriend bought it for me for my birthday 3 years ago or so. I love it to.

I fish large streams and usually wade deep.
I always buy shortie vests for that reason.
Another thing I look for are zippered pockets.
I once lost a box of flies in the little juniata river when I was still new to fly fishing. I always keep my boxes zipped in now

ov-1 ,I use to be a vest man and found them lacking in some way or another along with hot and heavy. I use a small Orvis chest/fanny pack and can carry everything i need ,not want, for a days fishing and im cool and comfortable. I still have room for the must have equipment( hook removal tool). B.A.

Back