Fishing Under Fire?

greenghost

greenghost

These days I find myself in the strange position of being single and dating... in my 60's. I was on a first-time date this weekend. We talked casually and I told her I was an avid fly fisherman. Her pleasant attitude instantly changed. I started to get peppered with questions... "You know that really hurts a fish." Do they bleed a lot?" I don't see how you can enjoy causing pain to an animal." I tried to defend saying things like most fish are hook around the lips which are mostly cartilage. They are mostly released unharmed. Blah Blah Blah. I ended up calling it an early night. Never to see her again. Thankfully.

But it got me thinking. In my opinion, people are becoming less tolerant of fishing and hunting during these days of what I think are overly-politically-correct attitudes. How many of you guys, and gals, have experienced flak about fishing? How do you handle it?

I also just saw this piece in Outdoor Life that was perfectly timed after my experience.

You had me thinking about your question for a little. I have to say I have never had anyone give me a hard time about fishing. Most people do ask if I keep and eat them. My usual reply is no I just like to catch and release for the next angler. It usually stops there. There are few people that will start asking questions about flies and about the bugs on the water.

In my part of PA, anyone questioning outdoor activities such as hunting and fishing is basically non-existent.

Was this woman a vegetarian? Because, if she wasn't, that is all the argument that you need. I get it, fishing for fun is "cruel" and we hurt the fish and just turn them loose, and that is an argument I have heard regarding sport fishing. They say that sport fishing is cruel, but giant ships in the ocean hauling in nets of hake, whiting, pollack, etc is fine because "the world has gotta eat."

To me, having a life of fishing is far better and more important to my happiness than having a woman who will hassle me about it.

Maybe you could have explained the elegance of dropping a dry fly perfectly along a tight shoreline underneath an overhanging bush and watching that trout inhale the fly. Maybe you could explain that we anglers care more about those fish than anyone else possibly could and do more to conserve them.

I don't know, but find another woman, for sure.

I fear dating for my kids.
You basically need to sign a consent form like 50 shades of Gray just to give a kiss.

The chase is the best part. At least it used to be.

As far as I handle flak for fishing, I don't. My investment in that conversation would be a laugh, a chug of my drink, money on the table and a tip of the hat.

On the contrary people seem genuinely puzzled or flummoxed at the idea of releasing them. The foodie liberals I know want me to bring some home.

greenghost wrote:
But it got me thinking. In my opinion, people are becoming less tolerant of

EVERYTHING!

If she has any piercings or tattoos, you have your opening

Timely article...

https://www.outdoorlife.com/fishing/winkler-trout-uproar/?fbclid=IwAR170Ci-bhzm06pksgMcdQyd0nzgTX9Xa35KBWuHjuMqhhyaixrTfJ1AXIs

I've only had people ask me why I drive four hours plus to catch trout, then let them go? I show them a few pictures and they say how beautiful the fish are. Then they say, I see why you let them go. Winning! :)

jifigz wrote:
In my part of PA, anyone questioning outdoor activities such as hunting and fishing is basically non-existent.

Was this woman a vegetarian? Because, if she wasn't, that is all the argument that you need. I get it, fishing for fun is "cruel" and we hurt the fish and just turn them loose, and that is an argument I have heard regarding sport fishing. They say that sport fishing is cruel, but giant ships in the ocean hauling in nets of hake, whiting, pollack, etc is fine because "the world has gotta eat."

To me, having a life of fishing is far better and more important to my happiness than having a woman who will hassle me about it.

Maybe you could have explained the elegance of dropping a dry fly perfectly along a tight shoreline underneath an overhanging bush and watching that trout inhale the fly. Maybe you could explain that we anglers care more about those fish than anyone else possibly could and do more to conserve them.

I don't know, but find another woman, for sure.

She wasn't a vegetarian. But the idea of "sport fishing" blew a fuse in her precious little cerebrum. She just didn't get it or even wanted to try to understand. Like I said, I took her home and I will never see her again.

I do live close to Pittsburgh. I work in a liberal-sided business and I often get looks and attitudes from colleagues and friends-of-friends. It never really bothered me before, but it seems like I am seeing more and more of it. I was just curious if my unique circumstances of location and job type simply put in more situations for ambush. Apparently, it has.

