Fishing in the rain??

PASKIINGSUCKS

PASKIINGSUCKS

With todays lovely weather I have been inspired to ask the community what they feel about this.

I've never really flyfished in the rain but I've had some crazy high action days bait and spin fishing. Wondering how you all feel about hitting the water, how the fish act, and WHAT ARE THEY BITIN ON?? in this type of weather and murky water conditions.

I'm asking cause, well obviously I wanna fish, and I got into some good ear chewin with a FF buddy this weekend and he ended up giving me a bunch of flies he tied himself. Included were three scuplin flies he says he has success with, any chance these things might do the trick today as long as the water isn't chocolate milk brown yet???

I have fished in the rain, in thunderstorms, with high water and muddy water. The rain or storm may nor effect anything, not will high water, other than effecting your presentation. As always, I would observe the water. Trout will and do rise during murky water. Fast and high may suppress them as they cannot comfortably withstand the current. On these occasions, nymphs or streamers in slower water areas or in current breaks will work.

The sculpins would be a very good move imo. Frankly any streamer. If the water is still clear then pheasant tail or other mayfly nymphs.

Thanks guys. Cuttin outta work early as we're dead slow and headed to hit my local. I'll report back tomorrow with water dropped and flatlight go pro "photos".

Hi, I fish in the rain with decent results, but a word of caution: If you hear Thunder coming toward you, get out of the water, and if you're going to wait it out, sit away from that graphite lightening rod you're carrying!
Coughlin

Fishin in rain > fishin in intense heat

///Intense storms not included and what Coughlin said

Streams are in valleys. Lightening strikes tall structures on mountaintops. Count the seconds between flash and thunder and when it gets short, go sit down under the canopy of a tree at least 20 feet distant. Snug up your raincoat, set the rod aginst the distant tree, tilt your head down. And wait it out. You drove an hour or more to get there, don't waste it.

Lightning strikes in valleys too. And the seconds between flash and thunder tells you how far away the LAST strike was, not the next one. Just sayin.

I've seen fish go nuts as soon as it starts raining before. Not always, of course, but it can be magic.

JackM wrote:
Streams are in valleys. Lightening strikes tall structures on mountaintops. Count the seconds between flash and thunder and when it gets short, go sit down under the canopy of a tree at least 20 feet distant. Snug up your raincoat, set the rod aginst the distant tree, tilt your head down. And wait it out. You drove an hour or more to get there, don't waste it.

This is the epitome of bad advice

I have never been struck by lightening, but I have fished many thunderstorms.

Stuck Outside
There are no safe places outside in a lightning storm. But, there are quite a few things you can do to minimize your risk if you absolutely can not get to safety in time:

Do not seek rain shelter under an isolated tree or two. You may stay dry but your chances of being struck by lightning go way up. Instead, get under a canopy of many trees.
Hiding under a picnic tent, pavilion, or other open or temporary structures attracts lightning.
Stay clear of tall, isolated objects such as power poles, antennaes, flagpoles.
Stay away from metal objects. It's better to be in a raincoat under some trees well away from your backpack, tent poles, and cooking gear. Check out this photo by Ruth Lyon-Bateman from www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov of cows killed by lightning striking the barbed wire fence they were huddled against.

As a last resort if you are somehow caught in the open and lightning is present, current wisdom recommends holding a crouch position as well as you can until the storm has passed.
Have each person at least 50 feet apart to minimize group injuries
Remove jewelry, watches, belt buckles, other metal items that may cause severe burns if you are struck
Stand on a plastic sheet, sleeping pad, or such thing that will isolate you from the wet ground to minimize your conductivity
Squat down, sitting on the heels of your feet with the balls and toes of your feet touching the ground to lower your height
Keep your feet as close together as possible to minimize your footprint - strikes close to you will send out tendrils of electricity so the more ground contact you have, the greater your risk
Tuck your head down to your knees to minimize chance of a strike on the head and give lightning that does hit you a path down your back to ground - your chances of survival are greater
cover your ears to protect against hearing damage from close strikes
close your eyes to minimize blindness from close strikes
Try to hold this position for the hour that the storm takes to pass through - good luck!
Wouldn't it be much better to get to a sheltered location before the storm catches you?
While golfing or at a sporting event:
toss your clubs, bats, or other gear aside and get far away from them
get away from your golf cart, do not sit in it while the rain passes
get away from all metal objects and tall objects - goal posts, score boards, fences, bleachers, light poles, flag poles, baseball bats, ...
While boating:
If the boat has no cabin, get off the water as soon as skies become threatening
Go below deck in a boat with a cabin
Avoid all metal fixtures and objects
Put away your fishing pole
Stay out of the water
Do not use the radio or other electronics

Link to source: http://www.emergencydude.com/storm.shtml

...if your line gets snagged while a storm is approaching, avoid cursing at all costs.

McSneek wrote:
JackM wrote:

This is the epitome of bad advice

It isn't bad advice, just not paranoid advice. I suppose I should say that in the most severe situations, follow afish's guidance. Otherwise, follow mine and you'll be back to fishing in no time.

Jesus, youd think I posted asking how to safely fish in a lightning storm haha. I understand it's risky in a storm, I meant in light rain or after a major storm.

Was more looking for flies to use and tactics for high or muddy water.

Didn't get out with the sculpin yesterday, well I did but it was in a farm pond and it did snag me a little 12" largemouth.

Life got in the way and I found myself helping a friend move rather than fishing. Going back down today though to hit the creek.

Great, you mean you didn't fish in the rain afterall.

Love fishing in the rain - I've had some of my best results while the water is coming up a little bit over the course of a long steady rain. Chuck wooly buggers as close to the bank as you can, strip, and watch what happens!

Had one of most memorable days afield fishing was in a real toad strangler on Pine Creek below Blackwell. Suspect it was putting down about 1/2" per hour. I was swinging a brace of Marrch Brown wets and the trout were on the feed. I normally would not fish in that kind of downpour, but since I drove four hours to get there, I was not going to let the weather stop me.

Some of my best days have been in the rain. Fished all day Tuesday. It rained from 10:30-3:30. The water came up a bit and was very slightly off color. 30 minutes after the rain stopped, it was amazing. If it's possible to have blanket hatches of the following bugs...we did. drakes, march browns, grey fox, sulphurs from #14-20, tiny olives by the billions, golden stones and iso's. When the weather looks sh#tty, I'm heading to the water of I get the chance.

I agree that some of my best days been in the rain. Only thing I will not stay on the creek in a thunderstorm like I did onetime before on Penns Creek. It was pretty scary with a graphite rod in your hand.

krayfish wrote:
Some of my best days have been in the rain. Fished all day Tuesday. It rained from 10:30-3:30. The water came up a bit and was very slightly off color. 30 minutes after the rain stopped, it was amazing. If it's possible to have blanket hatches of the following bugs...we did. drakes, march browns, grey fox, sulphurs from #14-20, tiny olives by the billions, golden stones and iso's. When the weather looks sh#tty, I'm heading to the water of I get the chance.

When there are like half a dozen things hatching, how do you decide what to try? Observation? Process of elimination?

Back