fishing license help needed

Steeltrap

Steeltrap

I purchased my 2020 Pa fishing license and read, what I thought was a donation....when I also purchased the "Voluntary Wild Trout stream enhancement" (I think that's it).

So, in addition to my annual license, my trout\salmon\Lake Erie stamp, I got a "License looking" document to sign for the "Voluntary Wild Trout" thing.

What I don't understand is....did I buy two license? I ask because the "Voluntary" one states I must sign it. OTOH, I thought I read that the Voluntary one was not an actual fishing license.

Any help is appreciated. All I wanted to do was direct a tiny amount of money to habitat improvement.

Steeltrap wrote:
I purchased my 2020 Pa fishing license and read, what I thought was a donation....when I also purchased the "Voluntary Wild Trout stream enhancement" (I think that's it).

So, in addition to my annual license, my trout\salmon\Lake Erie stamp, I got a "License looking" document to sign for the "Voluntary Wild Trout" thing.

What I don't understand is....did I buy two license? I ask because the "Voluntary" one states I must sign it. OTOH, I thought I read that the Voluntary one was not an actual fishing license.

Any help is appreciated. All I wanted to do was direct a tiny amount of money to habitat improvement.

The voluntary license is not required, it's a donation to the fish commission to spend on wild trout projects. You should sign and carry the other license when you fish. Good luck.

The voluntary license is not required, it's a donation to the fish commission to spend on wild trout projects. You should sign and carry the other license when you fish. Good luck.

Thanks. You would think the PFBC would make it quite clear......but it is a Gov't agency. :-D

I understand your frustration and confusion. I bought mine online and it took a long time to get the badge.

Well....with the new law that doesn't require license display....but the license state "must be displayed" and the Summary of Laws states it must be displayed.....where's the confusion?? HA!!

I'm going to go with the complete guess that the template for this year's license was created and approved prior to the law hitting the books and changing it now could take an act of god or some legislative committee, whichever is slower...

Perhaps next years license will leave out the confusing phrase.

Since the OP was inquiring as to the why of the signature line on a voluntary permit, I think because the PALS system is too prehistoric!!

Bottom line, it is beyond stupid to use the same system template for printing/creating a Voluntary Permit as is used for the regular fishing license.

The Permits should have NO signature line, which makes it seem like it is required for "validation" or mention of display because once they get your money, the deed is done and displaying it is just for bragging rights.

To be honest, the permits shouldn't even be tied to the regular license/permit purchase system which requires a SS, CID or Driver’s License verification, residency verification, DOB , address, physical characteristics and a bunch of other crap which isn’t required for a Voluntary Permit nor should it.

In addition, it makes it difficult for a someone who may wish to make a donation but doesn’t have a license or is in the system to make a donation without going through the 3rd degree.

A simple option in a POP or PALS system that accepts your payment, and spits out a receipt with the dates should suffice and end a LOT of this confusion.

You didn't buy 2 licenses, you donated the Wild Trout thing to help wild trout programs. Thanks! It's also not a permit as I understand it.

I'm with you on "prehistoric" with PAL'S. I don't get why the license states "Must be displayed on outer garment"

How tough would it be to change this in the PDF file?

I bought one too. I was hoping for a nifty little pin I could wear on the stream to impress fellow anglers and to inspire them to also participate.

larkmark wrote:
I bought one too. I was hoping for a nifty little pin I could wear on the stream to impress fellow anglers and to inspire them to also participate.

And this is what they should do. There is no need to display the voluntary permit under the law, but should you run afoul of the law, you might wish you had it displayed with your signature.

Kinda like the FOP decals for the back of your car....

JackM wrote:
larkmark wrote:

And this is what they should do. There is no need to display the voluntary permit under the law, but should you run afoul of the law, you might wish you had it displayed with your signature.

Kinda like the FOP decals for the back of your car....
But if the "Voluntary Permit" has no implied benefits or privileges based on the fact that is nothing but a donation to a cause...

...what law could you run run afoul of, that a signature on what is essentially nothing more than a receipt for a donation (AKA, a worthless piece of paper) actually provide?

I would think your driver's license and actual fishing license would be more important to have at the ready...

Back