Never have had anyone overtly give me flak about fishing but I really don't advertise my hobby at work or in mixed social settings. I'm sure being in NJ I'd get cross looks and grief from the "enlightened".

I have seen some minor anti-fishing stuff, but nothing compared to hunting. I do get frequent confused looks about throwing fish back.

Basically I think most people have some fond memories of a grandparent or parent taking them out to catch a few sunnies. Some good experiences go a long way to understanding. But as less kids fish maybe that wouldn't be the case anymore.

BTW, I dated on E Harmony for a few years and met my wife there. I never mentioned I was a fishermen in posts, but did when I met someone. Then I frequently heard what is it with you fishermen since the guy's photos are commonly holding a big dead fish. Just to let you know, women were cool with being a fisherman but holding a big dead fish does nothing for one's sex appeal. Keep the fish photos for your fishing sites.

JeffK wrote:
Just to let you know, women were cool with being a fisherman but holding a big dead fish does nothing for one's sex appeal. Keep the fish photos for your fishing sites.

Hahaha! Thanks for the tip.

So... I live on a vegan diet with the exception of harvesting a fish every couple years and occasionally eating venison harvested by my family. No dairy. No meat other than what we personally take, and limited quantities of that. I think about the ethics of fishing in relation to this a lot, especially because my dietary choices are in substantial ways motivated by problems with the way that we take animals for granted and with factory farming especially.

The best way I can articulate living with this seeming contradiction is that fly fishing is tremendously valuable [trigger warning: vague hippie content coming] for putting me in touch with and teaching me about the natural world. Whereas buying hunks of meat with a USDA stamp from the glowing fluorescent depression aisle alienates me from nature and any understanding of ecology, actually going out and learning about fish, waterways, bugs, animals, the woods, etc. makes me, I feel, a better, smarter, more careful person all around.

Could I do this without hooking fish? I guess... I could take up hookless fishing like those nerds that were trending awhile back or I could get into birding or something. That doesn't sound much fun, and I see no reason to do so. Given the big picture, the small amount of harm I inflict is not even nearly measurable in terms of the large amount of harm society does through nearly every aspect of how we feed, shelter, outfit, etc. ourselves. My guess is that many people who take fly fishing seriously are, on the whole, also invested in conservation, ecology, and just general mindfulness of nature in ways that result in a net positive impact on the environment compared to your average schmuck.

I wonder if your date does much to act on her passion for taking care of animals beyond lecturing people who fish (and, oh yeah, actually eating animals)?

They call that yin and yang. The circle of good and bad. Needed!

The purpose of the kill, is also the purpose life. Need to kill, catch, trap, subdue, take, harm, hunt, and most of all Want!

Life, death! Head on the wall, As told, Lion and Lamb will lay together!

Death will be no more! We all need this. In a bigger way than imagine, i do not know about you but i am sick of sorrow! I am a bloodletter, bleed for deeds!

Forgiveness is the bounty we deserve but never will see. Secret is deep inside, brutally beaten under. Killing, hurting, is common, let live , seldom seen

My take, you 60 old screw, think, you might have met your angel! The turn, is quick from a sinner to a winner! winner to sinner happens overnight.

Yes, beat the sheets, don't worry, she's gone I hear a . knock on my door, I might change a little!

The Lion, you, the Lamb, Her! Guess time is not right to lay alongside each other! Most will lose because the hold is nothing, not even love, though you insist!` Brother, love, is a handshake, everyday, a try, a new, a friendship! A meaning true!

