Fishing gamechangers for smallies

S

sreedy47

F79BA51B 5E5A 420B A96D 72060CB9177F

I attached a picture of a laser changer I recently tied. My question is to those that fish them for smallmouth, how is your retrieve? What kind of line do you fish them with? I have a slow sink, sink tip that gets it down but I was wondering if I should invest in an intermediate line instead? Thanks for the help!

I have yet to try that particular pattern but have some for this year.

For smallmouth or streamer fishing in general I like to fish an intermediate line. Sometimes I attach a poly leader in the fastest sink rate (7/8 inches per second). You can fish the poly leader off of a floating line too, I just like the intermediate line as it keeps a straighter connection to my fly. I'd stay away from full sink lines unless you are fishing deep ponds as the sink lines tend to get caught up in the rocks when fishing moving water. When using a full sink line all of the line sinks at the same rate. Take it from a man who tried to toss 300 grain full sink line on the Tully.

For rods, a good stiff 7 or 8wt rod would be good to have to move these wind resistant flies, especially when they get water logged. I like saltwater rods for the added stiffness.

For retrieves it's always up to the fish to decide the tempo. Coldwater usually requires a slower retrieve as opposed to a faster retrieve in warmer water. You'll just have to cast around and figure out what the fish want. Who knows, maybe your particular method of streamer fishing may just be what the fish want. I have found a good tactic is to cast downstream and let the streamer swing over to the desired area you wish to fish, then, once it is in there really strip it to make it seem like a baitfish that just swam into the wrong part of the neighborhood.

As for the fly itself you can experiment with weight and curtail it to the desired waters you are fishing. Your tie looks good. This is the kind of fly that I would fish in clearer water as it has more natural colors and resembles a creek chub very nicely. I would use this fly in chartreuse and/or white in stained water and black in "chocolate milk" colored water. These are hard flies to tie so I commend you on making this very fine example of a gamechanger. Let us know how it fishes.

Last edited:
They sure work great. I’m usually throwing them for Muskie. I run my own mono leader. The more weight the harder they are to throw. Just a steady strip is all you need let them sink in the holes. Or just let them swim in the current.

Attachments

• EF742B58-AD7F-40B4-ADE9-B71DC6A750A9.jpeg
    EF742B58-AD7F-40B4-ADE9-B71DC6A750A9.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 29
I have yet to try that particular pattern but have some for this year.

For smallmouth or streamer fishing in general I like to fish an intermediate line. Sometimes I attach a poly leader in the fastest sink rate (7/8 inches per second). You can fish the poly leader off of a floating line too, I just like the intermediate line as it keeps a straighter connection to my fly. I'd stay away from full sink lines unless you are fishing deep ponds as the sink lines tend to get caught up in the rocks when fishing moving water. When using a full sink line all of the line sinks at the same rate. Take it from a man who tried to toss 300 grain full sink line on the Tully.

For rods, a good stiff 7 or 8wt rod would be good to have to move these wind resistant flies, especially when they get water logged. I like saltwater rods for the added stiffness.

For retrieves it's always up to the fish to decide the tempo. Coldwater usually requires a slower retrieve as opposed to a faster retrieve in warmer water. You'll just have to cast around and figure out what the fish want. Who knows, maybe your particular method of streamer fishing may just be what the fish want. I have found a good tactic is to cast downstream and let the streamer swing over to the desired area you wish to fish, then, once it is in there really strip it to make it seem like a baitfish that just swam into the wrong part of the neighborhood.

As for the fly itself you can experiment with weight and curtail it to the desired waters you are fishing. Your tie looks good. This is the kind of fly that I would fish in clearer water as it has more natural colors and resembles a creek chub very nicely. I would use this fly in chartreuse and/or white in stained water and black in "chocolate milk" colored water. These are hard flies to tie so I commend you on making this very fine example of a gamechanger. Let us know how it fishes.
Thank you! I am going to get out this weekend and test it out! Hopefully the water will be down and be a little clearer after the rain.

Try the gear you have first and see how it works. You may want an int line or int tip or full sinker.

Also you can do some lead wire wraps on the bend of the hook to keel weight the fly (easier to do before tying on the fly but possible afterward). Do some wraps and either break or cut the lead close to the hook and apply some uv glue. Try it on the back hook only, front hook only, on both, on neither. You’ll see different actions for each and with just wrapping and uv gluing the lead to the hook you can pinch it off and remove it. Fun flies to mess with

Are you guys tying your own game changers for smallmouth? If so, what size hooks and articulated spines are you using?

Nice tie! I use an 8 WT for river SMB. I have one rigged with an intermediate shooting head and one with a floating line. I use the floating line 90% of the time but this is just about totally dependent on depth and current. I only fish for SMB in the summer when the water is typically under 5’ with minimal current. I use a 6 WT with floating line when I’m fishing SMB in small streams where wind is typically less of an issue.

I would say I catch a lot simply letting the streamer swing in the current followed by a large strip or two. I try this approach first. If you watch you will see that SMB in clear water will follow your offering and really look it over before committing and strike it when they are forced to make a decision. There are days where any retrieve or no retrieve will catch them so just try it all until you find what they are after.

As far as the game changers go, they will catch fish but I don’t waste my time or money on them. I’ve tied them and fished them in the past but I find a simple Clouser still out fishes or even fishes any other streamer out there on most days. Every pattern has its moment in the sun but I see no added value in game changers when targeting SMB.

Are you guys tying your own game changers for smallmouth? If so, what size hooks and articulated spines are you using?
You might wanna play with it for smallmouth. Like I mentioned mine are for Muskie so I use a 6/0 octopus eagle claw. Then I make my own shafts. So I’m not sure a what sizes they sell but I like at least two medium shafts for body and one small for tail. They come around 5”.
Not sure what kind of material you bought. If it’s hareline chockletts body wrap then I cut in half for tail and middle body. Full piece for main head and body. So I’m not wasting money and material.

I followed this tying tutorial from Schultz Outfitters laser changer, mine came in around 4.5inches in length

27697E2C A800 42E9 9C96 2D9751C3C16E

Can save time and shanks occasionally with a dragon tail/half changer(something i make for bigger 8-9” streamers)
756E5FCB 517D 4EF9 9AC7 AFBD81E1E4E6

Sometimes I make the whole thing
DDD7BA41 51E9 49BE B162 D7FF4AA9C5C6

Sculpin wool makes a nice belly scratcher changer
40187B7C DDF8 4851 9DA1 9BA63B1588B7

Ep fibers are my favorite but too expensive to toe with regularity
086AFE55 5914 4299 9627 0805A558D9B6

Tie most game
Changers with saddles

Back