Fishing small wild trout runs

Don't be afraid to loose flies. Hit any and all good water you can. Upstream or down depends on the specific situation. Enjoy!

My local knowledge base set me up with a braided leader tied to tippet ring tied to tippet......turns over everything lays nicely on the water in my opinion

You should check out Joe Humphreys "Casting in Tight Brush" video...even my non FFing friend were entertained.

Stealth is a huge factor...this can mean crawling around to get into position. I've even used a knee pad so you can rest on a rock or something...otherwise your legs can get sore from squatting all day

A shorter rod would help, I have a 6' 2wt for these situations...its like a wet noodle but you can throw loops rigth off your hip. If you're stuck with a longer rod, you can always choke up...

kistler is an unusually tough small stream for casting, at least upstream of the road. also, with its swampy headwaters and flat terrain, it may not be the coolest in the current high heat for you or the fish. just get a shorter rod, seek out brookie streams in ravines.

Wow, talk about small stream 101. This is a must read for anyone looking to start fishing these size streams. Perhaps this could become a sticky or whatever they're called. :) Unless I missed it the only thing I would add is consider a good set of knee pads, they will save waders and knees.

Most of the time when I fish these small drainages for wild trout I just wear my Redwing work boots (no hip boots or waders). They are comfortable, offer good support to the feet on rough or steep terrain and practically force me to stay out of the water. Staying out of the water is always a good tactic when fishing small streams. Rock hopping across the stream at almost any location is usually not a problem. I always fish the side of the stream that keeps my shadow off of the water if sun is a factor. Never step on any log or debris that makes contact with the water. These are just a few tactics that I like to use to minimize the amount of fished spooked.

IMHO Kistler Run is too small to fish, however if you must fish it, sneek up on the locations you want to fish, you may have to crawl, but then drop the fly into the water without casting.
An AMD stream I fished last Thursday was too tight to cast, so I just pulled out some line and flipped the fly into the water or, dropped it in, one fish came out from under a big boulder and took my fly was 11 inches. All the other fish were small.

You should check out Joe Humphreys "Casting in Tight Brush" video

Good info on casting and approach in this video. Joe explains the bow and arrow cast very well, that alone makes it worth watching.

Agreed, along with several other types of good to know casts.

Really good stuff in this thread.

troutbert wrote:

There are many small streams that are not thick with brush, so the casting is much easier. Fish one of those streams instead, and you'll find it much more enjoyable.

Few times I've gone small stream fishing they have had thick brush. Where does one find these less "thick with brush" small streams?

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Where does one find these less "thick with brush" small streams?

Stag if you are free Saturday and can get up EARLY, PM me and I'll take you to one.

Fox ... gonna have to push that to the fall but would love to. All the fishing I can do (unless I get freed up Sat/Sun) for the next month+ will be midweek. This weekend is def out but if anything changes over the next month I'll PM u.

Stagger - Fox leaves so early, it actually IS mid-week. :cool:

What have you all found regarding success fishing in the mornings vs fishing from afternoons to dusk, on the small wild trout freestoners?

TB - I've had success both times but I prefer early because I'm generally assured not to be fishing behind someone.

H-A - you say that like it's a bad thing. :roll:

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Really good stuff in this thread.

troutbert wrote:

There are many small streams that are not thick with brush, so the casting is much easier. Fish one of those streams instead, and you'll find it much more enjoyable.

Few times I've gone small stream fishing they have had thick brush. Where does one find these less "thick with brush" small streams?

On state forests and gamelands and other public lands.

There is a whole range of brushiness, from being fairly easy to fish for someone experienced, to being very nearly impossible, even for the experienced, just choked with brush.

Kistler Run is extreme. It's an alder swamp stream, and it's a mess. If you just explore around on public lands, there is a huge mileage of streams that are far more open than Kistler. Just about all the freestoners you hear people talking about on here are less thick with brush than Kistler.

Go fishing with Foxgap, or anyone else in your area who makes the offer. They'll show you some streams that are possible to fish, and how to go about it.

HA wrote:

Stagger - Fox leaves so early, it actually IS mid-week.

Lol ... no shinola. Last weekend I thought I got up and got there early only to find him (and a few others) were there for a while. Are foxes nocturnal?

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Are foxes nocturnal?

No, but if they don't get enough beauty sleep, their fur falls off - sometimes on their tails, sometimes on their heads. :cool:

Attachments

• mangey fox.jpg
    mangey fox.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 4
What have you all found regarding success fishing in the mornings vs fishing from afternoons to dusk, on the small wild trout freestoners?

On more popular streams, I often get there early for the same reason as stated, to make sure you are 1st! Other streams you can pretty much expect that noone else is there.

But as for when the fishing is best, depends on time of year. Through May and June, the fishing doesn't really pick up till late morning. Convenient, too, as you can often sneak an outing on a larger stream in the morning, then go to the small waters for the daytime, then back to a large stream for the evening, hitting all of the above when they are at their best.

By July-August, anytime is good on a small stream.

Back