Maxima12

Its funny I feel exactly the opposite about farming but I really liked the
sensitivity of your statement saying that you "live on a vegan diet". There are no such things as human vegans as the creator made us all omnivores, able to choose veggies, meat or both ( given there are no health compromises). I think the tug of values btwn conventional farming and Nature Boy, farming/gathering is a healthy thing. To go completely natural would never feed the world, to go completely factory would waste our resources. It seems we need both tugging back and forth to get it right.
Few people realize the risks farmers take on their own and the hours they put in to feed their families and the world. Furthermore in many areas farming is often the only link to family values, social ethics and religious struture.
If you sat down with a calculator and a planner and tallied the amount of food that the average person could produce, you'll need fuel, seed, Fert., water , much equipment and then the farmer may look more acceptable to you than before. It is just that their weak points that need help. Soil erosion, lack of crop rotation and Mis-use of pesticides all have contributed to the less than stellar reputation but great headways are being made in many of these areas including the mis-use of water resources.
Farmers don't take animals for granted at all. I've heard that for years. I grew up farming... Animals have very little concience, no love only pecking order, no soul except that which we personally assign them. We do take them for sustenance, continuance and for a living. Few folks I know would be willing to mis every parade, vacation, fishing and hunting vacations, mis Kids games, run a deficit budget their whole lives and die with injuries in every limb. Few I know would be willing to work the hours, 8 days a week, Walk knee deep in manure, deliver animals, repair equipment, Plow the snow for them, the church, the school and all their neighbors and still milk twice a day. They do these things with a skeleton crew their whole lives as well. It gets lonely, lots of forces working against them instead of with them.
We sure do agree about the benefits of fishing except I eat forty or fifty panfish a year. The connection with the wild is uncanny when in the middle of a stream or lake. What has happened to the Family Farm will begin happening to the fishing, hunting and camping world. Back to Nature folk will first find it sad then inhumane and these usually urban dwelling folk, well meaning as they might be, will begin with studies. Then come law suits that will cripple fishing and hunting agencies and put an end to these practices as we know them. Outdoorsmen and women will find it grim.
So when someone says something negative about our food supply I like to point out a few things. Maybe in time more of us will find ways to please all everyone in all things natural. I hate the word compromise. Perhaps progress works.
Wow, that was Maximum12ish.

hooker-of-men wrote:
So... I live on a vegan diet with the exception of harvesting a fish every couple years and occasionally eating venison harvested by my family. No dairy. No meat other than what we personally take, and limited quantities of that. I think about the ethics of fishing in relation to this a lot, especially because my dietary choices are in substantial ways motivated by problems with the way that we take animals for granted and with factory farming especially.

The best way I can articulate living with this seeming contradiction is that fly fishing is tremendously valuable [trigger warning: vague hippie content coming] for putting me in touch with and teaching me about the natural world. Whereas buying hunks of meat with a USDA stamp from the glowing fluorescent depression aisle alienates me from nature and any understanding of ecology, actually going out and learning about fish, waterways, bugs, animals, the woods, etc. makes me, I feel, a better, smarter, more careful person all around.

Could I do this without hooking fish? I guess... I could take up hookless fishing like those nerds that were trending awhile back or I could get into birding or something. That doesn't sound much fun, and I see no reason to do so. Given the big picture, the small amount of harm I inflict is not even nearly measurable in terms of the large amount of harm society does through nearly every aspect of how we feed, shelter, outfit, etc. ourselves. My guess is that many people who take fly fishing seriously are, on the whole, also invested in conservation, ecology, and just general mindfulness of nature in ways that result in a net positive impact on the environment compared to your average schmuck.

I wonder if your date does much to act on her passion for taking care of animals beyond lecturing people who fish (and, oh yeah, actually eating animals)?

God created the lions tigers and bears and they all eat meat. It is what they are born to do. It's nature at its raw center. If lions can eat
antelope, and eagles eat fish,: why can't we eat antelope or fish, of if one chooses chooses vegetables?

We are designed to eat a variety of foods. I don't pass judgment on vegetarians, vegans or other eating habits. Everyone has their reasons for eating the way they do.

I have a bigger problem with those folks that throw away freezers full of venison and fish every year.

Wasting life is a sin, utilizing it to nourish one's self is part of life. One animal dies so another lives.

BTW........ Yin /Yang IS NOT GOOD/ BAD.

We all need each other but we often don’t know it until something hits the fan. I wasn’t passing judgement. HOM’s post had no bite in it and was correct how he described his diet. He lives on a vegan diet is what he said and that is the correct perception; not “I’m a vegetarian”, incorrect.
The rest of this is being worked on as we speak at universities, ranches, farms, research plots and all over the country/world. Progress isn’t perfect as it takes detours from time to time.

Back