Fishing on "little" Kettle Creek

Wildbrowntrout

Wildbrowntrout

Hello world! I was wondering if anyone has heard of Kettle Creek just north of Hunter's Lake in Eagles Mere PA on state game land just outside private property? It is home to many native brookies, browns and some rainbows. I grew up in the private property and was wondering if it was known by anyone.

Yes, I fished it once and it wasn't very good. The habitat wasn't good and there weren't many trout present. There are many better streams in the area.

I fished that Kettle Creek way back in 2003. I fished from the lower end at Ogdonia on up through the Kettle Creek Natural Area/Wyoming State Forest. It was decent fishing, but I remember it being a bit low, as it was summer time. Haven't been back since, so I don't know how the fishing would be these days.

I have heard of people hiking in there on the Loyalsock Trail to camp and fish, provided that I am thinking of the same stream. I surveyed Ogdonia Run in 1980 . It had a nice population of browns in the public stretch. If kettle has decent habitat and flow! it will have good fishing.

The only fish I caught in a small pool were about 3", but some people have seen 1'-2' long fish just below a big waterfall, i think i might tr there this spring.

Mike wrote:
I have heard of people hiking in there on the Loyalsock Trail to camp and fish, provided that I am thinking of the same stream.

Nobody fishes those backcountry streams. I read this on paflyfish.com so it must be true. :)

A buddy and I fished in there in mid-May 2011. Where the Loyalsock Trail met the creek, there was a huge fire ring, and a big empty potato chip bag. Fish and chips? I thought hikers were supposed to eat granola.

troutbert wrote:
Mike wrote:
I have heard of people hiking in there on the Loyalsock Trail to camp and fish, provided that I am thinking of the same stream.

Nobody fishes those backcountry streams. I read this on paflyfish.com so it must be true. :)

A buddy and I fished in there in mid-May 2011. Where the Loyalsock Trail met the creek, there was a huge fire ring, and a big empty potato chip bag. Fish and chips? I thought hikers were supposed to eat granola.

You mean at the spot in the natural area where camping is prohibited? :)

I don't think I realized it at the time but my sole outing to this area was probably the pivot point in my conversion from stocked to wild trout snob; probably the first time that I cracked double digit wild fish with ease. More memorable than the fishing was planning to camp at Kettle Creek vista but having two rattlers and six garter snakes change our minds, during our mid-afternoon nap. We didn't leave the chip bag but did move our overnight camp to that area.

salmonoid wrote:

You mean at the spot in the natural area where camping is prohibited? :)

I guess some people just don't like camping in UN-natural areas.

Well there still is some good fish left in there! I caught this on in a deep pool just below a waterfall. Oh and sorry about the 2012 date if it shows up i had to reset my camera.
paul-brown-trout-14inch.jpg

nice fish!

what did you catch it on?

Im not too sure... It was tied by a friend of my dad. He has been fly fishing for 50 years so I thought why not he must know what he is doing.

Nice looking fish.

Very nice Brown.

Troutbert,
Very low use does not necessarily mean no use, although it may on some streams. Likewise, high use at a singular and popular access point may convert to low use per stream mile when the entire stream is considered.

Back