Fishing, today, and temperature effects?

gaeronf

gaeronf

I was planning on going fishing later today. I looked at our thermometer and it read 27 degrees. I was planning on fishing the Big Flatbrook, but would it be too cold? I'm talking about the water, because I will just throw on a bunch of warm layers and I'll be good. But, I was just wondering if there would be enough "activity."

What matters most is water temp. On a day like today, with good sunshine, temps can rise enough in the afternoon to put the fish on the feed. I'd wait till this afternoon. When you get on the water, take the water temp. As a general rule, I don't fish streamers much when water temps are below about 42 degrees. If the temps are colder than this I'd recommend fishing deeper, slower pools with nymphs - or a streamer very slowly on the bottom.
It's worth giving it a try. Water levels are likely to be high. Be careful with your wading. A spill in the stream this time of year is something to be avoided.

If you have never fly fished at or near the freezing mark, you will re-learn something you already know: water freezes-- on your guides and fly line and leader and fly.

Ok. And already it's mid 40's here. I still have 2 or so hours left till we are leaving. Thanks guys for the help! Anything else you'd recommend?

As was stated, fish slow and deep, unless of course the fish are rising, in which case, you should give thanks to the stars above. Good luck. My first several years of FFing, I fished every weekend regardless of temperature. I learned a lot about how to cast a fly line with weight. Now, I don't try to get out below 45 degrees. Just gettin' old, I guess.

I've gone out almost every sunday for the past couple months and caught not a trout. I'm determined though!

Three suggestions:

1. Olive wooly bugger;
2. Black wooly bugger; and
3. White wooly bugger.

To repeat-- slow and deep. Not necessarily deep water, just on or near the bottom in whatever depth of water you're fishing.

I suggest haveing a towel and a change of clothes. If you have that stuff in the car you won't fall in. If not, you'll take a dunk for sure, it's Murphy’s Law. On a serious note, when temps are low hypothermia is a life and death matter. It’s better to be prepared and not need the stuff than to need it and not have it. Just pack a bag and leave it in the trunk for the winter. You'll be damn glad you did if you ever need it. Trust me ;)

Very good advice on an extra set of dry clothes in the car. Let us know what you found today.

Good advice from everyone. Especially "low and slow". I fished yesterday and the water was 36, the air was 26. I tried flipping a dry for the heck of it and it was quickly encased in ice. Deep, slower pool with a weighted nymph was the ticket. Good luck. We're all expecting a good report.

No nymph, egg, or worm got any action what-so-ever. Allthough, I put on a Slumpbuster and started swingin'. I swung it a couple feet past a really deep 5-6 ft hole. I then stripped it in, and gave it some slack. As the line went taught, I hooked into a fish. I proceeded to fight it a little longer, but it splashed at the surface and was gone. My 3 month slump continues, but there is hope!lol

So, are you saying you did not try a wooly bugger? Auch! The slumpbuster is not an adequate substitute under all circumstances.

Oh, sorry Jack. I did use a bugger. I just forgot to mention it. I typically had an egg or worm off the back. I used an olive and a black.

I was just kidding. Keep plugging away.

Back