Fishing hats

L

Lkyboots

Nothing better than a old fishing hat. I got a couple probally older than a few of you.lol let's see em

I have had the same fishing hat for 20+ years. Bought it in the late 90s. It looks like it was ran through a wood-chipper, but I refuse to give it up.

I usually where a hat, preferable a retro trucker hat, only once, maybe twice if particularly on fleek, and then I toss them. They usually feature the name of one of my sponsors featured prominently enough to be caught on remote drone footage.

Nymph-wristed wrote:
I usually where a hat, preferable a retro trucker hat, only once, maybe twice if particularly on fleek, and then I toss them. They usually feature the name of one of my sponsors featured prominently enough to be caught on remote drone footage.

Me too. But I autograph mine and then donate them to worthy causes as fundraisers.

I have had a few of my fishing hats auctioned off for over 40 million. My sponsors are Walmart, goodwill and KFC.

Seriously though, I wear a cheap plain black hat that cost about 5 dollars. I bought it off of some hunchbacked fellow at the Clearfield county fair. I fastened a foam patch to it as a fly holder.

About the only times I wear a hat is the half of the year that is cold and a beanie is a must for me. Warm weather I don't usually wear anything. I have an obnoxiously big straw hat that I should start wearing though.

Speaking of hats....I only have one left withthe PAFlyfish logo. The Jams coming up, is there interest in having some for the Jamboree? I can get some made. preferences in styles? There is a post int he site and forum comments that shows what we usually get.

I will be 60 in July and in need of a new pair of glasses since I have declining eyesight, which is a fact of life as we age.

I really need the flip focal lenses that attach to a ball cap bill to change flies.

I am fortunate at my age to still have a full head of gray hair so I more than often sport my Carolina visor since I am so proud of my daughter who is a Junior at that great university.

I do have the ball cap that Maurice mentioned and just put it on. I will wear it for the breakfast at the Neptune Diner prior to the Lancaster fly fishing show. I have yet to wear it while fishing because I want fellow anglers along the stream to ask me about my other ball caps which are the University of North Carolina, West Virginia University, and my newest which is the Taylor Creek Fly Shop in Aspen and Basalt, Colorado.

I was on a cruise and needed a hat. I went shopping on ship and tried a few on. My wife said I dont think you want that hat. I was on a Princess cruise line and it had Princess in big letters on the front.lol

I have always worn a hat when fly fishing and if by some goofy reason I have forgotten it I will either turn around and go back home to get a hat. If I am too far away to go back I will just buy another at a fly shop. I have no allegiance to any one hat. I have probably eight hats. I prefer the long captains brim style. If I'm in the west I wear a neat hat I found on line with not only a cape to cover my neck but also a thin cotton buff that can be snapped on or off.

I have had a buff for many years but just can't stand wearing it. When I used to smoke it was a nuisance and was always flipping up the bottom to take a drag. When I wasn't smoking it just always felt hot and constricting. Now if I don't wear the snap on face shield one of my hats I just take one of those red or blue cotton paisley handkerchiefs and flip one side over to make a bandit style and knot it behind my head. When it is 100 degrees in Montana I slip it in the river, squeeze it out, and re-tie it around my neck. It cools me off immediately and keeps me cool for about 15 minutes.

Nymph-wristed wrote:

So you wear a hat one time and throw it out? Seems awfully wasteful to me.

I'd like to find a hat that has a wide enough brim to prevent sunburn, that works with Flip Focals, doesn't look dorky, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Does any such thing exist?

I can't fish without a hat, kind of like playing baseball. I usually wear a camo ball cap.

I usually wear a camo or dull-colored fishing cap. But, my favorite of all: I found it on an obscure section of creek in a mud puddle while leaving the creek one evening. I had to wash it three times just to get the stench out of it. My wife and a couple of her friends were disgusted by what I did. The cap is pretty well shot now after 10 years, but I still wear it occasionally during cold/cool weather (it's made from kind of heavy material).

Young guys: Don't go bareheaded. At 68, I'm paying for that with dry patches of scalp, a couple of which were low-level cancerous and had to be removed. My scalp could get much worse, so even if you have a good head of hair, be sure to wear a hat.

Hats are nice. Hats cover my head. Hats keep sun off my face. I like hats. In particular, there is one I wear all the time. This hat is from Vermont. I like that hat even though it's dirty and it has shrunk a bit from soaking up all my sweat. I like a broken in hat. A hat that feels like it's supposed to be there. I don't care for flashy logos on my hat. I like the mesh back. Always the mesh back. If my head is too cold and my hat isn't keeping it warm, I just throw a beanie on top of it. Functional. When it gets warm, I just take the beanie off. And there is my hat, still on my head.
Hats are nice.

rrt wrote: Young guys: Don't go bareheaded. At 68, I'm paying for that with dry patches of scalp, a couple of which were low-level cancerous and had to be removed. My scalp could get much worse, so even if you have a good head of hair, be sure to wear a hat.

I have Italian heritage and tan very easily. Regardless, I do burn if out on a body of water for hours during peak UV times (June - August)

I always wore a baseball cap fishing (usually dull or camo). A few years ago, my teen aged son commented, after a day of fishing, that my ears were really red. After that, I favor a western-style hat with a wide rim to shade my ears. There is a circumferential mesh vent so it's comfortable to wear during those peak UV times.

To me, a hat is basic outdoors PPE.

A hat and sunscreen. When they freeze the top of your head for precancer it isn't fun. The more sun the wider the brim. GG

I wear a tilly hat. I have to wear flip down glasses as well and the brim will support the glass ones that are of a higher quality. The brim its too big that the lenses aren't too far forward to use.

Correction to above post. The brim ISN'T too big/long. You can wear the flip downs.

Back