Fishing Trip

A

atticus

Looking for suggestions on fishing trips not too far from home (York) this spring/summer. Somewhere my wife would enjoy while I fish. For example, we stayed at Allenberry on the Yellow Breeches several years ago and that worked out great.

Stay at the DCNR lodge at Bald Eagle State Park and fish Bald Eagle Creek. Also, if you like classy hotels and your wife likes nice shops stay at Hotel Bethlehem on the historic main street and fish the Lehigh Valley limestoners. The Monocacy is right behind the hotel. It is Class A in that stretch, not a very good Class A. Fish density is not impressive. If you go in Spring, that stretch is also stocked with RT.

+1 on Mikes suggestion. Bethlehem is full of tons of shops and things to do and see. There are also a lot of famous streams within 20 mins of the Bethlehem area. My wifes family is from Whithall (close to Bethlehem/Allentown) and I always take the chance to go up there when she visits so I can get a little time on the water.

The Nature Inn is a hotel/ lodge at Bald Eagle State Park that looks over the lake. It is a beautiful setting. You could be fishing on Bald eagle creek, spring creek and fishing creek in a relatively short drive. Penns would also only be a 40min drive or so.

Not sure if 3 hours is further than you want to go but I'm sure your wife would love Nemacolin Woods. You get hit the yough and many other good fisheries in the area.

My wife really enjoys the town of Jim Thorpe, while I enjoy fishing a pretty nice stream called the Lehigh River
Also lots of nice hiking and biking in the area, that we both had some fun doing.

Another neat little town she really liked is Lititz.
It's a real "chick" destination for sure - lots of ladies stores.
I spent the afternoon on Lititz Run, downstream of town while she shopped.
Nothing special, but I did manage to catch a few stockies.
That evening, we had a real nice dinner at a brew pub there, that had live music

Reverse. go south, see my friend Harry Murray, Edinburg Va,

Remember Va. is for lovers. A nice way to, "Get back In". That meaning lucky in every way!

You were not specific as to length of travel you are willing to do. If you are at Allenberry the Letort is nearby. Big Spring is not too far and Falling Springs just a little further. Conewago is getting some big fish stocked and that's next to Gettysburg so that's an option. I live in York County too.

If, like me, you both like history and bass fishing you might consider Harper's Ferry WV. From York I'd guess it's under two hours and there are some cool B&Bs and some good wading or guided fishing on the Potomac. Angler's Inn and White's Fly Shop would be worth looking in to.

A bit further into WV there's Harmon's (click the log cabin image on the right). They are a long time sponsor of our site and many of our readers have had a very nice experience there.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Harmons is great for both of you.

I live in a town close to the Nature Inn and Bald Eagle State Park. Great place. I have stayed there a couple times. If you plan to stay there you will have to be flexible with your dates because they fill up fast. If you do plan on coming to central, PA I recommend late spring. Bald Eagle gets warm. This past year it was really not fishable after the middle of June. Here are some of Points of interest if you come to the "Real Central PA" Not Harrisburg area.
1. Town of Renovo - Old lumber and train yard town in Clinton County
2. Bellefonte - Historical Town - Nice restaurants
3. Lock Haven - Piper Aircraft Museum
4. State College - Penn State University - Arboretum at PSU
5. Sproul State Forrest - Plenty of brookie streams and trails to hike
6. Pine Creek Valley and Slate Run - Plenty of fishing, hiking, and biking

Just some ideas.

State College is a wonderful little town and pretty much ground zero for some of the best trout fishing in central PA. Book a hotel or a campground in the area and enjoy some little side excursions to places like Penns cave, the Penn State creamery, Brookmere winery, Lake Raystown, etc.

blitzinstripes wrote:
State College is a wonderful little town and pretty much ground zero for some of the best trout fishing in central PA. Book a hotel or a campground in the area and enjoy some little side excursions to places like Penns cave, the Penn State creamery, Brookmere winery, Lake Raystown, etc.

Ditto on the state college area.
My wife has spent some afternoons poking in antique stores in the Nittany Summit area and Bellefonte, while I fished spring creek

Bedford Springs is a great resort with nice amenities. You can fish the run immediately on site there and Yellow Creek is closeby.

Please don't forget the Cedar Run Inn. Beautiful Inn and great food.
Bring a bike and bike on the Rails to Trails right of way. Bring a canoe and canoe down Pine Creek. The town of Wellsboro with its beautiful streets and homes. There used to be horse rentals for a ride through the mountains. Good luck.

I’ll second Harpers Ferry if you like bass. We have a trip booked with Brian Kelly/White Fly Outfitters for June. Their drift rafts are great, guides know what they’re doing and are a lot of fun.

Steve

Back