Fishing for recovery

F

Frederick V. C.

Not going to bore everyone with details but fighting to regain quality of life after a major surgery. The doctors way undersold the recovery part, btw.

Drove my truck for the first time in over a month yesterday, and went to my happy place. (local lake) After dropping my soaked pad and paper towels in a conveniently located trash can I proceeded (slowly as I'm still a bit wobbly) to the sunken roadbed which provides good footing and structure on either side. Nylon shorts and water shoes allowed me enough depth to cover any problems my body was having.

The sun was already getting hot (about 8am) but luckily there was a little mixed cloud cover when I hooked and landed my first Bluegill; already a moral victory! It was slow but managed a small bass, medium crappie and several gills before total fatigue set in. Every fish hit a sunken ant behind a smallish popper, though I missed a couple on the popper. First time I've felt alive in quite awhile and one of the things I focused on while hospitalized. Maybe the lawn mover next; actually excited about that.

Congratulations! Glad you had a victory. Do not go quietly into that good night.......

Good to hear from you. I've noticed radio silence for a few weeks now. Glad to hear you are on the mend, and yes, ffishing is indeed great therapy.

Great job getting out. FFing is very good for recovery especially for those ailments above the shoulders.

Emboldened by my recent success I returned to my local lake yesterday. It was sunny and warm, even at 8 pm, but nobody shore fishing when I got there.

Picked away at small to medium gills and crappie with the popper dropper combo for about an hour when the bite seemed to die off. Was almost back to shore (and my other rod rigged to fish down) when I casually flipped a cast on the opposite side of the roadbed I had been fishing. Bam! A solid 8" gill; the first of many.

Long story short, the big gills were ganged up within ten feet of the structure and for awhile hit on every cast. Crazy bite that was equivalent to fishing over spawning beds. Despite having a blast; I ran out of energy and quit before ten just as a bus load of kids was arriving for some sort of Cabela's event. Still a ways to go but really needed the positive boost! Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Fishing sounds like the best recovery. Glad you are on the mend and continued success!

I feel your pain. I had to give up fishing and my swaps for ~ a 7-year period due to dialysis and then my kidney transplant. You'll really appreciate your health after you get it back! Best of luck.

Kim

Very happy to hear you're mending nicely. Just remember, attitude is everything!
Nicely = slowly. Physically able to get more stuff done but training my neo bladder is proving frustrating. Went back this am and wreaked more havoc. Trying to keep my eye on the prize and happy to be cancer free.

I had my 1st hip replacement over the summer several years ago. Once I got pretty mobile, I drove to Penns and stood on the rocks at Stillhouse Hollow. I don't know that I fished.
Syl

Back