fishing the McMichael's

S

stankline

looking to head out to the McMicheals this week any idea's on location to park n fish. What r the water conditions n fly selection
Thanks guys

I think you can park at the Evergreen reserve on the Brodhead and walk up, that's what I was told last year but I didn't get a chance to fish it yet.

geebee wrote:
I think you can park at the Evergreen reserve on the Brodhead and walk up, that's what I was told last year but I didn't get a chance to fish it yet.

Are you thinking Paradise?

OP, unless you're talking about up in the headwaters, the main points of access around Stroudsburg are all areas that will probably be low and quite warm. Most everything up here is bath water right now. (Today is absolutely brutal and it feels like the hottest day of the year so far.) I don't know temps for sure because I don't even bother to try to fish it this time of year... even though I'm 5 minutes away. Make of that what you will.

Add to this the fact that we have rain in the forecast for the next 7 days. Should make for fishing in some warm chocolate milk.

I'd be interested to hear what you find though.

It is beyond me how anyone would think about fishing a marginally cool stream in the middle of a heat wave in a very hot and dry summer. Unless you are hungry. If you aren't hungry go fish The Delaware River in the water gap. You will kill any fish in McMichaels.

thanks for the input, was check to see how thing where up there.
things down here r still fishable n was just checking to see what other area where like to explore

Where are you located? You say "down here". If you are further south the streams there are even warmer. Unless you are fishing spring creeks or headwater streams.

Or maybe you are in Australia. It is winter there.

Easton, the Buskill still fishiable

There are some freestone streams in my region (Lancaster/York county) that are fish able right now. I personally temped them out at 65 degrees in the afternoon. I'm fishing bass right now because it's simply produces better results this time of year, however I could be ethically fishing them if I wanted to. Each stream is different and its best to carry a thermometer and have a plan B Or C if things don't work out.

The Bushkill in Easton is a spring influenced stream which gets the majority of the flow from a quarry discharge. Temperatures and water levels are likely more stable but it does bake in the daylight and I would expect temps over 70 degrees during the day at some point.

Bottom line, you don't have to rule out summer trout fishing, just be smart and have a good plan.

stankline wrote:
Easton, the Buskill still fishiable

The ONLY reason the Bushkill in the Easton area is still fishable is because it is a limestone spring-influenced creek (with the number & size of springs increasing as it approaches Easton) from the Tatamy area downstream to its mouth in Easton.

As for getting the bulk of its flow from a quarry discharge. Realistically the quarry is only pumping water back out from the underground aquifer (which supports the creek itself) that has infiltrated the quarry floor because of the quarry's own (destructive) action. There's a couple other interesting (and frustrating) relationships between the creek and the quarry too. The quarry's presence has basicay caused a significant portion of the creek, from near the quarry downstream to roughly Newline Mill Rd Bridge area to be significantly dependent (particularly in low flow periods) upon the quarry pumping enough of that infiltrated water back out of the quarry to have enough volume of water in the creek to get by some large creekbed sinkholes in Tatamy that swallow up volumes of water and can cause the creek to dry up quickly in this stretch whenever the pumps shut off. Now if the quarry wasn't there or if it was abandoned and allowed to fill and stabilize the aquifer this likely wouldn't be an issue or at most would be a more gradual drying of the bed during low flow (similar to summertime low flows on Fishing Creek downstream of Lamar). There is enough spring influence and volume beginning below Newlins Mill Bridge that actually helps put enough water into the creek to prevent this stretch thru Easton from drying up whenever the pumps shut off (its happened a # of times and there have been significant fish & aquatic insect kills because they get stranded by the rapid loss of flow.) That's it in a nutshell anyway.

Can anyone speak to how the DHALO section fishes in the fall? I was still doing really well there after June 15th, but I can't recall if there were many holdovers in previous years (or if I even fished it in fall). Seems like the section has some deep holes that might help?

It fishes very well in the fall. I also believe it gets a stocking from a private club.

Back