Fishing the Youghiogheny River

McKeesport is at the mouth with the Mong. Only bass and some walleye fishing there. the 1st place where you may get into some trout upriver is West Newton. I grew up on the opposite bank of where McKeesport is, actually upriver about a mile. When I was young, the river was a polluted mess. The only fish that lived there were catfish and carp. We used to joke that some day they will clean it u enough to catch trout. then about early 70's we started to catch smallies, crappie and bluegill at mckeesport. Upriver they started to stock trout. Today the Yough is one of the best rivers in PA. If you want to catch some trout now, try Neshanock cr around Volant, Lawrence county. also the Slippery Rock at McConnells Mill State Park. Also in Somerset county Laurel Hill Cr., Westmoreland county Loyalhanna near Ligoner. The clarion is big water, with big trout, but not a lot of fish. The mallei fishing is good too.

http://fishandboat.com/county.htm

I fished the yough between connellsville and confluence at least twice a week all summer (up until archery and trapping season started) in the mornings and evenings. I actually caught more in the mornings than evenings. Late morning around 9am when the sun finally penetrated the deep valley was the best time for me. Fast water with buggers and nymphs was my game.

I grew up fishing the clarion. It is probably 1/4 as productive as the yough for trout and smallmouth.

Back