Fishing emergers

littlelehigh

littlelehigh

So it looks like many prefer to fish emergers (and parachutes)to standard dry flies.

Every time I hit the water there seems to be few or sporatic rises. Do you blind cast to the best lies even though you haven't seen a fish come up there or specifically find a fish that is rising regularly and try to time him.

I really wanna do more dry fly fishing but prefer the constants when doing so like during trico season.

I am also lazy and don't wanna breakdown my nymph set up for 1 fish. So how do you guys do it?

I only switch over where there are consistant rises (or if there's a possibility for a hatch).

If it doesn't work out my dry leader can substitute for a nymph leader and I always still catch fish.

I wil fish for possible fish blindly, but I like to see a rise first.

Remember, if you see a rise that's not neccessarily where the fish is. That fish way have moved a few feet to attack that bug. This happens all the time on Fishing Creek.

Just as with nymphing, you drift your fly where you think the fish may be located. If the fish are actively rising, however, there is no need to speculate and so you target the fish. I do observe at least two rises, maybe three if they come within minutes of one another. If I see a rise and wait more than a minute or two to see if the fish will rise again, I will drift the lie anyway as I have little patience.

When a hatch is on and any given trout is taking flies rythmically, then there is some effort to delay one's cast so as to have the fly drift past the feeding point at a time when the trout should be repositioned to observe your drift. In this regard, after observing a rise, I focus on the surface location of the rise and call this the "feeding point." I assume that the observation lie for the fish is downstream. In shallow or fast water, less downstream, in deeper or slow water, more likely 3-4 feet downstream. I try to land my fly far enough upstream of the feeding point so that the fly has attained some equillibrium with the surface just before it reaches the feeding point.

On rarer occasions, you might notice the direction the trout used to approach a natural (i.e., from the side or even from upstream) and adjust your perspective on where the trout is holding. When called for by logic, you might consider altering your casting position and drift accordingly.

Sorry, just daydreaming....

in the early and mid springtime like now, im usually always nymphing. but occasonally ill run across a trout that is in surface mode. that fish is a sure fire catch almost all of the time, granted if you make good casts on him. for this particular senario when there are no major hatches going on a 16-14 griffiths nat is a universal fly for this situation. trust me it works ive done it many times. and as for being lazy and not wanting to change setups, i cant understand that. but if i know i can catch him i will, cuz hes not going anywhere till i get my rig changed.

Unless there are constant risers, I rarely switch to dries... probably why I need to work on my technique and hooksets. Once teh summer rolls around, it's fun to put on an ant or bettle and cover water, blind casting to likely spots... but at the same time an ant fished subsurface catches fish 2 to 1.

Back