Fishing Glass, Kicking ***......

jifigz

jifigz

Hello, welcome back and thanks for tuning in to Jifigz' small stream excursions. In this episode, we highlight gorgeous stream scenery with lots of browns caught by the dry/dropper method.

Headed to a small creek today. Used a parachute March Brown size 10 with a Kish Killer (a nymph of my own creation) as the dropper. Caught about 30 in 2 hours. It was just perfect. Trout everywhere and in every likely spot at least one willing to eat. Most fish took the dropper nymph, but maybe 4 ate the dry. Small Stream Sunday......maybe that should become a trout enthusiast's trend.

I love the small stream angling. No people, lots of fish, peace, and serenity.

My best fish is pictured below. Lots of little guys and some medium sized fish. But that one was a good one for how small the stream is.
PXL 20230423 170414173

PXL 20230423 171029718
PXL 20230423 170209304
PXL 20230423 161419487

Awesome! Small streams are where it's at. That one brown is a good fish anywhere. Beautiful wild browns.

Looks like it was a good morning at "church"

From the photos, it looks like Spring has sprung in your area. Next weekend will be my first fishing in the Poconos or anywhere else since the summer. I can't wait.

From the photos, it looks like Spring has sprung in your area. Next weekend will be my first fishing in the Poconos or anywhere else since the summer. I can't wait.
Go get em. Spring has definitely arrived. The bite was on good, too.

Within the next two weeks I'm planning on getting the Tripper out on the Juniata with my glass 8 weight. That one will be titled "Fishing Glass, Catching Bass."

Take care Owen and have fun at the R&G club.

I am glad that the Tripper has a home on the Juniata River again. It has been adventured all the way from Huntingdon to Duncannon. Next year it will 40 years old with many years left for adventure and fishing.

Awesome looking little creek!

Hey jifigz.

Great pix and really nice fish. We all need more days like that when it seemingly all comes together.

Tell us a little more about what you pulled off the rack that morning: custom build glass? Something factory? Length and line weight?

Just curious - I build and fish a lot of glass and wanted to know what catches fish like that in quantity!

Hey jifigz.

Great pix and really nice fish. We all need more days like that when it seemingly all comes together.

Tell us a little more about what you pulled off the rack that morning: custom build glass? Something factory? Length and line weight?

Just curious - I build and fish a lot of glass and wanted to know what catches fish like that in quantity!
That sir is an Orvis Superfine 7'6" 4 weight. I love glass and use it exclusively for smallmouth. That was my first time grabbing my Orvis in a while.

That sir is an Orvis Superfine 7'6" 4 weight. I love glass and use it exclusively for smallmouth. That was my first time grabbing my Orvis in a while.
Test casted one of these at the local TCO. Was absolutely delighted at how nice it cast and how accurate it was. Nice tool!

Imagine how good that would be if you had water!

Such a great way to fish on the weekends too (y)

Hello, welcome back and thanks for tuning in to Jifigz' small stream excursions. In this episode, we highlight gorgeous stream scenery with lots of browns caught by the dry/dropper method.

Headed to a small creek today. Used a parachute March Brown size 10 with a Kish Killer (a nymph of my own creation) as the dropper. Caught about 30 in 2 hours. It was just perfect. Trout everywhere and in every likely spot at least one willing to eat. Most fish took the dropper nymph, but maybe 4 ate the dry. Small Stream Sunday......maybe that should become a trout enthusiast's trend.

I love the small stream angling. No people, lots of fish, peace, and serenity.

My best fish is pictured below. Lots of little guys and some medium sized fish. But that one was a good one for how small the stream is.View attachment 1641229963
View attachment 1641229960View attachment 1641229961View attachment 1641229962
I would love to know what the Kish Killer looks like! If its a secret fly - do not share it! I have a few patterns of my own that I keep close. Looks like an awesome day on the water!

I would love to know what the Kish Killer looks like! If its a secret fly - do not share it! I have a few patterns of my own that I keep close. Looks like an awesome day on the water!
I will offer a description of the Kish Killer and maybe later I will try to get a picture of it up. While I say I "invented" the fly and it did just come to me at the vise and sort of sprang up from my imagination, I will admit I stole themes from patterns I already tie and use. There are only so many ways to lash stuff to a hook so maybe even the exact fly is out there with a name already, I don't know. But my Kish Killer is as follows.

Bead color of your choosing on a curved shank hook, such as a scud, caddis, emerger hook, whatever. I tie them on the BWO "caddis" hooks.

Tail is Flexi-flox. A strand tied and splayed out so it pops off each side of back of the hook. I generally tie it with either orange or red brassie sized ultra wire and a peacock herl body. counter-wrap the wire up the herl after the body has been built. I gennerally use 2 or 3 herl strands for the body. Tie in a black, very small hackle and put a few hackle wraps right behind the bead for legs, antennae, or just general "bugginess." Then tie in 2 black goose biots splayed in the same way the white biots are on a Prince Nymph. On the curved shank hook the biots lay off of the body of the fly quite a bit and look sweet. Then I build up either the red or orange hot spot with thread and whip finish. Voila. A fly that fishes beautifully in caddis heavy streams, such as Kish.

Like I said, it may already exist but who knows. A prince nymph is one of my favorite and go-to nymphs and obviously I stole some serious attributes from it. Enjoy.

Trout, amazing fish that live in beautiful places.

Those are some mighty fine looking browns! Impressive what comes out of these little creeks. Very nicely done @jifigz, this has been the best thing I've seen all day!

I too enjoy fishing glass, I have an Epic in the same configuration as your SF.

Back