Fishing Pants - What do you like ?

Bruno

Bruno

I need new fishing pants - It has been awhile since I purchased any. So what do you like. Looking for quick dry to wear under waders and for wet wading.

****ies
Mainly because I wear them at work, and have a lot of them

But they are well suited for wearing under waders too
They’re thin. And dry fast if they get wet
And cheap
I take several pairs with me on extended fishing trips

Although they are a bit spendy i rather like the new Orvis pro underwader pant. Before those i used a more wallet friendly hodgeman fleece pant with the foot stirrups.

If I'm likely to get wet through, I have several pairs of these nylon/poly whatever zip-off's from Bass Pro. I've found them to be pretty durable: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/world-wide-sportsman-hybrid-ii-pants-for-men

Otherwise, just for general fishing use, I usually buy $12.00 Wal-Mart dress slacks or Docker-syle pants. "George" is the name brand for whatever that's worth. I buy 2-3 waist sizes bigger than my real pants size. Nice and breezy with big pockets.

I also second ****ies for both pants and shirts. I have a pile of the vented Columbia/Cabelas etc. billowy shirts, but my favorite shirts are soft, well broke-in ****ies long sleeve. I buy them a size up as well.

Cold weather ,I wear fleece sweat pants under my waders. warm weather I also go with ****ies, There the only pants I buy anymore. There colorfast, wear like iron. Can't beat them.

https://catalog.theflyshop.com/the-fly-shops-base-layer-underwear-set/

Under waders, I wear Colombia/Patagonia pants, with lightweight long underwear. The extra layer is much more comfortable.

I might catch some flack for admitting this but I have a pair of pants that are designed for yoga that have been perfect under waders. They are soft, a little warm but not too hot for warmer weather, poly so they wick sweat and dry quickly and have an elastic waistband so they don't bunch under my wading belt. They also have pockets and being black just look like normal pants when I'm off the water or on the couch.

Any pair of Supplex Nylon pants that I can find on sale or reasonably priced.

Currently, I happen to be using some Cabela's branded pants WITHOUT a zip-off lower leg that have a built in belt. In the past it was pants from Redington WITH a zip-off lower leg.

I don't use the zip-off leg so I don't care.

The only features I look for are a couple of regular pockets, a color other than aqua or yellow, a loose fit, no fancy fabrics, layers or BS and no inflated well-heeled fly-fisherman price.

One thing I will say, If you find a pair you like cheap, get two pair because they will be discontinued or redesigned in a year or two.

Columbia zip-off over a base layer.
Drake fleece lined wader pants with the velcro cuff for cold weather.

You're supposed to wear pants under your waders? :-o

I have numerous pairs of lightweight nylon type pants, columbia, northface, patagonia, etc. They all work well, I don't notice any difference between any of them. Some fit better than others, but once I'm fishing, I don't even think about them, which means they are doing the job just fine. I do like a pant that looks decent for the beer stop after fishing, but I guess that won't matter for a while now! If it's hot, I wear shorts under them, or just wet wade, either in shorts or nylon pants, just depends on where I'm fishing. Funny, I already wet waded this year on a brookie stream, felt great, and now it's snowing again!! Crazy!

The next time you are in Walmart, check out the lightweight nylon pants from Wrangler. They dry fast and wick moisture well. $20-$22

I'm doing pretty much the same thing as dano and biker.

Here's what I typically wear:

Colukbia Silver Ridge

There are several similar models they make, ironically some of the fishing specific versions are pretty useless IMO due to less pockets. Other brands have similar products also.

At any rate, these and the non-convertable versions are great under waders or as wet wading pants. They dry quickly which is required for wet wading, but is also nice if you sweat or your waders leak. I wear these even in cooler weather with appropriate long underwear and wool socks. I've gotten surprisingly good durability out of them as wet wading pants despite them being fairly light.

"The next time you are in Walmart, check out the lightweight nylon pants from Wrangler. They dry fast and wick moisture well. $20-$22"

i have a few pairs of these from an outlet for less $$ but they are comfortable. Fleece wader pants with stirrup in winter/cold. Shorts when warm.

I'm very anti-cotton when in outdoors sports. Nylon or poly or wool, cotton won't touch my body.

Usually in warm weather under waders a pair of light poly hiking pants. If cold, make it poly fleece. If REALLY cold, some poly long undies and then thick poly fleece. Wool socks. And those button down fishing shirts from columbia, under armour, simms, etc have become a uniform for work and play. Just make sure its poly or nylon, nnot a cotton blend!

I'll plug Prana Strech Zions.

Back