Fishing Rod tubes on Southwest

C

curtrein

Hey Guys:
Headin down to the Keys in a week and flying on Southwest. Do you think I can take a 4 ft Rod tube as a personal item? Chime in, thanks guys!

Don't know about southwest in particular ( don't know that it matters which airline it is) but a few years ago I believe it was 5ft/60in and 50 lbs limit.

I just got back from a trip to the Black Hills and flew Delta. I carried my rod tube on, but they actually made me check it once I got on.

Tell them it's a pipe bomb.

I travel a fair amount on southwest and have seen rod tubes and rod cases as carry-ons. I personally have only carried on a 4-piece case.

I think as long as its not pvc (see pipe bomb response), you'll probably be ok.

These questions always perplex me because I cannot understand why anyone would not feel most comfortable and well-informed by just calling the airline.

you'll get 10 different responses from 10 different people including the airlines and TSA.

A good method is to ship your rod tubes in advance to your destination.

Fedex Ground is reasonable, traceable and insurable.
US postal service priority mail works ok.
UPS would be my last choice.

Or go get Sportube or ski bag and check them with the airlines.

When I check them I use the double Sportube pictured below. It holds my waders, wading boots, multiple rod tubes, wading staff and more. You can lock it or use zip ties. Never had a problem with it.

f90416a4-f112-4ef2-9967-4d2726f19118.jpg

I carried my Winston 4 piece rods in a Simms wader/gear bag with SouthWest. No issues what so ever.

Ron

I flew with Southwest with a fly rod in a case that was 4 ft, 6 inches long, and they let me carry it on and put it in the overhead bin.

Whether that fit their stated rules, or whether they just gave me a break, I'm not sure. But there was no problem.

This was a case with the reel the attached. If they make you check it, take the reel off and carry that. Stuff some newspaper to fill the space in the reel pouch, so the rod doesn't slide in there, as that is less protected than the tube, then check it.

The PVC tube in the case is tough and should protect the rod in the storage bin. The chances of it breaking are very slim.

It is a gamble but I've put all of my gear in my checked bags the last 3 trips with no problems. I'm due for a lost luggage episode but I will play the odds and be confident that my luggage will arrive. Not sure if this will ever help but I make sure i have several tags on the bag with my contact info and I watch the employee place the tag on the bag to be sure it is the correct destination.

I just returned from a trip to Colorado and had no problems carrying on a 4 pc rod tube. Also, I fly SW frequently and I have seen people carrying on "tube" type luggage 4 ft w/o any issues. If they make you check it, have them put a "fragile" sticker on the tube. The one time I checked an item marked fragile, they wouldn't put it on the carousel and I have to pick it up in a different area.

Don

I'm guessing your on trip already but my cousin, a 25 year southwest flight attendant, just flew in and spent the weekend. she said 3" by 54".

The airlines list carry on regs. No problems in my experience in the US. I have a 4 piece case which fits overhead easily. GG

Last fall, the "nice" lady at Frontier charged me for an extra bag for the 3 tubes I had taped together. I carried them on in addition to a small backpack.

I always take a least one four piece rod when I visit my son in Idaho.
I usually visit once or twice a year. I almost always fly Southwest and I have never had a problem. Sometimes TSA makes me uncase the rod/rods for inspection but that's the biggest hassle I've ever had.

On another note; I was returning from Cape Cod where I was striper fishing with some friends and I had a foam cooler full of frozen striper fillets. The (really cute) girl at the Southwest counter (Providence, RI.) said that I could not check a foam cooler. I asked her what I should do, she said "just wait here." She went in the back and came out with a really sturdy waterproof, insulated box. She said "this happens all the time." She then proceeded to re pack all my fillets in the new box. Only one fillet was thawed when I got home so my wife and I had that one for dinner. Since then, I always try to fly Southwest.

Oh yea. I pack my waders, vest, and reels in my checked baggage. I've never had a problem.

Back