Fishing Sunglasses

WildTigerTrout wrote:
bdfish wrote:
I use cocoons w/ amber lenses over my prescription glasses. Not the "coolest" look but does to job.
X2
Update, I recently added an additional pair of Cocoons to my arsenal , this one has the gray lenses for those bright sunny days and I am considering adding a third pair with yellow lenses for low light conditions. That should cover all bases. :cool:

Just got a pair of smiths with the low light ignitor. Not impressed at all. I was looking for something better than the strike king low light lense. But in my opinion it was just the same. So I plan on sending them back and just buying another pair of the strike kings. Still looking for a better low light lenses, this is when I fish most. The search continues.

If anyone knows of anything better let me know.

I'll be texting you. Don't send them back yet. I'd like to see them.

Idrather,

Again, my low light pair is MJ's HT color (high transmission). Transmission numbers are mid-20's, nowhere near what some other low light lenses show. But frankly it only makes a difference in about a 5 minute window right at the end of dusk or beginning of dawn. They are plenty bright enough for any condition that could be legitimately called "daytime". And polarization is ineffective on ALL lenses when the sun is at very low angles anyway. Polarization cancels glare, not reflection. Glare occurs when light enters at a steep enough angle NOT to reflect.

Pat appreciate it and that makes sense. The glass lenses of smith I'm positive will outlast the 25 dollar pair but just doesn't seem worth it. I've worn the 25 dollar pair for a good 6 months and have no complaints. And before that Costa and native.

I have both the Smith Low Light Ignitor in the Tenet frame and the Strike King S11 Cloud Mirror (low light) in the Bristol frame. For what it's worth, I have used both a bit and both serve great purposes but the Smith's are just a great lens (not saying the SK's aren't). It could be almost dark and I would still be wearing the Smith's...in fact I have driven home in the dark wearing them and they just cut glare, not so much darkening the surroundings. I love mine. Just my opinion. Thanks!

Bass, I know what you mean with the smiths bc they are all but clear. There's very slight yellow tint. I was waiting to hear your response too because I knew you would have both. As far as the strike kings in my opinion they really brighten up everything. I've worn them until dark multiple times while friends are struggling too see. The bright yellow with a lot of sun would be too much for most, but I don't mind it.

I suppose I'll give them another go Saturday.

The brightening effect of yellow is largely perceived. It's about contrast. In low light contrast naturally decreases. Yellow adds contrast, hence making it seem "brighter".

But it's not really brighter. If you have amber, gray, and yellow lenses all with exactly the same light transmission, and keep them all on until you HAVE to take them off to be able to see anything, you will take them all off at the same time.

So, if "how low can you go" is the primary concern, it's all about light transmission. It's true that yellow lenses often have higher transmission, because they were designed for low light. Correlation, not causation. But theoretically the highest transmission you can get in a polarizer is a light gray. i.e. JUST the polarizer, nothing else. A polarizer, by definition, blocks 50% of the light of neutral color (gray). No contrast enhancement. Any tint on top of that is blocking light, even if it's yellow.

My take in a low light lens is that, on that May evening where you're staying out after dark, I don't really care if I gotta take it off at 8:50 vs. 8:55 as light fades fast, but I don't wanna have to take it off at 7:00, or in daytime on those cloudy drizzly days or under a thick hemlock canopy. And I'll take contrast enhancement in merely dim environs over an extra 5 minutes in truly dark ones. Make my low light lens a cool yellow, thank you. I like my MJ's, and would probably like others as well.

As such, I'd probably agree with Idrather in not preferring the Smith's, even though they are technically the lowest light lens of all and likely well polarized. Smith makes some good stuff. I just don't think those are for me.....

I liked the Smith glass low light ignitor so much I bought a backup. To me the tint is a very mild golden olive, not really yellow.

The more I read comments and reviews, the more it seems that certain eyes just don't get along with certain tints. Mine don't like Yellow and some of the coppers.

I got fatigue over time with many other sunglasses in the lower price, polycarbonate range. Not so with the Smith LLI. However, I have no experience with the Strike King item mentioned above.

The Smith LLI is NOT for night use. Doesn't work, and the reason is likely as pcray wrote above. Nor are they for bright conditions, and I carry another tint with 15 % VLT for that. Aside from fishing I like wearing them driving in evenings, rain and overcast conditions.

My doc said to wear sunglasses as much as possible since things are only going to get worse re cataracts. Out of an abundance of caution, I even wear the LLI's in front of the monitor/LED TV. They are a bit heavy but that's glass for you.

For me, if I was only able to have one pair of glasses they woul be smith tech lite polar chronic copper mirrors. STP has some great deals on them.

Back