Fishing Journal

Since he was the man who brought me, my boys, and many others into flyfishing, we bought a paper journal for my father-in-law several years ago (just before he qualified for a lifetime PA fishing license). Since he's forgotten more than most people know about the subject, he isn't very exacting in his details about water/weather/hatch conditions, but the info is enough for a cold reader to know what's going on. The details are reserved more for who he fishes with (and how they did), who he meets along the way (and how they did), how many eagles and other wildlife he sees, trees and rocks that weren't there last time, and other anecdotal stuff. We'll need to make copies for distribution when he stops fishing - to avoid the scramble for possession.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who writes about trees and rocks along the stream... :)

If anyone knows of good fishing journals that old timers have kept over many years, I'd love to read them.

Hello all,
This year I decided I would track my outings and results with a fishing journal to compare days and start seeing what works or doesn’t on different days. I bought one off Amazon that covers a good bit of stats for the trip.

I was just curious if and how everyone tracks their outings for the year. I will attach some photos of the journal I use in case anyone is interested. Thanks all and good luck.
Long before home computers came into play I kept a log of my fishing adventures. Then on to the computer as time went on. Mid to late 70s until mid 80s. I got to the point where I just didn't have the need or desire to keep record of catches and numbers of fish caught. For me it's not a science project. It's just fishing and I was turning it into a data task rather than just going out fishing. I get where the data keepers are in their journey and the path they are on. To each their own. I used to post on here about the trips to camp and where all I would fish and what I caught. It's rare that I even do that any more. I guess maybe it's just me being selfish but, now I just fish.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who writes about trees and rocks along the stream... :)

If anyone knows of good fishing journals that old timers have kept over many years, I'd love to read them.
I'm sure you've read it, but the book The Vanishing Trout is a good example of what you're describing. It's one of my favorites, that I re-read each season to help deal with cabin fever. ;)

I'm sure you've read it, but the book The Vanishing Trout is a good example of what you're describing. It's one of my favorites, that I re-read each season to help deal with cabin fever. ;)
"The Vanishing Trout"... I looked it up and find it to be a "local" Central PA book. Is Charles Lose a local author as well? Honestly, I saw the title and immediately thought it was a caption for a photo mentioned in a story by Patrick McManus.

Charles Lose was a local angler. I believe he was from Muncy. However I’m not positive because my book is out on loan and this reminds me to get it back!🤔
It is a great read for anyone who enjoys trout fishing and wonders what it was like back in the days of old. Especially is you like spinning minnows 🤷‍♂️

I have kept a hand written journal since 1997 I am 62 years old.

Steve98

Charles Lose was a local angler. I believe he was from Muncy. However I’m not positive because my book is out on loan and this reminds me to get it back!🤔
It is a great read for anyone who enjoys trout fishing and wonders what it was like back in the days of old. Especially is you like spinning minnows 🤷‍♂️

I THINK Charles Lose was from Holidaysburg...

Another good read about the old days in PA is "The Determined Angler and the Brook Trout," by Charles Barker Bradford published 31 years prior to "The Vanishing Trout." My copy was given to me by an old pal from Brooklyn many moons ago. :)

As a kid I chased down many of the Pocono streams mentioned in that book to at least try and experience what the streams may have looked like like at the turn of the last century. It was a lot of fun and a great adventure.

That's what makes the old books fun...

I THINK Charles Lose was from Holidaysburg...

Another good read about the old days in PA is "The Determined Angler and the Brook Trout," by Charles Barker Bradford published 31 years prior to "The Vanishing Trout." My copy was given to me by an old pal from Brooklyn many moons ago. :)

As a kid I chased down many of the Pocono streams mentioned in that book to at least try and experience what the streams may have looked like like at the turn of the last century. It was a lot of fun and a great adventure.

That's what makes the old books fun...
I really enjoy those old books! I ordered a copy of the one you recommended. It should hold me over until I get my Charles Lose book back. Thanks for the recommendation 👍

I really enjoy those old books! I ordered a copy of the one you recommended. It should hold me over until I get my Charles Lose book back. Thanks for the recommendation 👍
Get it back. The Vanishing Trout books are getting hard to find, and expensive. Even the 1990s reprints are pricey.

Charles Lose was from the Williamsport area. The book deals primarily with Loyalsock Creek, but also mentions some other area streams. It's my favorite book on trout fishing.

Get it back. The Vanishing Trout books are getting hard to find, and expensive. Even the 1990s reprints are pricey.

Charles Lose was from the Williamsport area. The book deals primarily with Loyalsock Creek, but also mentions some other area streams. It's my favorite book on trout fishing.
Thanks for clarifying where he was from. One of the many reasons I enjoy the Vanishing Trout book by Lose is because I have a camp in that area (Loyalsock creek) and can relate to some of the streams and areas he mentions. He was quite the character.

Last edited:

My favorite as well. It takes one back to much simpler times. I have the 1993 reprint edition.

Thanks for clarifying where he was from. One of the many reasons I enjoy the Vanishing Trout book by Lose is because I have a camp in that area (Loyalsock creek) and can relate to some of the streams and areas he mentions. He was quite the character.
I fly fished the Loyalsock and absolutely adored it. I was even surprised by how well I did. This was the first week and first weekend of Aug of 2019. Going out in the mornings when the air was still cool was an exhilarating experience. I faired quite well for not knowing what to expect. Think I bagged mostly rainbows (at least 10 fish were rainbows), but had a few browns, one of which was taken on a Brassie, a pattern I had never caught a trout on before. It was a neat experience. My dad would wake up early with me and he would drop me off at various locations around the creek and then come pick me up at a set time. The other campers were not as into fishing as I am and just slept in. I did have one of the younger campers witness me get a bow on a foam body caddis right at dusk to the point where I could not even see the dry but had to pretend I knew what I was doing to keep the act up. I hoped having the kid witness that would solidify a passion for fly fishing in him (he came to the creek with a spin rod). It was an odd trip too. I remember one day the creek was on the rise and I took my 8wt salt rod out and tossed buggers on 300gr full sink line (way overkill for that creek). I did get some hits on the buggers though. The strangest aspect of the whole trip was that I was able to fish where people were swimming and still get fish.

My family used to go to World's End way back and I remember swimming and looking at fish with goggles. It's a great creek to swim in.

Unfortunately there were also some arguments during the trip that are partially to blame for why my immediate family does not keep in contact with me.

Memories fade with time, trust me. ;)
Just a fact of getting older, sadly! :(

I try to take as many pictures as I can on fishing trips and file them off by trip, date, year, etc. I seem to be able to jog quite a few memories off the pictures I take, although they don't spell out every detail (water temp, hatches, etc.).

Back