Fishing streamers on small streams?

I like to start casting upstream or at least 45 degrees upstream and letting the streamer dead drift then swing through while I lead the streamer through the drift. Its easy to mix in some jigging to add action. The really is my favorite technique to use a gold cone head and black bugger when there is a higher stained water.

The other thing I like to do is cast up stream and quickly strip the streamer back. Sometimes it is easiest to get in the stream and work straight up stream. Move quickly and cover lots of water. Same approach as I was taught to use when fishing spinners. It works really well.

Other advise I was given when casting up stream and stripping back to you, you cannot strip too fast. If a fish wants your fly it will get it. Also if you have a fish following your streamer keep it moving. Prey fish down slow down when the big fish show up and they are dinner.

Learn from guys named Bubba.

Try this with a weighted streamer.

Hit undercut banks, rocks or boulders, logs or any type of cover along with the deeper darker cuts, seams or eddies.

A longer rod gives you the advantage of being able to cast and control your line and fly at a longer distance, making it less likely to spook the wariest of big fish, but a shorter rod will do.

I often call DaveW the bassmaster when we fish. He actually shows up on the stream in a vest with all the patches! :)

afishinado wrote:
I often call DaveW the bassmaster when we fish. He actually shows up on the stream in a vest with all the patches! :)

I resemble that remark. :cool:

And, yes, Bubba's methods might actually catch some trout. ;-)

Surprised no one mentioned the dangle. Fish it down stream and suspend it in the current, move it back and forth a bit and then strip it at varying speeds upstream.

Two old techniques used by smallie guys adapt to small stream streamer fishing. Both these require mending, so as long a rod as possible is suggested.

First is a modified dangle. Cast downstream to a nearby target and put an upstream mend in the line to let it dangle. Look for the next downstream lie (rock, log, seam etc) and reach it with a combination of mending and letting line out - don't cast again, reach it by mending and letting out line. Let it hold at that spot. Repeat until you cover all spots in your range. You can cover a lot of stream with a single cast this way. Work back upstream as well. A good way to cover a small stream with heavy cover. Good way to reach holes in weed beds as well.

Second is a way to fish an undercut bank directly across from you. Cast upstream and tight to the bank and throw a whopping upstream mend to get the streamer to sink to the right depth a few feet ahead of the lie. Then throw a whopping downstream mend, hopefully with the line along the bank or the seam. The downstream mend should pull the streamer downstream by the undercut and can get a savage strike. Longer rods help for the mending and getting all the slack line tight to set the hook. Need real sharp hooks.

Finally, I messed around with a 5' Lil Streamer rod and it is OK for specialized situations in tight cover. This style uses a level line (try to find one these days - cut back and old tapered line if you need to) to load the short rod without much line out. Good for punching tight to cover in tight spots. Problem is with a rod that short you must strip fast to keep the line straight in order to set the hook. Any slack at all will prevent one from setting the hook with a 5 ft rod. 5 ft rods can cast well - you just can't mend or manage any slack.

I use m 7.6 3 wt quite often on small creeks (under 18' across) but lately I have been using my 9' 4 wt. I do snag more trees and grass on the banks with the longer flyrod. Sometimes I will roll cast, but most of the time, I pay attention to where the trees and grass are and aim as to not catch them.

I used to use a st croix 7.5' 4wt. I primarily fish smaller buggers. I found that there were spots where a longer 9-foot rod allowed me to "hang" the bugger in some current and slowly pump the rod back and forth while the bugger hangs, falls and swims, it can be very effective.

I primarily fish downstream, drift, swing and "hang".

I also agree with the shorter leader.

Back